4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

fog light wire color in steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

fog light wire color in steering column?

I have had it. My 99 I30 just won't accept the usual fog light rewire so I am going to wire directly from the fog light switch wire in the steering column. I really don't want to hang upside down under my dash for hours trying to find the correct wire - so which wire is it? Or is it easier just to pull the signal/light switch from the column and pick it up there?

I figure I will rewire the entire fog light system and bypass all the factory wiring and use my own relays and heavier guage wire. I have done it many times to past cars.

Thanks

Al
Old 12-26-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by largestal
I have had it. My 99 I30 just won't accept the usual fog light rewire so I am going to wire directly from the fog light switch wire in the steering column. I really don't want to hang upside down under my dash for hours trying to find the correct wire - so which wire is it? Or is it easier just to pull the signal/light switch from the column and pick it up there?

I figure I will rewire the entire fog light system and bypass all the factory wiring and use my own relays and heavier guage wire. I have done it many times to past cars.

Thanks

Al

Al,

Unless the 99s are different the rewire is identical to the 4th Gen. I recently rewired my 96, I initially followed instructions in I30 forum but they were written for a 5th Gen, the directions should be the same. Good Luck,

Pat
Old 12-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nope, my 99 is different. The relay box on the passenger side under the hood is wired slightly different. Not just the wire colors, but also in their purpose.

I have tried all combinations of grounding/power/changing relays . I just want the wire color coming off of the fog light switch without having to lay under the dash for a few hours myself. (Too old and not too limber anymore!)

I'm gonna rewire that sucker to the way it should have been wired in the first place!

If I can't find the wire in the next day or so the steering column is coming out this weekend and I will do a write-up on rewiring the entire fog light system and making it completely independent of anything else in the car, including using new relays and wiring harnesses so I can upgrade the lights with more POWER!!! he he he