4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU for 97-99?? NOT happening.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:19 PM

ECU for 97-99?? NOT happening.

I have been hearing rumors recently that they might be working on an ECU for our cars so I contacted them. Technosquare will never come out with an official ECU for '97-'99.
I contacted them and these are the emails I received:

"The rumor is incorrect. We will NOT come out with an ECU for the 98 Maxima.
The processor Nissan use for 97-99 is impossible to crack.

Sorry.

Danny."

May I ask why it is so impossible to crack? Do you have any idea what is
preventing you?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

"it is the choice of chip that Nissan went with those years. The manufacture
of that chip only sells and release information to Nissan ONLY. So we can't
find information on the processor and can't find a way to extract the data.

Please let your form members know that there won't be any 97-99 ECU for
Maxima.

Danny."

As some of you know late '96 ECUs have worked for some people in '97-'99 Maximas, but as far as Technosquare goes...there will never be an ECU they sell specifically for '97-'99 Maximas.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:20 PM

This should be a damn sticky so people stop talking about it.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Chassis Freak

Of the tens of thousands of members of Maxima.org, there must be somebody who knows or who is a relatively high-level Nissan insider who can get us 97-99 owners the code. Even if Technosquare or JWT still wouldn't do it, we've got a lot of damn smart members with the know-how and the equipment to crack an ECU. It's not like we're trying to hack ultra-high security encryption or something. It's just an ECU.

"Impossible" <—
Old 03-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by Masaccio
Of the tens of thousands of members of Maxima.org, there must be somebody who knows or who is a relatively high-level Nissan insider who can get us 97-99 owners the code. Even if Technosquare or JWT still wouldn't do it, we've got a lot of damn smart members with the know-how and the equipment to crack an ECU. It's not like we're trying to hack ultra-high security encryption or something. It's just an ECU.

"Impossible" <—
It is probably a 128 or 168 bit code, which aprox will take about 4-7 years to crack it. You need to have a super fast computer that would run 24/7 to do it. That is probably why they don't have it yet. And by the time they make it, it will be late, and they don't make enough money. My car would be old by then.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Chassis Freak

Hence the Nissan insider part...
Old 03-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Sports Button FTW

so why do the late 96 ecu's work with no issues? those are off of 97 maxima's. If someone has a spare 97+ ecu they should send to them and see if they can do it. I dont see whats different between late 96's and early 97's
Old 03-09-2004, 07:09 PM

bummer. so i guess we're stuck with using a 95-96 along with a CEL. If it ever comes down to it, i can live with a CEL.

Question: I have a 98 GXE, does it matter if I use a 95/96, or can I only use a 96 ECU?

Also, would I have to match the trim as well? (SE, GXE, GLE)
Old 03-09-2004, 07:21 PM

thats a let down
Old 03-09-2004, 07:24 PM
The original VQ...

hey you guys get the red and clears so we get the ecu's...lol....just kiddin
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM

Of the tens of thousands of members of Maxima.org, there must be somebody who knows or who is a relatively high-level Nissan insider who can get us 97-99 owners the code.
while i wish you were right, i figure if somebody knows/is a high-level Nissan insider (i feel like i'm in a Bond flick saying that) i doubt they drive a 97-99 maxima. i mean, would you? i'm thinkin i'd have a G35 coupe or a 2004 max. but hey, you never know.

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
hey you guys get the red and clears so we get the ecu's...lol....just kiddin
damnit. at least red/clears are somewhat possible for you guys, i mean you can swap the trunk, or mod the all clears, or something. if i put in a 96 ecu and get a CEL = automatically fail inspection.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Chassis Freak

What are you talking about??? It's an objective, universally acknowledged fact that the 4th generation Maxima was, is, and always will be Nissan's true flagship sedan. And because Nissan is the best it's also the best car in the world, forever.

I'm only half-joking—aesthetically speaking, I believe the 4th gen is the most attractive vehicle on the road. Seriously. I'm not fond of sports cars or SUVS, they can't compare to a Maxima... 4DSC all the way.

