4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A such thing as a "QUIET" Y-Pipe? Is it GAS FRIENDLY??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A such thing as a "QUIET" Y-Pipe? Is it GAS FRIENDLY??

I know that the Y-Pipe can add up to 15-18 HP however a few questions.

Is there a such thing as a quiet Y-Pipe? I think its annoying when you hear a car thats overly loud. Warpspeeds are good deals but I heard they are LOUD.

Also is it Gas friendly? Does it use more gas with the new pipe?

Does it increase emissions?

Thanks

Proph
Old 03-22-2004, 06:56 AM

As for being loud, that varies. If you have an aftermarket catback/muffler, it will probably be pretty loud. I have a warpspeed y right now on stock exhaust and I can barely tell the difference in sound. I think one of the most important things to keeping it quiet is making sure it is installed properly (no leaks, no rattles).

A y-pipe technically makes the car more fuel efficient, but a lot of people (myself included) don't really notice this by driving a little faster to enjoy those 15 hp. If you drive the same way with the y-pipe as you did before it, you'll probably get a few more miles to each tank of gas, but it probably won't be a huge difference.

It does increase emissions when the engine is cold. A stock y-pipe has several large "pre-cats" which help to decrease emissions when the car is cold. An aftermarket y removes these pre-cats because they are very restrictive (this is where most of the y-pipe's power gain comes from). Once the car warms up, the pre-cats aren't really doing anything and the catalytic convertor is doing the full job, so once the car is warmed up it is not much different emissions-wise.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:04 AM
V^___^V

y-pipe is not gas friendly under 3,500rpm. the real y-pipe and whatever "+15-18WHP" doesn't kick in after 3,500rpm, and that "+31WHP" doesn't kick in until 6,200rpm. so under daily driving y-pipe doesn't do anything.

unless you WOT all the time then u'll feel it. personally i don't WOT that much. i push it up to 5,500rpm on freeway ramp to pick up my speed that's pretty much it.

an aftermarket quiet y-pipe is determimed by a quality installation, not by the y-pipe itself unless it's flawed. most people pick up brand new y-pipe that makes noises afterwardZ are due to poor quality installation. but after serval tweeks the noises should go away.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:52 AM

mine is nice and quiet now that i found the leak!! Sounds just as loud as stock, its really starting to pull nicely now. Aittle gains before 3k rpms but most are after for me
Old 03-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Business810
As for being loud, that varies. If you have an aftermarket catback/muffler, it will probably be pretty loud. I have a warpspeed y right now on stock exhaust and I can barely tell the difference in sound. I think one of the most important things to keeping it quiet is making sure it is installed properly (no leaks, no rattles).
Warpspeed y-pipe here with stock exhaust otherwise. Same volume, just slightly different tone. Yep, make sure it's installed correctly. I actually had the b-pipe rubbing after the install.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:41 AM

I have a warpspeed y-pipe and I love it! It is a little louder than stock now, but only because I increased the size of the b-pipe to 2.5" with custom piping and put a 5th gen muffler for a little better flow. It just growls a little, and hisses a little at very high rpms, but I don't usually get it up there to hear that. If I had the stock exhause other than the y-pipe, it would not be loud at all. It is definitely worth the extra power to me. Best $130 I ever spent.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

warpspeed + apexi catback = nice growl