4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Our cars are old, PERIOD

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
BOSS

Our cars are old, PERIOD

I've recently come accross many statements on the org that just get under my skin - I don't know why , just do so let's get a few things straight

comments such as "wow...95,000mi on a 99 se-L? that's a lot of mileage." really irritate me.

so, like I stated in a previous thread, 20k miles per year is considered average nowdays for a sedan vehicle like a Maxima. Since it's a 99, which has been around for some 5.5 years, even the mileage of (5.5 * 20) or 110k would be considered average for that car.

Now, I don't want to sound like an a$$, but many 4th gen orgers don't realize that our cars are OLD. Now someone's going to say "that depends on what u consider old cause my brother had an 85 chevy ).

NO, our cars are old in the sense that structual components are meant to give out and people here are often amazed that something, or perhaps many things, have recently been repaired/replaced in their say 97 SE. HELLO! That's an 8 year-old car people! My point is very clear - people often misjudge their car's performance, looks, and problems simply because they don't realize how old their car actually is. I own a 99 and JESUS it's already 5 years old. Those with 95's, your cars are approx. 10 years old - just a reality check.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:40 PM

Yup, my car is old. I been accepted that. I'm still happy though because it replaces and even older 90 mustang.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Always sunny in philly

Let ppl say what they wanna say. Who cares-my car is 7 years old and i still treat it like a damn Lexus.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:43 PM

Hell its old, but it looks newer than most of the cars that came out that year, every now and then, someone is like "hey, what year is your car?" and I'll tell them its a 95, and there like "Noway!" I dont care how old it is, I like it, and its all I could afford, if I could get a 2002 Skyline R34, well then I woulndt have this car.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:44 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by chillinmax
Let ppl say what they wanna say. Who cares-my car is 7 years old and i still treat it like a damn Lexus.
I realize that, I treat my car like a lexus too. But that's something entirely different. Obviously one should take car of his/her car even when old.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:58 PM

It doesn't matter how old your car is, just enjoy what you have. What I think matters is how it compares to cars of today. The maxima still holds its own in the car market. A large 4 door sedan that runs a 7.1 0-60 and can get high 20's (mpg) on the highway? Their aren't many (if any) cars in its class that are offered with a manual transmission either. Oh and by the way, its as reliable as most honda's. These are the exact reasons why I joined the maxima club.

Age means nothing. I have alot of pro-american friends that ride in my max and have nothing but compliments for it.

I just gave my 95 max a good cleaning this weekend and I realized that my car still can look brand new. Its runs just like new too. I cannot afford a new car, and my max is more car than a new cavalier could ever hope to be. Leon is 10 yrs young in my opinion. Later
Old 03-14-2004, 10:03 PM

Age ain't nuttin but a #

Originally Posted by BOSS
I've recently come accross many statements on the org that just get under my skin - I don't know why , just do so let's get a few things straight

comments such as "wow...95,000mi on a 99 se-L? that's a lot of mileage." really irritate me.

so, like I stated in a previous thread, 20k miles per year is considered average nowdays for a sedan vehicle like a Maxima. Since it's a 99, which has been around for some 5.5 years, even the mileage of (5.5 * 20) or 110k would be considered average for that car.

Now, I don't want to sound like an a$$, but many 4th gen orgers don't realize that our cars are OLD. Now someone's going to say "that depends on what u consider old cause my brother had an 85 chevy ).

NO, our cars are old in the sense that structual components are meant to give out and people here are often amazed that something, or perhaps many things, have recently been repaired/replaced in their say 97 SE. HELLO! That's an 8 year-old car people! My point is very clear - people often misjudge their car's performance, looks, and problems simply because they don't realize how old their car actually is. I own a 99 and JESUS it's already 5 years old. Those with 95's, your cars are approx. 10 years old - just a reality check.
I Have a '98 Max with 64k on it and I'll leave the math up to you. The damn thing still looks better than most cars that came out in 2002. Keep the funky Lexus. I'll keep tha Max paint glossy and tha chrome feet shinin'. Maxima owner 4 x over and proud.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 PM
V^___^V

my car is 9 years and 1 month old. it was bought by the first 0wner in feburary, 1995. today is march 14, 2004. 10 years+ and counting.

most people thought my car is like a 98-2000, i told them it's a 95, they were shocked. luckily it only has 102,000mi on it. i just want it to be realiable and carry me from point A to point B safely in my next 3 years of college life. (maybe 4 years if i screw up )
Old 03-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by Klockpurple
I Have a '98 Max with 64k on it and I'll leave the math up to you. The damn thing still looks better than most cars that came out in 2002. Keep the funky Lexus. I'll keep tha Max paint glossy and tha chrome feet shinin'. Maxima owner 4 x over and proud

Dont get it twisted; Boss, myself, and every owner of a Max on this forum is proud to have what they have, whether its a 1984 Max wagon to the new 6th gens.

