4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

To those of you who ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 04:58 PM

To those of you who have changed a fuel filter may I congratulate you on your patience and determination. I just got through with four hours of torture completing this relatively easy task. Lets see, two clamps, a couple of clips, how hard can it be. Well let me tell you, it ain’t easy. This may have been compounded by my big hands and chubby forearms, but the placement of that filter had to have been designed by the Marquee de Sade engineering group at Nissan. At every turn there were clips from various other pipes and hoses gouging into your hands and forearms. There wasn’t one spot to get a good grip on either hose to break it loose from the pipe. So again, may I congratulate all of you who have completed this job and to those who are thinking about it, may I suggest two tactics that might make the job easier, first is to study the manual, and secondly invite a friend, one with small hands, to assist.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:05 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I hope I don't have that problem
Old 03-19-2001, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow,you really had a tuff time huhh.

I am suprised, I think you have the new world record for *slowest filter change*. I changed mine on my 95 max and it took me no more then 20 minutes. The thing I found most annoying was getting the hoses back onto the filter,I just spit onto my finger and rubbed it on the hose and it just slide on in.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:08 AM

The fuel filter change difficulty depends on your car. If you have ABS, like I do, it makes it much more difficult. The ABS lines get in the way. After spending 45 minutes trying to do my own, I wussed out and had my mechanic do the job.
Old 03-19-2001, 01:25 PM

emax95, if your picture in your signature is your current vehicle, we have sister cars. Mine is a burgundy '98 I30T 5 spd. Check it out (the filter on your car) and give me your thoughts. As dwapenyi mentioned, the ABS, etc. all add to the cluster f*** of getting to the filter. Now the four hours does include an hour trip to the parts store for a new hose clamp. As I was loosening the lower clamp, I ended up unscrewing the bolt, it came loose and hit the driveway. Bingo one more item lost to the Bermuda triangle of my driveway. So long and short of it, just be prepared, it's doable, but patience is key. Oh, I also followed the advice of one of the posts about taking the top hose loose at the second clamp, not the one on the filter, but the one up stream. This worked well as when I did get the filter off, both hoses were attached, which eased there removal and replacement. Just an FYI to anyone reading these posts.

Regards.
Old 03-19-2001, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by I30TinME
emax95, if your picture in your signature is your current vehicle, we have sister cars. Mine is a burgundy '98 I30T 5 spd. Check it out (the filter on your car) and give me your thoughts. As dwapenyi mentioned, the ABS, etc. all add to the cluster f*** of getting to the filter. Now the four hours does include an hour trip to the parts store for a new hose clamp. As I was loosening the lower clamp, I ended up unscrewing the bolt, it came loose and hit the driveway. Bingo one more item lost to the Bermuda triangle of my driveway. So long and short of it, just be prepared, it's doable, but patience is key. Oh, I also followed the advice of one of the posts about taking the top hose loose at the second clamp, not the one on the filter, but the one up stream. This worked well as when I did get the filter off, both hoses were attached, which eased there removal and replacement. Just an FYI to anyone reading these posts.

Regards.
What up siss{as in sister} haha, I changed my fuel filter on my I30 a few weeks ago while I was installing my SC,it took me less then 20 minutes this time though. BTW my 95 Max has ABS too.

I noticed in your sig that you say no mods to old, I don't think a 98 is too old in fact it's the perfect age because the car is broken in and the warranty is running out{not really true for our I30's though}. Any how,hom many miles do you have? I just hit 42K miles.
Old 03-19-2001, 07:24 PM

the change of the fuel filter is relatively easy the only part i find hard is getting the bottom hose out with my big hands.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:20 PM

i got pissed off after 10 minutes of pulling and just cut the bottom hose off. I have tons on hose around my house so another wasent a problem. but its true that if you have big hands you will look like you had a fight with the neighborhood cats after the change
Old 03-19-2001, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by emax95

What up siss{as in sister} haha, I changed my fuel filter on my I30 a few weeks ago while I was installing my SC,it took me less then 20 minutes this time though. BTW my 95 Max has ABS too.

I noticed in your sig that you say no mods to old, I don't think a 98 is too old in fact it's the perfect age because the car is broken in and the warranty is running out{not really true for our I30's though}. Any how,hom many miles do you have? I just hit 42K miles.
emax95, I don't he's talking about the car being too old.....I think he's talking about his age.....at first when I read it, I was thinking that he was saying that the car was too old....but then it hit me...he's probably saying that he's "too old" for that modification stuff....kinda like a 4th grader not liking sesame street anymore
Old 03-19-2001, 11:14 PM

True

I never thought of that,but it does make sense. I have to disagree though because your are never to old for a SC,maybe you goung hehe.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:18 AM

OK guys, here it goes. I am too old for mods. With house, kids, college, wife, etc. etc., money for mods seems to be low on the priority list. Although, reading about your exploits has me thinking, and hey, with Daniel B. Martin adding to his ride (I know it was a gift), who knows. But before I add extras I got to take care of some maintenance. Have a rear caliper hanging up and may need to either rebuild or replace. And that means new pads and perhaps rotors. Cha-ching. So much for the strut brace.

Enjoy. Oh, I will edit my signature to clarify who is too old.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:18 AM

Old 03-20-2001, 10:32 AM

fuel filter

I agree 100%. The spark plugs are a cinch. You look at the filter and say to your self this is a cinch too but it can fool you if you are not careful.