4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch/transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:01 AM

Clutch/transmission woes

I had problems shifting into 1st and 2nd gear occasionally, and had massive amounts of clutch fluid leaking, so I found out my clutch slave was leaking (wasn't sure if it was the connecting hoses or the cylinder itself, so I replaced the 2 hoses and cylinder, and bled the system). I still have some clutch/transmission related problems, though, and I can't put my finger on what it is that needs tweaking or replacing. There's a mild clicking noise that occurs with the engine run which has a linear relation with RPMs, but the noise completely disappears when the clutch is fully depressed (meaning clutch pedal on the floor). What problem(s) do I have here?

Also, sometimes when shifting into 2nd gear, the ****/selector what have you doesn't always slide all the way into the slot designated for the gear, so it feels like it's only halfway in where it should be. Occasionally with this, the transmission ends up being in neutral instead of in 2nd. What problem(s) do I have with this?

And finally, occasionally when in 1st gear, there is a heavy wheezing noise, which sounds like something is spinning and rubbing against something else at the same time. As a result, I believe, the car exhibits a bad smell. What problem(s) do I have with this? I think this problem is linked back to the first one I asked about, but I'm not sure.

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad input shaft bearings...I'd bet good money on it.

Find a reputable transmission shop in your area and get their opinion...and a price quote.

Oh...and don't drive it any more than necessary