But the point he's trying to get across that some of our cars are almost a decade old, regardless of the treatment/condition of the car. He's not crapping on max's, but merely trying to state the point.

You may have a '98, but YOU do the math. Your car is 6 years old and just passed the 60k tune up. Its probably running great, and as long as u keep it up, you'll be fine.

we "treat" it as a lexus...what are you talking about "keep the funky lexus?"

oh well. Rock on
Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Way out West

hahahaha

I've got 147k on my 3rd gen and it still whoops on just about anything with a Honda logo on it (well, definitely not the S2000). Actually, I think it whoops a large majority of 4-door front wheel drive cars on the road today. At freeway speeds I can talk on the cell phone and the person on the other end doesn't realize I am in a car. My car does amazing in the snow, it got 27 mpg two weeks ago on a 400+mile trip and the most expensive thing that actually went bad on the car was the water pump, which was about $250 with new belts and everything. It still had the original clutch until I decided to replace it with an ACT one. It does have a few small glitches, but that is to be expected from any car over 12 years old.

Compared to my car, you guys' 4th gens ARE new!

Just thought I'd add my $.02

Nissan owns.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 PM
BOSS

Dont get it twisted; Boss, myself, and every owner of a Max on this forum is proud to have what they have, whether its a 1984 Max wagon to the new 6th gens.

But the point he's trying to get across that some of our cars are almost a decade old, regardless of the treatment/condition of the car. He's not crapping on max's, but merely trying to state the point.

You may have a '98, but YOU do the math. Your car is 6 years old and just passed the 60k tune up. Its probably running great, and as long as u keep it up, you'll be fine.

oh well. Rock on
Thank you for clearing this up chillinmax, you took the words right out of my mouth

Old 03-14-2004, 10:35 PM

i got my maxima 2 weeks ago and even though its 98, it still looks like a million bux to me w/e
Old 03-14-2004, 10:37 PM

I agree that cruising in my now ten year old car seems kind of funny, just meaning by this stage in my life I'd figure I'd have a newer car. But, I heard the national average of cars on the road in the U.S. is 7 years old, so there has to be some older cars to average with the new ones. Problem is new cars are so expensive, and depreciate like 3 grand a year if they start in the 20s new. I do realize it is funny when someone complains about a starter or alternator or something failing after 100K miles. Some parts of cars just wear out, and don't cost that much to fix (especially compared to the value when the car was new). The good news is the Maxima is a quality built, high quality vehicle that is still pretty up to date.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:39 PM

Thank you for clearing this up chillinmax, you took the words right out of my mouth
I know my car is "OLD", but thats ok for me. As long as i keep ole Betsy "lookin" and "feelin" new, she'll be ALRIGHT... why buy a 30k car when you can put that much into makin it into a supercar well thats MY logic anyway .. heh

Yea... anothe thing that bugs me is all the complaining about how stuff needs to be replaced (belts, plug , alt, susp) when people get their "brand new" 10 yr old cars. haha.. of course it has to be replaced!! 10 friggin years quite a bit of time for wear. Also, people that preach hat the engine can last 200k miles... so what? only a handful of people here stretch to even get there... by that time, the owner will have probably gotten a new car... jeez.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:43 PM

oh well. Rock on
Hey, chillinmax. Boss's post came through loud and clear. I perfectly understood what he was saying, but there's other factors involved too. I've had a '95 for 7.5 years & have only had to replace one engine part over $200.00 (starter). Go buy a Ford, Chevy or Buick & try that. Nissan quality, buck for buck is the s**t ! As for the Lexus thing. I was just wondering why you mentioned it. Why not treat it like a Maxima. Lexus = Mazda with a bigger sticker price. lol
Old 03-14-2004, 10:46 PM
I love lamp.

