4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why 93+ and Not 91+? did the KS fixed it self

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why 93+ and Not 91+? did the KS fixed it self

here is my story,

I bought my maxima on october 2003, a few days after I bought the car the engine light turned on, I paid someone to check it (didn't know how to check ECU at first) and I got two codes 0304 kock sensor and 1008 evap.
ever since I learned how to chck the ECU I have got the KS code, so, I'm thinking, well I have to buy a New knock sensor.

Two Weeks Ago I finaly bought my knock sensor, and was ready to install it, but then some thing happen. and Now I don't know what do do. what happen was.

My car started pulling strong like I never saw before, very smooth drivebility, transition form gear to gear (manual) very smooth. So I tought "can this be
real, my knock sensor is working again" I Check my engine light, and Bang NO KNOCK SENSOR code.

Ever since I bought my car I used 91 octane,and had the knock sensor code, but just last week I decided to put a full tank of 93 octane.

So I'm Thinking right now about how the knock sensor works, and I understand this (correct me If I'm wrong).

1 The knock sensor detects the knock on the engine

2 The Knock Sensor detects the type of gasoline is put on car

3 If the gasoline is high 93+ the computer sees no problem in letting the engine run the best it can run (no retardation of explosion)

4 If the octane is 91 or less the computer goes on safe mode. (retards engine response)

5 The Kock Sensor triggers the code whenever you use low octane fuel. It does not matter if the knock sensor is new or old.

6 It will Not trigger the code if you put 93+ octane

7 The KNock Sensor is a hard to be broken. It has only being Over rated at the forum, because people want to use low level fuel, and still run the car great.

If All of this is false, then why my knock sensor started working again?
Was it the gasoline? was it because I try to unbolt my KS yeasterday, and I may have fixed something that was not working before (eg unpluged wire)

I really apreciate the input on this tread, please moderators, if you want to block this tread for no reason, at least wait until someone actualy gives me a good response to my problem.I looked at all different KS fix websites and I couldn't find a answer to my question..

Thank you everyon for reading this long explanation...
Old 03-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

It could be that you got knock with 91 octane and thus retarded timing......but 91 "should be enough". Even if you got knock at 91, that does not mean your knock sensor with throw a code. A code is only given when the resistance is not within specs. A code is not given when knock occurs, only when the kncok sensor is not working. I would tend to think you just have a partially working knock sensor and would still replace it.

Don't know if it's a fact of not, but I have read that how much the knock sensor is torqued in place can effect how sensitive it is to knock.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:27 PM
V^___^V

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=42

credit: SteVTEC
Old 03-09-2004, 06:13 PM

thanks, I will see if my KS stops wroking again, if it does I will change it right away...
Old 03-09-2004, 07:08 PM

I've had the same problem as you have. For awhile I did use 91 gas then I changed it back to 93. I had the knock sensor and evap code for like 3 weeks and I was just about to replace it when it stopped showing. Its been months since then and the car seems to be running fine, but im not an agressive driver so I'm havent noticed any fuel or power loss. Can my ks be totally dead and my car still run? Maybe I should go out and WOT it to see if I have some good higher end power?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by berralman
I've had the same problem as you have. For awhile I did use 91 gas then I changed it back to 93. I had the knock sensor and evap code for like 3 weeks and I was just about to replace it when it stopped showing. Its been months since then and the car seems to be running fine, but im not an agressive driver so I'm havent noticed any fuel or power loss. Can my ks be totally dead and my car still run? Maybe I should go out and WOT it to see if I have some good higher end power?
hey it is pretty eassy to notice if the knock sensor is working, (at least on my manual)
Start on a long road, and very important start the car from a stoped position, try to get the best first Gear accel you can. fully drop the clutch with minimal accel. once you are not pressing the clutch anymore your RPMS should go in a very fast EVEN accel. (very even trought out the whole RPM range) that means your Knock Sensor is Wroking. Now if you do the exact same thing and your Rpms from 1000 - 2500 are very slow then after that goes very fast (uneven RPM Accel) you will even feel the car slowing down a little. thne your knock sensor is bad.
When my car started working correctly (with the Kock sensor) I felt the stronger pull, right Away, it had a increrable pull, just made me love my car alot more.
if you had the KS working then Not working you will know the feeling..

edit: BTW you can feel the Knock Sensor on the low RPMs as I described...
Old 03-09-2004, 08:54 PM
V^___^V

btw...everytime you do an engine type of modification, don't forget to reset your ECU. since you had different knock sensor setting, reset your ECU and maybe it'll make a difference.

this is my 3,000 post!