4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Increasing the heater temperature mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:00 PM

Increasing the heater temperature mod.

I remember seeing a write up on increasing the temerature of the Max's heater. Can anybody provide a link or a how to on how to perform this modification.

It's going to be a high of 3 degree F tomorrow in Minneapolis. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by bosa1
I remember seeing a write up on increasing the temerature of the Max's heater. Can anybody provide a link or a how to on how to perform this modification.

It's going to be a high of 3 degree F tomorrow in Minneapolis. Thanks.
I too would like to know how to do this mod.....winter is here!
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 PM

me too////////////////////
Old 01-04-2004, 11:07 PM

Old 01-04-2004, 11:08 PM

I don't know how, but I imagine Nissan made it only go up to 80 for a reason...it probably isn't too safe. Just a guess.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:08 AM

80? i have a 99 SE with the Auto climate control and my temp goes upto 85
Old 01-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

some Honda climate controls go up to 90 degrees...hummm
Old 01-05-2004, 12:39 AM

my escalades climate control goes to 90, vette goes to 95... odd
Old 01-05-2004, 03:01 AM

Heh, I'm looking for the opposite, I want colder! It's the middle of summer here and we're getting 40C degrees (102F degrees)
Old 01-05-2004, 06:43 AM

I remember seeing a write up to increase hot temp by 10 deg. F and AC by 10 deg. F.

It's a high of 0 deg. F/low -12 deg. F in Minneapolis today.

I need the extra 10 degrees F.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I remember seeing a write up to increase hot temp by 10 deg. F and AC by 10 deg. F.

It's a high of 0 deg. F/low -12 deg. F in Minneapolis today.

I need the extra 10 degrees F.
Are you saying that there is a way that we can make our range go from 55F - 95F, up/down from the stock 65F - 85F?

I'm curious now... who's got 'search' access here??

EDIT: Okay I JUST got my search access enabled... (thanks Jane)... I'll see what I can dig up for you guys (and myself) on this issue.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:57 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

i want that......my 5th gen goes from 60 to 90.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 PM

come on guys... 80 or 85 is more then enough... esp. it's not like the car will warm up quicker with this mod or anything
Old 01-05-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by theblue
come on guys... 80 or 85 is more then enough... esp. it's not like the car will warm up quicker with this mod or anything

You'll have super huge sweat stains in your pits, and it'll be 0 degrees outside, and people will think you're weird...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:28 PM
ABK

lol that's ****en funny, I can't stop laughing.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:17 AM

Dude if your really ****ed about the cold do what I did. One have heated seats and two buy a good auto starter and start you car out your window in the morning since I live in a apartment and wait like exactly five minutes and sit in nice heated leather, and enjoy preheated car.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I keep my temp around 72 on really cold days. Thats plenty warm enough inside a cars cabin. As theblue said, your car will not heat up any quicker by turning up the temp.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:49 AM

Sorry guys but you are incorrect regarding the way to heat up my car’s cabin when it’s dark outside, temperature is in the negative degree F range while traveling at highway speeds.

Let’s use the simple laws of thermodynamics:
A) The heater is throwing out a volume of air each minute, let’s say 100 cubic liters. Temperature of the air is at 85 degrees F. With this output we have a very specific amount of energy being introduced into the car’s cabin. Because it is dark outside, there is no increase in temperature from the greenhouse effect due to the lack of sunlight during a predawn 25 minute commute.

B) The insulating property of glass is not great so we are loosing energy (heat) from that source and we are also loosing energy from other parts of the car’s cabin in contact with the outside ambient temperature.

What we end up with at the end of my commute are cold feet and cold hands. This does not occur when temps are +10 degrees F. Increasing the heater temperature output would increase the amount of heat in the cabin (energy introduced (A) minus energy loss from energy transfer from outside ambient (B) = final cabin temperature).

In conclusion, a 10 degrees increase in cabin heater output would help increase the final temperature of the car’s cabin on really cold mornings. Heated seats would help and I’m in the process of looking for a good junkyard full leather seat package (front and rear).