Wow, you think your cars are old, my car can buy itself a pack of cigarettes in Washington State legally, and alcohol in British Columbia! Did I mention that the car has 200k miles? That's fairly low mileage for an 86! Yeah, 4th gen's aren't the newest things on the block, but for it's age, that isn't really all that bad. I wouldn't start complaining till your car is old enough to start collecting on social security. Either way, like Boss and all of them say, it's good to have a reality check however.

S
Old 03-14-2004, 10:46 PM
DrX

5 years is not old for a car. 10 years is not old for a car. A car is not designed to structurally "give out" after that long, or a at all for that matter. Of course moving parts are going to wear down and need replaced - that's the nature of the beast, but well taken care of, a car could last, ooh, forever.

Don't sit here and tell me your 1999 maxima is old.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:48 PM
DoGGy

our cars might be old but hey, they look ALOT sexier than most new cars and are faster than most. that lexus is300 or the new acura tsx or even the new camries arent that much faster than us. heck, we r probaly faster to begin with.

and with 28k miles on my engine. im not complainin one bit about age. this is what i could afford and i love it. fully loaded, fast, low miles, reliable and damn sexy. what else would i want?

ask any car enthusiastis, 9 out of 10 would admit that 4th gen maxima's are sexy cars to begin with. thats enough to keep the spirit alive

Old 03-14-2004, 11:08 PM

how the **** did you get a 98 maxima w/28k miles??? o.O
Old 03-14-2004, 11:10 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by DrX
5 years is not old for a car. 10 years is not old for a car. A car is not designed to structurally "give out" after that long, or a at all for that matter. Of course moving parts are going to wear down and need replaced - that's the nature of the beast, but well taken care of, a car could last, ooh, forever.

Don't sit here and tell me your 1999 maxima is old.
another one bites the dust.

Anyway, in contemporary society fewer people own cars for that long - 10 years. Give me a break, "forever"? Who would want to own a car for this long? That's like saying "I will wear my gym shoes for years" while training and doing sports. Even if the shoes didn't wear out, you wouldn't wear'em because they'd be out of style.

I still see that some people misread me completely. I made myself very clear, yet they think I'm trying to bash their car for being old

Lastly, my favorite car of all time is no other than the Toyota Supra, whose production days ended in 98. I was, am, and will be for quite some time amazed at what these 93 to 98 beasts are capable of, even at 10+ years old. I can really think of no other car that can be as easily modded to 1000 ponies on, as often happens, stock engine components.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:13 PM
V^___^V

Lastly, my favorite car of all time is no other than the Toyota Supra, whose production days ended in 98. I was, am, and will be for quite some time amazed at what these 93 to 98 beasts are capable of, even at 10+ years old. I can really think of no other car that can be as easily modded to 1000 ponies on, as often happens, stock engine components.
hehe...i would go with 1986 toyota corolla gt-s! AE hachi-roku baby! initial D style!!

those thing are like couple hundred bucks. even though it's almost 20 years old car but it still 0wns downhill!

i have a video of a AE hachi-roku 0wning 2003 suburu WRX STI. PM me if u wanna see that....
Old 03-14-2004, 11:16 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by ilyaat
how the **** did you get a 98 maxima w/28k miles??? o.O

got it with 23,950 on odo. owner worked 2 miles away from where he lived. and where he lives is 2 miles away from where i live.

*knocks on wood*

Old 03-14-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
hehe...i would go with 1986 toyota corolla gt-s! AE hachi-roku baby! initial D style!!

those thing are like couple hundred bucks. even though it's almost 20 years old car but it still 0wns downhill!

i have a video of a AE hachi-roku 0wning 2003 suburu WRX STI. PM me if u wanna see that....
Bah...no more. After initial d prices on it went to couple thousands insead of hunders. BTW, stage 4 is coming out next month w/e
Old 03-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by happyricefob
my car is 10 years old. it was bought by the first 0wner in feburary, 1995. today is march 14, 2004. 10 years+ and counting.

