4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My Trunk Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Trunk Won't Open

i have a 95 maxima and my trunk won't open. Neither the remote or the button on the door works, it clicks but doesn't open. I had this problem once before and had my little cousin unlock the trunk from the inside but it happened again a couple of weeks later. i heard that when this happens the key should still work to open the trunk but my key won't turn. anybody know why it won't turn? also is there a way to fold down the rear seat or an easy way to take it off so i can unlock the trunk from the inside?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The key should work...then inside on the lock there is like a child safety thing...you have to click that back to where it was...

-matt
Old 01-03-2004, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by xhoangx
i have a 95 maxima and my trunk won't open. Neither the remote or the button on the door works, it clicks but doesn't open. I had this problem once before and had my little cousin unlock the trunk from the inside but it happened again a couple of weeks later. i heard that when this happens the key should still work to open the trunk but my key won't turn. anybody know why it won't turn? also is there a way to fold down the rear seat or an easy way to take it off so i can unlock the trunk from the inside?

Mine came with the cable trunk release. I just installed a keyless entry system, and to get the trunk to release I put a solenoid in the trunk. While messing with it, the only time my trunk wouldn't release was when the latch mechanism on the car side (not the mechanism part in the trunk door itself) was moved down. I'm not sure what the best way to get the trunk to open from the inside, although there's that little door in the middle of the back seat. I guess you'll have to take your rear seats off? Anyway, once you get it open you should be able to play with that mechanism and pop it up or down. Make sure it's in the up position before you close the trunk. If it is getting moved to the down position on its own, maybe the cable is too loose or it's rubbing against something? This probably didn't help much, but it's the best I can do. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:32 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by matty
The key should work...then inside on the lock there is like a child safety thing...you have to click that back to where it was...

-matt

exact same thing happened to me, I leaned on the trunk for just a sec, heard a pop, then tried to open the trunk with the remote & door but no luck. It's the child lock for sure...should take u about 5 seconds to fix
Old 01-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alright, i got my little cousin to crawl through the little door and fix it again. but, my key still won't turn?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:30 PM

alright, i got my little cousin to crawl through the little door and fix it again. but, my key still won't turn?
Only the original key opens the trunk. Were you able to open it with that key before? If not, then maybe it is a copy. You can get an original one at the Dealer, but I don't know how much that will cost you there
hopefully not much.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:34 PM

your cousin could fit through the pass through and was old enough to open the trunk from the inside?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i don't know if the key worked before because i always used either the remote or the button on the door but it is the original key, i've also tried the spare key but it still won't turn. by the way my little cousin is in 6th grade
Old 01-04-2004, 12:28 PM

couldn't the trunk keyhole just be frozen from not being used? I got my max used and the keyhole never worked..until some random time when I tried it and it did work. not sure if it still does though