4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Noise on Crankarm sensor signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noise on Crankarm sensor signal

My 95 Maxima (88k miles) has been having trouble starting. I took it to my trusted neighborhood mechanic and he said the computer said the Crank arm sensor was bad. He replaced the sensor. My battery was also replaced.
2 months later I was still having problems and he replaced the sensor again, since he forgot that he had just replaced the sensor, he did not charge me.
When, a few weeks later, the car WOULD NOT START for five minutes(at one point it sounded like a dead battery, just a click, but the lights and radio were fine) he said to take it the the dealership's service center.

They have had the car for 3 weeks now.
They say that the sensors ground signal is bad but cannot figure out why. They even compared the Oscilliscope trace of my sensors to sensors from similar Maximas. My signals are Very Noisy while other Maximas are "clean". They have cleaned the contacts on the starter and no help.
The service guy's say the next thing is to clean the grounding thru the transmission for ~$700. And if that does not work the only thing left is to replace the sensor harness and rewire the car for $$$.

Has anyone heard of this? Any suggestions?