most people though my car is like a 98-2000, i told them it's a 95, they were shocked. luckily it only has 102,000mi on it. i just want it to be realiable and carry me from point A to point B safely in my next 3 years of college life. (maybe 4 years if i screw up )
Dude can you not count? That's 9 years and 1 month.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:41 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Big D
Dude can you not count? That's 9 years and 1 month.
oh mai bad
Old 03-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I realized my car wasn't as "young" as I thought it was just the other day.
I noticed <gasp> a small spot of rust on my car!
It's on the bottom corner of my drivers side door. Still can't belive I have rust on my car...I guess it has survived 9 NE winters, but still.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:54 AM

I just got my baby two months ago. But coming from my 91.max se she seems brand new. Maybe it's the factor that I'm 18 years old and worked 65 hours a week and went three months after I sold my 3rd gen with out a car to get. Trust me man if your 18 and bought your car all on your dollar, she's cherry
Old 03-15-2004, 05:06 AM
Kevlo for President

8 years young and counting
Old 03-15-2004, 06:11 AM

everyone stills thhinks the 90s were last year...they were 4 years ago. my car is 9 years old, it dosent feel or look like it, but it is
Old 03-15-2004, 06:20 AM

The cars are old as a model,but they are still very good...With proper maintenance would run a very long time ( I seen a 98 Civic with 384000 miles- and that is not a misprint ) .The cars are great even when they show the age .I am not sure that the new Maximas are as good or not but I tend to think that the quality compared to the 4 th gen is gone...I may be wrong...
What s nice is that you can get a Max folr little $$ ,able to show you some fun. Mileage is nothing for those cars...
About the cars getting old...Not only the cars are getting old...We , the humans ( and Maximas pilots) are getting old too...and that s the scary part
Old 03-15-2004, 06:22 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

My car's going to get a hell of a lot older before i stop driving it, and even older that that before I get rid of it (never?).
Old 03-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

My car is young at heart
Old 03-15-2004, 07:30 AM
formz

Do you have sand in your vagina? Cause it sure sounds like it.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:00 AM

I had my first car at the age of 18 (now i'm 20) a hond accord 87 and had 235000 on it when I got my honda I wanted to make that car the fastest machine around, and make it look like the coolest ride. Now That I bought the maxima 6 months ago with 170000, I now want to make my maxima the fastest and coolest car around and it is not because I think my car is old (I could care less about it) it is because I love having a car. One more thing, the maxima is a car that is capable of going very fast, but I only know that because I became a .org member.
when you get to be intersted in a car so much that you join a car club (like the maxima.org) that means you love your car, not because it is a old car.

well I'm kind of lost in my own thoughts here so I'm going to say one more thing that I wanted to say form the beginnning.

the Only thing I realize when I bought the maxima (and sold my accord) was that I completely lost intersted in modding my honda. so The only reason why every one is buying new upgrades for their rides is because , we cannot affort to buy a very fast, brand new car. but as soon as we can buy a one, I garantee that we are not going to modifiy anything on it.(because it will be the perfect car)

the maxima feels fast and pretty, why buy a new car.(Or are we too afraid to go test drive a brand new (honda,lexus,BMW...) and see that the maxima is not such a good car)

Well yes my car is old, but is fast enought for me. I'm happy with it, because I can affort such a good car.

MAXIMA = pride?

BTW this was my 50th post, (upgrade "Maxima Enthusiast")
Old 03-15-2004, 08:02 AM

"Do you have sand in your vagina? Cause it sure sounds like it."

ha ha ha ha......^^^^^^^^.....that is one of the funniest comments I have ever heard!!! ha ha

I don't know why anyone would say that you would drive a car forever. I don't even think it would be possible. Here are the reasons.
1. For the reason that others have pointed out, you would be out of style after a while, and decide to upgrade.
2. The cost of upkeeping the vehicle would eventually outweigh keeping that car and maintaining it. This happens quite often with cars, which is why(with used car owners) eventually get a newer one.
3. I don't think it is logical to say that you could keep a car going forever. I mean, there could be a point when something that you need to replace on the car has become obsolete. (such as parts for a reel-to-reel or 8-track stuff....you get my point). At that point, unless you can make everything that your car needs, it is just going to either sit under a cover taking up space not being able to drive, because the working parts are worn totally; or it is going to be junked or sit outside and rust away.

That is just how it happens. I am sorry to say that, but it is true.