...so someone crack the damn 4.5 gen ECU already.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:46 PM

Welp.....there goes that money I was saving now.......damn that sucks
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by max****
damnit. at least red/clears are somewhat possible for you guys, i mean you can swap the trunk, or mod the all clears, or something. if i put in a 96 ecu and get a CEL = automatically fail inspection.
yeah, at least an ECU is possible for you. changing out your ECU once every year or two isn't a big deal. 99's don't have that option.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:24 AM

Im an electrical/computer engineering major. If its not cracked by the time I graduate (3 yrs), ill try to crack it myself!! for the sake of all 97-99 owners!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by DpG $h0rTeE
Im an electrical/computer engineering major. If its not cracked by the time I graduate (3 yrs), ill try to crack it myself!! for the sake of all 97-99 owners!!!
That's the spirit!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is post farther up that explains how some guys got rid of the CEL and maybe it will work for you guys.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:24 PM

I'm only half-joking—aesthetically speaking, I believe the 4th gen is the most attractive vehicle on the road. Seriously. I'm not fond of sports cars or SUVS, they can't compare to a Maxima... 4DSC all the way.
The 4DSC label belongs to the 3rd gen.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Chassis Freak

No ****?

4th gens don't have the "4DSC" window sticker but the term "belongs" more to the 4th gen because only the 92-94 SEs with the VE really deserved the appellation "4DSC", while all 4th gens have the VQ.

My Maxima is a four-door sports car—isn't yours?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You guys are not a$$ed out though. Just use the 96 ECU for racing. The car still runs fine with the CEL on if you should keep it in the car.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:54 AM

No ****?

4th gens don't have the "4DSC" window sticker but the term "belongs" more to the 4th gen because only the 92-94 SEs with the VE really deserved the appellation "4DSC", while all 4th gens have the VQ.
No, I think the 4DSC label belongs to those cars that had a 4DSC sticker on the window.
My Maxima is a four-door sports car—isn't yours?
My 92 SE was. My 99 is a riced out grocery getter.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
so why do the late 96 ecu's work with no issues? those are off of 97 maxima's. If someone has a spare 97+ ecu they should send to them and see if they can do it. I dont see whats different between late 96's and early 97's
Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but my 97 was built in Nov or Dec 96, so you are saying that I can get my ecu programed and it will work with no CEL!!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DpG $h0rTeE
We will hold you to that! he he
I know I would be most appreciative , because I don't have a clue when it comes to that kind of stuff.
I know I will still have my max in 3 years. I would think that Jim Wolfe or Stillen or someone like that would come out with it by then though. If not, they are missing out on a huge market. If you think about it, people with 95/96's have a car that is now 8 or 9 years old(model years, at least). I will have to wait another 3 or 4 years for the same treatment. That is just looking at it from a logical standpoint.
I wish they would hurry up though!
Old 03-11-2004, 12:29 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Originally Posted by luckee2bhere
I have been hearing rumors recently that they might be working on an ECU for our cars so I contacted them. Technosquare will never come out with an official ECU for '97-'99.
I contacted them and these are the emails I received:

"The rumor is incorrect. We will NOT come out with an ECU for the 98 Maxima.
The processor Nissan use for 97-99 is impossible to crack.

Sorry.

Danny."

May I ask why it is so impossible to crack? Do you have any idea what is
preventing you?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

"it is the choice of chip that Nissan went with those years. The manufacture
of that chip only sells and release information to Nissan ONLY. So we can't
find information on the processor and can't find a way to extract the data.

Please let your form members know that there won't be any 97-99 ECU for
Maxima.

Danny."

As some of you know late '96 ECUs have worked for some people in '97-'99 Maximas, but as far as Technosquare goes...there will never be an ECU they sell specifically for '97-'99 Maximas.
Look at my thread,

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....79#post2697079

I talked to the same guy "Danny" at technosquare. He gave me one answer and you another about why Technosquare will not be producing an ECU for the 97 Maxima. I would like to point out that someone needs to get their facts straight!

Me: Does Technosquare have any plans for a 97' ECU upgrade with an increased rev limiter?
Danny: No, the reason why is we have previously looked into the ECU board for the 97' maxima and have found that Nissan used these specific boards for this year only and the company that produced the boards for Nissan is now out of business. We have no way of buying spare ECU's to work on. Which means it is not worth our time to set up a group deal or even produce an ECU upgrade for this specific model.

On Feb 6 2004 I told him that after our conversation I would be posting on maxima.org what he said. He is now giving you a different answer as to why the 97 ECU will not be produced.

4:04pm cali - I've edited this post. Originally I slammed Danny at Technosquare for giving different answers to different people about the same topic. I apologize if I offended anyone with my original post.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:04 PM

ha ha ha
Old 03-11-2004, 02:47 PM

^^^^^^^^
x2
Old 03-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Frankly it doesn't really matter why they're not making a 97 or 98 ECU. The fact is they're not.
Yes, it does because if they don't want to for a stupid reason rather than a real reason, then someone else should and will do the 97-99 ECU.

My guess is they took a stab when they did the 95/96 and found it was not worth investing their time into the 97/98.
There are more 97s and 98s out on the road than 95s and 96s (purely because of attrition), so why would it not be worth investing their time?

