4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

VLSD (I hope) on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

VLSD (I hope) on the way!

Well, I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. After about 15 phone calls with the company I bought my "VLSD" tranny from, they have located a real VLSD tranny and are shipping it today!

Hopefully this one will actually turn out to be a VLSD unit. If it does, I will be posting the differences between them so the question "How do I know if a tranny has a VLSD?" will have a definitive answer.

On a side-note: Does anyone know of a good place to buy MT-90?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:39 PM

I just got my VLSD installed, i like it a lot. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
OG :)

which companies did you guys use?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sryth
Well, I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. After about 15 phone calls with the company I bought my "VLSD" tranny from, they have located a real VLSD tranny and are shipping it today!

Hopefully this one will actually turn out to be a VLSD unit. If it does, I will be posting the differences between them so the question "How do I know if a tranny has a VLSD?" will have a definitive answer.

As i said in the other post ("cv axles (again)")
Originally Posted by maxima98vspec

well the best way to tell if it is a lsd..........jack up one tire off the ground, and try to spin it with the oposite tire on the ground, it it spins freely its not a lsd, but if it doesn't then it is........there is also another lsd that as u spin the tire the clutch in the lsd will heat up and expand (which is the vlsd) and cause the tire to turn harder and harder eventualy it will lock up, try thoes.........so if the tires spins freely u don't have it, but if any of the other things happen then u do.

and yea where did u get ur vlsd tranny and how much was it
Old 02-11-2004, 05:00 PM

If it is a VLSD, then spinning one tire will spin the other in the same direction. Also if you were to look at the input shaft area with both axles removed then there would be no obstruction in plain view. I had the passenger axle bearing carrier stuck and I put a 1/2" really long extension through the drivers side and knocked the passenger axle out. If you had a open diff then their is a rod in the way.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn, AllGo...where were you a few weeks ago!!!

The company I dealt with was LKQ Corporation...the yard I got the tranny from was out of Gorham, ME.

They have awesome customer service; I couldn't believe how much they worked with me on this. Granted, it was their fault they sent me the wrong unit, but to solve the problem they are shipping me another (more expensive; $850 instead of $550, less miles; 73k instead of 108k, newer; '98 instead of '97) transmission. They are eating the shipping for all of this too.

Even if this new tranny turns out to be a non-lsd, I'd still recommend them for their customer service efforts alone. They also give a 6mo replacement warranty on every part they sell.

If you want to give them a shot, call Steve at 800-439-3080. I know they don't have any other LSD trannies at the moment, though.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, the new tranny came, and unfortunately it turned out to have an open differential.

Should I keep it, or continue my search? What do you think the odds are on finding a used VLSD tranny?

Also, do you consider a new transmission worth the price? It's ~$2300 (last time I checked), but I could probably get a rebuilt one for much cheaper.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Chassis Freak

Why don't you just look around for an I30 manual tranny? They're all LSD and that's much easier to tell a junkyard (I want an I30 tranny) than trying to explain to them what an LSD is, etc.

That or just get a Quaife....worth every penny, apparently.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?...ipDifferential
Old 02-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Conecarver

Well, the new tranny came, and unfortunately it turned out to have an open differential.

Should I keep it, or continue my search? What do you think the odds are on finding a used VLSD tranny?

Also, do you consider a new transmission worth the price? It's ~$2300 (last time I checked), but I could probably get a rebuilt one for much cheaper.
$2300's ridiculous IMO. I bought and rebuilt mine for $1000 in parts. Labor was a couple hundred more. Why not just take an open diff and add a Quiafe to it?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just did a search in our country and no go for a manual. Quite a few vlsd autos, but manuals are pretty rare.

All our 4th Gen SE's are vlsd, both auto and manual as you probably already know.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been looking for an I30 or a Maxima tranny w/VLSD.

I could rebuild an open-diff tranny and throw in a Quaife, but that's gonna be ~$1k for the rebuilt tranny and another ~$1.5k for the Quaife...so, ~$2500 for a rebuilt w/Quaife vs. $2300 for a new VLSD from Nissan...decisions, decisions...

Jime: What did you use to search?
Old 02-20-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by AllGo
If it is a VLSD, then spinning one tire will spin the other in the same direction. Also if you were to look at the input shaft area with both axles removed then there would be no obstruction in plain view. I had the passenger axle bearing carrier stuck and I put a 1/2" really long extension through the drivers side and knocked the passenger axle out. If you had a open diff then their is a rod in the way.
that would be just a LSD cause then both tired are kind of locked to each other like in a firebird
Old 02-21-2004, 06:52 AM

Well our nissan differentials actually use viscous fluid that heats up and expands as the wheels spin at different speeds so we actually have a vlsd. I would rather have a mechanically/clutch style lsd but my car came with this stock so I like it enough not to spend the $1250 on a quaife. Besides the only time you will benefit from any limited slip differential, is in the event of slick or turning situation when more power is being applied than traction can support causing the loss of traction by one of the wheels. If I had a rear wheel drive then I would definitely opt for a good lsd.
Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
that would be just a LSD cause then both tired are kind of locked to each other like in a firebird
Old 02-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been looking for an I30 or a Maxima tranny w/VLSD.

I could rebuild an open-diff tranny and throw in a Quaife, but that's gonna be ~$1k for the rebuilt tranny and another ~$1.5k for the Quaife...so, ~$2500 for a rebuilt w/Quaife vs. $2300 for a new VLSD from Nissan...decisions, decisions...

Jime: What did you use to search?
http://www.car-part.com/

Then I select the province I want to check. They are all in there with the States.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Jime
All our 4th Gen SE's are vlsd, both auto and manual as you probably already know.
what? thats the first ive heard of that.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Chassis Freak

Jime lives in Ontario = Canada

"All our 4th Gen SEs" = All Canadian SEs
Old 02-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Lightly modded

i just assumed he lived here in the US. my bad.