I’m still hoping somebody has some information on how to perform this 10 degree modification. Thanks
Old 01-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Kevlo for President

60 is the 5th gen max does not feel any cooler then the 65 on mine. and 90 on the 5th gen feels the same as my 85

no point to do this
Old 01-06-2004, 09:05 AM

When it's zero outside I keep my recirculate system closed. (it's the button on the far left right above the fan switch.) This means the heater is reheating inside air and not pulling in outside air. That helps quite a bit.
Also, don't run your defroster at all. It kicks the AC on whether you want it or not.
Instead, to keep your windows frost free crack open one of the back windows or the sunnroof if you have one. I open the roof a crack and this allows the moisture from my "sweaty pits" to escape rather than freeze on the glass.

The other thing I do in winter is block airflow to at least half of the radiator.
This means at highway speeds my cooling system will be at max temp and therefore my heater will also be at max temp.

This should be ALL that you need to do.
If you aren't getting enough heat this way you have a BAD thermostat and mod'ing the heater won't help.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by maximomo
When it's zero outside I keep my recirculate system closed. (it's the button on the far left right above the fan switch.) This means the heater is reheating inside air and not pulling in outside air. That helps quite a bit.
Also, don't run your defroster at all. It kicks the AC on whether you want it or not.
Instead, to keep your windows frost free crack open one of the back windows or the sunnroof if you have one. I open the roof a crack and this allows the moisture from my "sweaty pits" to escape rather than freeze on the glass.
Thanks for the idea Maximomo.

Sometimes I activate the recirculate feature but the windows ice/fog up. I'll try the window cracking method with recirculate on. I will not be a fan of the wind/road noise though. I'll see if the windows stay clear with this method.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by maximomo

The other thing I do in winter is block airflow to at least half of the radiator.
This means at highway speeds my cooling system will be at max temp and therefore my heater will also be at max temp.

This should be ALL that you need to do.
If you aren't getting enough heat this way you have a BAD thermostat and mod'ing the heater won't help.

Guys I tried searching last night, but came up with nothing.

I thought the reason the A/C kicked in when you put the defroster was to clear up the windows, it makes the heater throw out dry hot air, instead of the hot humid air. I do this all the time and the car still gets prette darn warm. I live in San Diego, it has gotten into the low 30s F here at night, but it is not as cold as the temperatures that you guys deal with .
Old 01-06-2004, 07:02 PM

Sorry guys but you are incorrect regarding the way to heat up my car’s cabin when it’s dark outside, temperature is in the negative degree F range while traveling at highway speeds.

Let’s use the simple laws of thermodynamics:
A) The heater is throwing out a volume of air each minute, let’s say 100 cubic liters. Temperature of the air is at 85 degrees F. With this output we have a very specific amount of energy being introduced into the car’s cabin. Because it is dark outside, there is no increase in temperature from the greenhouse effect due to the lack of sunlight during a predawn 25 minute commute.

B) The insulating property of glass is not great so we are loosing energy (heat) from that source and we are also loosing energy from other parts of the car’s cabin in contact with the outside ambient temperature.

What we end up with at the end of my commute are cold feet and cold hands. This does not occur when temps are +10 degrees F. Increasing the heater temperature output would increase the amount of heat in the cabin (energy introduced (A) minus energy loss from energy transfer from outside ambient (B) = final cabin temperature).

In conclusion, a 10 degrees increase in cabin heater output would help increase the final temperature of the car’s cabin on really cold mornings. Heated seats would help and I’m in the process of looking for a good junkyard full leather seat package (front and rear).

I’m still hoping somebody has some information on how to perform this 10 degree modification. Thanks

knock it off.. get a girl, and warm yourselves together on the rear seat !
Old 01-06-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by twiggy144
knock it off.. get a girl, and warm yourselves together on the rear seat !
... and have her "wax" my leather seats??? No thanks!

I DO however have a blanket in my trunk for any such occasions!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:56 PM

I think many of you are under the wrong impression of how the temp setting in your car works. Just because you set it at 80 doesn't mean it blows 80 degree air. If the temp in your car is 30, it's going to set the vent doors to route the max amount of air through the heater core. As it aproaches 80 in the cabin, less air is routed throught the heater core. Being able to set it to 90 won't help. It will still route the max amount of air through the heater core. As long as the door is operating to route the max amount of air through the heater core, the only way to increase the temp of the air then is to increase the temp of the coolant running through your engine. You may try putting cardboard in front of the radiator. This should at least heat your engine quicker, giving you warm air faster.