I'm sorry it just urks me when people with a 97/98 even stick their heads in an ECU thread. This is due to my frustration over nothing being available for a 99, whereas the 97/98 at least have a workaround. And I still don't think insulting Danny because he worded two responses differently leads to anything productive.
I thought the problem was only early 97s could take the 96 ECU and most 97s/98s were screwed? I've heard both things now and I'm curious which is correct. And if it irks you, then don't make lots of nasty comments on threads such as this. Don't read the thread and you won't be irked....

BTW it is undeniable that a 99SE could outperform a 92SE stock/stock or mod/mod, so WTF does it matter if Nissan stopped putting on the "4DSC" stickers for the 4the gens? It's still a Nissan Maxima, it's still a 4DSC, and yes, it's still a grocery getter. That's why we love them.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 PM

some people just get so vicious on here.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:01 PM

Yes, it does because if they don't want to for a stupid reason rather than a real reason, then someone else should and will do the 97-99 ECU. ... There are more 97s and 98s out on the road than 95s and 96s (purely because of attrition), so why would it not be worth investing their time? I thought the problem was only early 97s could take the 96 ECU and most 97s/98s were screwed? I've heard both things now and I'm curious which is correct.
Technosquare went as far as to make an ECU for the 95/96, but did not come out with one for a 97/98/99. I'm guessing there would have to be a pretty good reason for them to stop at the 96 instead of accomodating the rest of the 4th gens as well. So if Technosquare isn't making one, and JWT isn't making one, unless some new company comes out of the woodwork I don't see it happening.
BTW it is undeniable that a 99SE could outperform a 92SE stock/stock or mod/mod, so WTF does it matter if Nissan stopped putting on the "4DSC" stickers for the 4the gens? It's still a Nissan Maxima, it's still a 4DSC, and yes, it's still a grocery getter. That's why we love them.
I own a 4th gen and I love it dearly, believe me, but I do think my 3rd gen was a better car. While the VQ may outperform the VE, I don't think that's enough to earn the 4th gen the title of 4DSC. I'll agree that by definition the 4th gen maxima is "4 Door Sports Car", but that would also make an M5 a 4DSC.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Chassis Freak

An M5 is a four-door sports car, but it's not a 4DSC®.

Old 03-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by 1eyedcalibandit
Look at my thread,

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....79#post2697079

I talked to the same guy "Danny" at technosquare. He gave me one answer and you another about why Technosquare will not be producing an ECU for the 97 Maxima. I would like to point out that someone needs to get their facts straight!

Me: Does Technosquare have any plans for a 97' ECU upgrade with an increased rev limiter?
Danny: No, the reason why is we have previously looked into the ECU board for the 97' maxima and have found that Nissan used these specific boards for this year only and the company that produced the boards for Nissan is now out of business. We have no way of buying spare ECU's to work on. Which means it is not worth our time to set up a group deal or even produce an ECU upgrade for this specific model.

On Feb 6 2004 I told him that after our conversation I would be posting on maxima.org what he said. He is now giving you a different answer as to why the 97 ECU will not be produced.

4:04pm cali - I've edited this post. Originally I slammed Danny at Technosquare for giving different answers to different people about the same topic. I apologize if I offended anyone with my original post.
I think these people can spare couple hunderd bucks and grab one from some junkyard. couple hunderd bucks right now will increase their chance to profit close to couple of thousand dollar. there are many people who have 97-99 maxima. I guess they don't want to make money.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:43 PM

you can put an "s" on the end of a word and make it plural. It is an amazing thing.

It is a pretty well known fact, I think, that there are the most 97's out of all 4th gens. That is what I have seen in a lot of threads anyway. Because of that, you would think that Techno and JWT would try extra hard to come up with something for us later model people. I don't really know what has stumped them, but I know there is no computer problem that is "impossible." There is always someone that knows how to break the code. I don't know how, but I wish someone on these teams would or find someone and bring them along.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:51 PM

theres always an alternative to the problem.... Forced induction! who needs that turdy 7k rev limiter heh heh
Old 03-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Kevlo for President

Looks like Ima have to use my KevloTechnology to crack the 97.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:28 AM

Go for it, kevlo911.

Go Heels!
Old 03-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so what about that "ecu computer chip upgrade" thats on custom maxima does that actually do anything?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Tha Snatcher

Great, first no projectors and now no ECU. This has been a great day.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by XenonHID_VQ
Great, first no projectors and now no ECU. This has been a great day.

Make your own projectors like Geo???? did
Ima make my own over the summer.