4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help! while replacing KS..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 03:09 PM

help! while replacing KS..

I managed to loosen bolt, Old Sensor is attached to something, I couldnt take it out, I didnt want to break anything. skippynet website mentions a U clip wire..I didnt see it...I put back the old sensor and I'll wait for a response from anyone who could help me out!..thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Knight, the KS has a wire U clip securing it to the harness. With the KS harness attached at the two points it will not leave you much room to pry up the wire clip. You just need to use a small screwdriver to pry the wire clip back away from the KS and remove it - then the KS will pull out. Hope this helps... Be Safe, Mark V.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:44 PM

The way this U-clip is described, it sounds like it would be easy to snap the thing off and have it go flying down somewhere to the bottom of your car. Is it attached to anything, or just a free floating peice of wire?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMARK
Knight, the KS has a wire U clip securing it to the harness. With the KS harness attached at the two points it will not leave you much room to pry up the wire clip. You just need to use a small screwdriver to pry the wire clip back away from the KS and remove it - then the KS will pull out. Hope this helps... Be Safe, Mark V.
Thanks!. ..I'll try again tomorrow!..I was using a big flathead..I'll try with a smaller one.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:59 PM

KS KS Removal 101: If you get the KS in hand you'll get a better appreciation for what needs to be disconnected and how. Removing the twowire harness mounts from the car escapes my explanation. With the KS in your hand as it would be mounted on the engine you can use a small screwdriver to pull the top of the clip back and begin to lift. The clip has a grove in the harness mount that corresponds with a slot on the side on the KS. The U clip secures the harness mount and the KS together as one unit. Sure, if you were to pry up with the screwdriver and pull the U clip off in one movement you could certainly launch it across the garage. Once the U clip top has been pried up you can easily remove it and retain it with your fingers... I replaced the KS and harness - purchased as a kit from Courtesy Nissan. Wasn't cheap even with the org discount... Be Safe, Mark V.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:03 PM

Ok I have a better mental picture now of how it works, thanks - i'll be doing this tomorow.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Neif
Ok I have a better mental picture now of how it works, thanks - i'll be doing this tomorow.
Can anyone actually reach the ks by hand? I tried yesterday, and was probably was nowhere even close.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:06 AM

The clips on the KS are very much like clips used on Bosch style fuel injector clips (not sure what injector clips the Max has off the top of my head). You should be able to get your hand in there unless you have very big hands. I generaly wear large sized gloves and I was able to get my hand in there. I wore mechanics gloves and it felt like my hand would be sliced to pieces but after much pressing and twisting I was able to get my hand where I could reach the KS. Inspite of the discomfort there was no real damage to my hand. I would follow the suggestion (on other threads) of using a 1/4 inch with a swivel and long extension.

It took approx. 1/2 hour and really wasn't that bad. Much better than the factory service manuals way of removing the intake manifold. Make sure you don't torque it down too tight you don't want to ruin a new KS. If I remember right I read that it should be torqued to 20ft/lbs, but you might search around for verification.