4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Repair, Tune, and Cleaning Advice on a 130k 95

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Repair, Tune, and Cleaning Advice on a 130k 95

Hi, (NOTE THIS IS VERY LONG, sorry)

I have a 95 auto with about 130k miles on it. Since I am down south at the moment, the weather starts up nice early allowing me to start doing some car stuff now. What I want to do is take a few days (or longer if needed) and basically fix up my car. It has served me well, but it could do with some massive maitience and repairs. I am listing what I attempting to do and if any of you have any advice for stuff I should or shouldn't do it, it would be very appreciated. Yes I have read many posts about this stuff, and searched the best I can (the search function is still impossible to use since I can search one word max).

I have been keeping up on reg maintience the best I can (oil, filters, tran flush, etc) but I still am probably lacking in care. I want to clean and get rid of as much carbon, gunk, etc as I can.

My Goals (they are pretty obvious but not very specific):

1. Have the car generally run better: less hard shifting, better idling(no herky jerky stuff), etc
2. Fix the starting issues as it starts one of of two times on a cold start and idles rough (have cleaned TB but didn't help much)
3.Extend the life of my car.
4. Make the appearance look better.

Mechanical

1. Replace EGR and clean hoses (have gotten code before)
2. Replace Knock Sensor (check surrounding wires?)
3. While doing next oil change, use engine flush (does that actually help drain old buildup?) fluid then change oil
4. Change fuel filter
5. Change starter as my car starts crappy now(sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't on first turn).
6. Put some automatic transmission additive to make it shift smoother?
7. Top off and check remaining fluids
8. Check Tire pressure and general wear(i have 2k 17's what is the best PSI for best ride)
9. Replace antenna mast (take apart motor from inside trunk it looks like)
10. Clean TB
11. Fuel Injector cleaner ( I did this 5k ago, is there a better way to clean them out).
12. Replace Lightbulbs
13. Get rid of squeaks and rattles, doublecheck using roadtest to find areas that rattle and see if screws are tight, etc.
14.Wiper Blade replace

Appearance

1.Clean and detail car (duh)
2. Remove front seats to clean and vacuum carpets (use carpet shampoo vacuum. Soak headrests and mats.
3. Front windshield scratched, either buff or replace
4. Small rust spot from past winter, in front of door, but behind front wheel. Use rust repair
5. Use 3M tape to repair door jams from windnoise and leaking (similiar to 5th gen TSB)
6. Use touchpaint and clearcoat to repair damaged areas
7. Replace interior plastic parts near shifter as scratched (just the surround by the radio and the shifter).
8. Replace damaged ebrake boot

Later On

Mods: SE Gauges, chrome rings,Ebrake and Auto **** (levoc?), foglights, 97 grille, intake, y-pipe

Yes it was long, but any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks.