4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Poll: Rice Or No Rice??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:45 PM

Poll: Rice Or No Rice??

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE???

fixing up the engine of your maxima and making it faster ( no- rice )

making it look nice from the outside but it be very slow... like high 16z or even 17z in the 1/4 mile....
( bodykit, tail lights/ head light, etc... RICE )

if you think this question is dumb... please just do not reply to it...
im asking so i can know what to do with my car... id like to know what you guys would all do...

thanx

-Kenny-
Old 03-24-2004, 08:49 PM

i'd go no rice. or sounds. the car looks nice as it stands. it is reasonably quick but can use a new sound system. what im gonna do with mine (96 i30) is simple bolt ons (suspension, exhaust, intake, etc.) and a sweet sound system (mb quart components and subs and looking at arc audio amps). just me though
Old 03-24-2004, 08:49 PM

Personal preference, what do you want? you do what you want. If you'r into looks, get the body kit, lights..etc. If you'r into having a fast car, get performance mods.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 PM

Or if your are into both, do both.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:04 PM

? i thought stock maxima can do much better then "like high 16z or even 17z in the 1/4 mile" ??? Oh, i just put some piaa 9004 + clear back + gonna tint and try to save $$$ for stillen body kit. I dont really want to make it fast, since i dont race and i'm happy w/power i have now. But i would like to make my maxima look better, not rice. Oh, and also wheels Black maxima + black body kit + tint windows + black rims
Old 03-24-2004, 09:06 PM
V^___^V

i've been doing both..
Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 PM

do a lil of each, when ever i have cash i do a lil of each, an intake here, a subwoofer there, just to ballance things out. right now im just in a buying spree on performance parts bought agx struts, CAI, and UDP all within 6 weeks and im already down for the warpspeed y pipe deal and a test pipe. Just do what you feel is best, or better yet keep lookin at the group deals, what ever is the best deal at the time just jump on that. Group deals are pretty consistent at offering a variety of products.(struts, springs, y-pipes, UDPulleys, intakes, LCD Monitors, bodykits.....)
Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Yea, I have a stock max 5 speed, just put exhaust on but haven't been to the track and I pulled a 15.8 my first time ever in my Max or on a track.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Offset Is Everything.

not to be mean or anything but why would you care what other people think of your car? its all about personal preference. screw them if they dont like it. it all matters on whether you like it or not. BUT to answer your question, i would do mainly handling,a bit of engine mods (basic bolt-ons), and a tiny bit of exterior.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:25 PM
DoGGy

id do both. rice is more eye catchin tho. and no, rims bodykit and lights arent rice as long as u keep it clean. spinners on a max with crazy **** bodykits that have buncha useless holes are rice. not to mention altezzas.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:10 AM

straight performance......make it a sleeper.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

stop posting ish like this!mod for what you want out of the car, not others

And DO NOT use "z" instead of "s" that is rice
Old 03-25-2004, 08:50 AM

I like them both, but if I had to pick one I'd probably pick a show car for a daily driver.

There's no need to have a drag car on the street, you're only going to get in trouble with the law. We have laws for a reason.
-Cyrus
Old 03-25-2004, 09:03 AM

True, Vyrus. However, I use mine for a daily driver, and it sure makes it fun to use the power against a mustang or something when I want to do so.

I would do the performance mods. They seem to last longer. I mean, if you hit a bump wrong, you could mess up your body kit, or a bumper. The looks are fleeting, and you will suck your life away trying to keep it perfece looking.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rice All The Way!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:30 PM

here is wat i think is a good ballance of rice and performance;
Performance:
*intake
*y pipe
*pulley
*cat back exhaust
*struts/springs w/1.5-1.7 inch drop
*rear sway bar/ front strut brace
*transmission upgrades(clutch, flywheel...)
with these basic bolt ons your car should be a quick and fun driving car
Rice:
*Stillen body kit
*nice 18 inch alloy rims or stock 17 from 2000+max
*factory spoiler
*red clear taillights
*clear turning signals
*upgrade sound system
*tint windows
this would give your car a nice appearance and still have yur car looking like a maxima, you can give or take a mod depending on what you like but as far as ive seen, the nicest maximas on the board are the ones that arent to complicated visually.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:48 PM

Rice = Form over Function

No Rice = Function over Form

IMO anyway…

Personally, I think you should do what you want. Doing something to impress others or make them feel warm and fuzzy about your stuff is gayer than the riciest (I know that’s not a word) Honda on the street.

As long as you are doing what makes you happy, it should not matter what other people think.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:52 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by waveridr85
stop posting ish like this!mod for what you want out of the car, not others

And DO NOT use "z" instead of "s" that is rice

What does it matter what we, or anyone else, think??? It's your car. You're going to be driving it, you're going to have to look at it every morning, and it's your money you'll spending on it. If you want it to be faster, buy go-fast mods. If you want it to look cooler, buy rims, body kit, etc. If you want both, get both. Either way, YOU is the operative word here. Do whatever YOU want to.

If you can't decide for yourself what to spend your money on, give it to me... I've got a laundry list of things I want for my car.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Maxima Mike

I'd get nice exterior mods, and then get some engine mods, it'd be like a trade off. Get an exterior mod(s) and then next purchase would be an engine mod(s). Then switch back and forth.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Sittin' On Chrome

i thought this is a POLL, where is the POLL?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:12 PM

Just ask people who have had higher profile maximas(body kits, large wheels, high end sound systems, etc.) broken into. Adding show to your car can get the attention of thieves, as well as enthusiasts. Just keep that in mind.

I like function over form, so no rice. However, the car is deceptively quick. For the best of both worlds I would say get low $ performance mods that yield good power: y pipe, intake, rear sway bar, shocks, springs. If you have money left over, maybe a front lip, body kit, dash kit, etc.

The first part to improve both performance and looks is a good set of wheels and tires. This is probably the first mod to consider, and if you search around, you can find good deals.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:21 PM

What i am doing is a little of both:
1.) You have to pimp out the ride to make it looks nice.
2.) Put something in the engine cuz you don't want to get beat everytime someone challenges you to a race.

If i were you go into the looks department first and fix up the ride that way and if you still want to mod after that, then go right a head.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Sports Button FTW

go with what you think will make you happier. I prefer a little of everything.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM

What does it matter what we, or anyone else, think??? It's your car. You're going to be driving it, you're going to have to look at it every morning, and it's your money you'll spending on it. If you want it to be faster, buy go-fast mods. If you want it to look cooler, buy rims, body kit, etc. If you want both, get both. Either way, YOU is the operative word here. Do whatever YOU want to.

If you can't decide for yourself what to spend your money on, give it to me... I've got a laundry list of things I want for my car.

Why do we have to be so negative? He said in his post that if you think that what he's asking is stupid, don't bother. He's asking for other people's opinion on what he should do to his car. People who have already done what he's thinking about doing. So you've never asked someone more knowledgeable for their opinion? I doubt it......

As for me, I went audio first, then performance, and now I just got my rims and cefiros. If I could do it again I don't think I'd change much. I would probably get a Y-Pipe first instead of an intake. Suspension is also one of the best mods IMO. Makes your car look a whole lot nicer (if you get a significant drop) while at the same time making it much more fun to drive.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I would do the performance mods. They seem to last longer. I mean, if you hit a bump wrong, you could mess up your body kit, or a bumper. The looks are fleeting, and you will suck your life away trying to keep it perfece looking.
sorry but i think that is half the fun of owning a car. i did nto go into this knowing that i was not going to waste money! if it is broken or not i fix it!

i would say do both. do alittle rice to ebgine with just so your car stands out alittle then do some performance to back the look up. do both and you will be much happier i bet. you know talk the talk, but can;t walk the walk. you do nto want that to be true about you.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gates
Why do we have to be so negative? He said in his post that if you think that what he's asking is stupid, don't bother. He's asking for other people's opinion on what he should do to his car. People who have already done what he's thinking about doing. So you've never asked someone more knowledgeable for their opinion? I doubt it......

As for me, I went audio first, then performance, and now I just got my rims and cefiros. If I could do it again I don't think I'd change much. I would probably get a Y-Pipe first instead of an intake. Suspension is also one of the best mods IMO. Makes your car look a whole lot nicer (if you get a significant drop) while at the same time making it much more fun to drive.
The negativity is well deserved, but it is not directed at him, it is directed at all these non-sense questions that are being asked over and over. Who cares what we think? I am sick and tired of weeding out the grabage threads to find a worthy read. I don't understand why someone can't just look at their car and figure out for themselves what looks good, I don't understand why people keep asking where to buy a budget y-pipe when there is another thread 2 below with the same question, I don't understand why I have to decide for someone which brand of intake they should buy, Im don't understand why people don't use the FAQ, I don't understand why people don't have common sense. But then again look at society, we can't figure out for slow traffic to keep right.

