4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with driver's side drive shaft install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Help with driver's side drive shaft install

I recently replaced my passenger side drive shaft b/c the boot failed (resulting in grease everywhere). Upon inspecting the driver's side, the rubber wasn't looking very healthy either, so I was proactive in replacing the drive shaft. This did not go as smoothly as the passenger side. The issue is that the clip on the spline doesn't engage in the transmission at all. This causes the shaft to slide in and out of the transmission on hard turns causing transmission fluid leaks. I got the drive shafts at Pep Boys (the only place I could find near me). It could be that they gave me the wrong part however from what I recall, they looked fine next to eachother. I've also tried several times to pull and reinstall the part with similar results. Am I missing something? I didn't experice this with the original driveshaft on the four times I had it out to drop the tranny. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Clayton
Old 01-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm performing the same operation on my car, and having sort of the same problem. I thought I had the shaft seated correctly, but after I filled the (manual) transmission with fluid , it started leaking out at the transmission-driveaxle junction. There was still about a half inch of space between the tranny and the axle, but I cant drive the axle in any farther, and now I can't even get the axle out! This is extremely frustrating...I was so close to success, but now it feels like I'm farther away than ever.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm doing this next weekend, sux. How much did you guys pay and how long did it take for you to get your part? Special order?

I've replaced the differential seal before and never had problems taking out the axle or replacing them. Can you see what its being caught on?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmmm , it brings memory....
I have helped to install the drivers side axle on 95 maxima with 365K miles and the old one was so worn out that it pretty much fell out of the tranny during suspension install.
we've tried to put it back in , but it wouln't lock...
got the new one from NAPA - and that puppy went in like a charm !!!

give it a nice tug , it should pop right in

Nick
Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM

The drive shaft (reman) cost ~$60 from Pepboys, with a $50 core fee. No special order, they had it in stock. There is nothing in the transmission or elsewhere that is blocking it. It's pressed in as far as it will go.

I've tried tugging, but to no avail. I've tried hitting it with a sledge hammer (using a punch) with no luck either. Actually, to get the drive shaft into the transmission I had to smack it with the hammer. No way able to do it by hand.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've always had Maxima ones go in fairly easy, just get them to the point where the clip is to the detent then smack them with a brass hammer to seat them. I did have a problem with an Accord once, though it was in only to have is pop out during driving. Put it back up on the lift, and lined everything up and it wouldn't snap in fully. Finally smacked it good with the brass hammer (2 lb), and it popped in. I was a little wary of hitting it so hard, but a mechanic friend said that's the only way sometimes.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:06 PM

The axle you got from Pep boys could be about 0.5" shorter than your original one. NAPA and Autozone had my driver's axle listed wrong. Turns out that I needed the axle for an automatic when I really have a manual tranny. I think since I drove with it so long with the wrong axle, it messed up my differential gear bearings and now it makes a horrible wuh-wuh-wuh sound in all gears.

If it moves out of the tranny by more than 2mm, it's either in not all the way or you've got the wrong axle. Good luck.