I happen to side with them saying that our cars are old. I mean, I have the newest 4th gen that you can get, and it is still 2 models old...that is old!!! Do I love it any less? NO! In fact, I probably love it a lot more, but it is 5 model years old already.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Guinader
I had my first car at the age of 18 (now i'm 20) a hond accord 87 and had 235000 on it when I got my honda I wanted to make that car the fastest machine around, and make it look like the coolest ride. Now That I bought the maxima 6 months ago with 170000, I now want to make my maxima the fastest and coolest car around and it is not because I think my car is old (I could care less about it) it is because I love having a car. One more thing, the maxima is a car that is capable of going very fast, but I only know that because I became a .org member.
when you get to be intersted in a car so much that you join a car club (like the maxima.org) that means you love your car, not because it is a old car.

well I'm kind of lost in my own thoughts here so I'm going to say one more thing that I wanted to say form the beginnning.

the Only thing I realize when I bought the maxima (and sold my accord) was that I completely lost intersted in modding my honda. so The only reason why every one is buying new upgrades for their rides is because , we cannot affort to buy a very fast, brand new car. but as soon as we can buy a one, I garantee that we are not going to modifiy anything on it.(because it will be the perfect car)

the maxima feels fast and pretty, why buy a new car.(Or are we too afraid to go test drive a brand new (honda,lexus,BMW...) and see that the maxima is not such a good car)

Well yes my car is old, but is fast enought for me. I'm happy with it, because I can affort such a good car.

MAXIMA = pride?

BTW this was my 50th post, (upgrade "Maxima Enthusiast")

You need to upgrade your spelling and vocabulary skills. Dang!
Also, use some punctuation when you type, it is amazing how much easier it makes for all the rest of the world to read.
Next, Probably the only cars I would not modify if I bought them would be exotic like a Porsche 911 Twin turbo, or a Lamborgini Diablo, or a Ferrari 360 Modena. Other than that, I will probably mod.
One more thing, please try to make some sense when you post.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:39 AM
formz

Old 03-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by guido32
It doesn't matter how old your car is, just enjoy what you have. What I think matters is how it compares to cars of today. The maxima still holds its own in the car market. A large 4 door sedan that runs a 7.1 0-60 and can get high 20's (mpg) on the highway? Their aren't many (if any) cars in its class that are offered with a manual transmission either. Oh and by the way, its as reliable as most honda's. These are the exact reasons why I joined the maxima club.

Age means nothing. I have alot of pro-american friends that ride in my max and have nothing but compliments for it.

I just gave my 95 max a good cleaning this weekend and I realized that my car still can look brand new. Its runs just like new too. I cannot afford a new car, and my max is more car than a new cavalier could ever hope to be. Leon is 10 yrs young in my opinion. Later
Yes you are very right about that. Just enjoy what you have. But many people have hard time trying to enjoy it....... Think about people in other parts of the world, some people don't even have car..... just try to be happy with what you have...... it is hard I do complaine about my car also, I am going to try not too.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:02 AM

Ummm.

I will definately mod my next car - even though it will be new. I'm getting a new car next year, hopefully. That car will be a G35c. As soon as the engine is broken in I am putting boost on it.... <Haven't yet decided on SC or Turbo - depends on what's out there in a year>

And secondly, there are 3 mass-production cars from the mid 90's that in my opinion retain their "new" looks better than any other cars out there. Here they are - in order:

<This is all IMHO>

1) 300zx TT
2) Toyota Supra MKIV
3) 4th Gen Nissan Maxima
3a) 3rd Gen Nissan Maxima

Timeless styling is what it's all about.

As for people complaining about belts/starters/etc going out on their cars. That's ridiculous - the cars are at a minimum 5 years old, and the majority here are in the 7+ range. They are an older car. I agree with that.

The fact that the only 2 things to go wrong with my car (that I didn't cause by modding) are the starter and alternator makes me VERY happy. <And the starter MAY have been caused by trying to start it when my SC Pulley had cut through the CPS wire - so that may not even count.>

This car has been everything I wanted it to be - soon I will move on - but I will always love my Max.

And she will probably stay on the Forum with maximase86 until THAT car is 18 years old.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:29 AM
BOSS

well iansw, you probably missed my post about a Supra in this thread

That car owns all

Quick Reply: Our cars are old, PERIOD