(This was not directed at creator of the thread but to people who all post questions like this)
Old 03-25-2004, 08:16 PM

just do a little of both..don't go NUTS on the engine...cuz think of it..you don't need AMAZING speed..just some nice acceleration..(intake, headers, etc.) but like the smallest things can make ur car look so hot...such as eyelids or like angel eye fogs...have a matching color scheme...like red...then get like all red lights n stuff...sorta ricey...but that's not THAT bad...heh
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 PM

I prefer a little of everything...clean aesthetics, nice sounding (engine not system) and handling being most important to me. The fact that it will be difficult for my auto to get out of the 15s makes me care less about straightline.

But in the end your car is yours...do what you want. Don't fix up your car bc you think others will approve, dont hesitate to buy or do thigns to your car that might get some hate. It's your car and your personality
Old 03-25-2004, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gates

thank you... lol i dont know why people gotta do it man... even if it wasnt meant towards me... the idea that u think my question is dumb is what gets me... if you think its dumb dont reply thats all... its not so hard... and actually i just wanted to get an opinion to what other people think is better. im not tryN to sound like an a$$ or nethN but imjus sick of people writtN dumb stuff in threads as replys. ur the only one outta what 30 people who answered in negativity.

-Kenny-

ps...

ima go with both...
im thinkn stillen body kit...
nice sound system...
cat-back exhaust...
and thats pretty much it for now...
i might get the 2004 maxima rims they are sooo nice lol
Old 03-25-2004, 10:26 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by pLoMaXiMuS
thank you... lol i dont know why people gotta do it man... even if it wasnt meant towards me... the idea that u think my question is dumb is what gets me... if you think its dumb dont reply thats all... its not so hard... and actually i just wanted to get an opinion to what other people think is better. im not tryN to sound like an a$$ or nethN but imjus sick of people writtN dumb stuff in threads as replys. ur the only one outta what 30 people who answered in negativity.

-Kenny-

ps...

ima go with both...
im thinkn stillen body kit...
nice sound system...
cat-back exhaust...
and thats pretty much it for now...
i might get the 2004 maxima rims they are sooo nice lol
sorry to come of sounding so negative, but I truly believe that only you can decide for yourself where your money should go. some people's only goal is to lower their 1/4 mile time, while others want chromed out everything and couldn't care less how fast their car is. the ballers do both, and most of us fall somewhere in between depend on the individual tastes. it's all a matter of personal preference, like what rims you think look good or whether shaved emblems look good.

the only other advice I'd have is you must drop you car if you get rims and/or a body kit, and if you care at all about performance, at least get a y-pipe.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:24 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by waveridr85
The negativity is well deserved, but it is not directed at him, it is directed at all these non-sense questions that are being asked over and over. Who cares what we think? I am sick and tired of weeding out the grabage threads to find a worthy read. I don't understand why someone can't just look at their car and figure out for themselves what looks good, I don't understand why people keep asking where to buy a budget y-pipe when there is another thread 2 below with the same question, I don't understand why I have to decide for someone which brand of intake they should buy, Im don't understand why people don't use the FAQ, I don't understand why people don't have common sense. But then again look at society, we can't figure out for slow traffic to keep right.

(This was not directed at creator of the thread but to people who all post questions like this)

i will agree on this. there are alot of stupid repeditive quetions being asked,and if they took mor ethan 2 minuets to look at all the posts instead of typing one, they would get an answer quicker. There are alot of newbies on the board though, and we ahve all been there( or most of us have), i know when i started n the forums i was asking pointless question that i did nto know about so i do not get to angry. What does **** me off is when they have 4 posts of the same thing in a row. people just try the faq's first, and looke throught a couple pages, one you are on the forums daily you will know where to ook to find differnt posts.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:46 AM

I would pick fixing up the engine of your maxima and making it faster ( no- rice )
Old 03-26-2004, 03:56 AM

You have to do what is best for you, period. Personally, I don't care what anyone else thinks about my car's looks or performance. Ultimately, I'm the one that has to be happy with it - which ever path I choose to travel.

Same applies to you, you should just do what you are going to be happy with. Doesn't matter what that is; rice/aesthetics, performance or a combination of the two.

Asking someone what you should do to your own car is not thinking for yourself. If you follow everyone else and their opinions on what you should do, then you'll have no sense of identity in your own vehicle.

You should really be asking ... "Hey, is a part made by this company better than this one?" Not, "Hey, what should I put on my car?"

Just my $.02 ....
Old 03-26-2004, 11:32 AM

i reply to this thread because it bothers me and lowers the standards of our forums due to the fact of it being %90 garbage and reposts, thats why i reply
Old 03-26-2004, 11:36 AM

i say slam your car, get some clears with hid's and make that sucker
FAST!!!!