4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

two problems im haveing wit my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:32 PM
brotherhood of tq

two problems im haveing wit my car

Hey guys n gals, heres the story. A while ago my alternator gave out on me n for some odd reason my emergency brake light and the battery light came on all the time. so i replaced the battery and the alternator and thus the ever on dash lights ( e-brake and the battery one) went off. Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I've now noticed that those same two light would flash on and off at the oddest times. It seems to only go on whenever i go over 3000 rpm. it comes on and once i shift it goes away. I thought it was my imagination so i wold run different gears up past 3000 and alas like clock work those two damn light would flash on. I'm completly stumped as to wats going on wit my car. Im not sure if something isnt grounded properly or if my alternator is going again which would suck seeing how this one is barely 6 months old. and its not the batery cause the heads are on tight and the car starts with no problem. And to make matters worse i think that my gas guage my be broken. for those of us living in the northeast, we just had a couple of very cold days and i didnt fill up my tank again till 2nite and the gauage for some damn reason doesnt want to move. It also took for ever for the gas to be pumped into my tank. So this has also puzzeled me. Hopefully somebody out there would have some ideas on wats wrong wit my car and could give me some advice.
Thanx,
will
Old 12-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You either have a belt slipping or your recently replaced alternator is acting up.

As far as the gas goes, perhaps the pump was just a lil slow?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:19 PM

Finally someone with my same problem. I have the exact same issue with my battery and brake light comming on simultaneously every now and then. Let me tell you what i have found. For me they only come on when I'm under 2000-2500 rpm. Also it is very subtle but when the lights are on all the electrical in the car dims sligltly. So a couple weeks ago I finally got tired of them coming on (they arent on all the time, just every now and then, enough to annoy). So i looked ad everything and my positive cable had a ton of corrosion on it. I cleaned it off and no lights anymore since then. I cant guarantee that the corrosion clean fixed the issue, and if it didnt i would guess the belt issue, since i do have a bazillion miles on the original belts. Hmmm any other feedback would be useful. We cannot be the only ones with this issue.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:12 PM
brotherhood of tq

I would have thought that my belts were to blame but i just bought new belts about 3 weeks ago. So hopefully my belts arent acting up.

dmplus i have the same kinda dimming of the light and ur right its really very subtle. For a while my dome light wouldn't turn on even though the bulb is fine. Im gonna clean my battery cables and hopefully that would solve the problem. I'll try that 2morrow and hopefully my problem would be solved. But im curious to here if anybody else has that same problem.... can't be just me and u who has lights poping up.