4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FSTB advice for my 98 SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FSTB advice for my 98 SE

Any of your experiences and advice for a FSTB would be helpful. I figure there is garbage out there I want to stay away from and also some good product that won't cost ridiculously like CM's model. Steer me, please.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:01 PM

bought a cheap one form procar parts a few years ago..... I could tell the diff the first time I drove the car.... I don't know if the high dollar ones make anymore diff than the cheap ones... as long as the brackets and bar are stiff it will do it's job... one of the best mods in my book ....low cost and no drawbacks .... later
Old 04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

it does not matter weither you buy a $10 ebay one or a $150 stillen one. they dio the same thing. i would say go wit teh cheapest one you can find. you only pay for name and looks. this mod is acually more noticable than i thought. on of those little things i should of done at first.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Doc

Thank you both. I guess you're right about looks vs performance. Some companies are simply high profile and therefore cost more because of the reputation they've built. Also, some are made beautifully to look as well as they perform. I think I may get one from ebay to stiffen up the engine bay. I read recently that this is most important because it is a wide open space compared to the tail end. I would say the FSTB is more important overall than a RSTB at least initially. Thanks again, guys.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Doc
Any of your experiences and advice for a FSTB would be helpful. I figure there is garbage out there I want to stay away from and also some good product that won't cost ridiculously like CM's model. Steer me, please.
A FSTB will do absolutely nothing to a stock 4th gen suspension. It dresses up the engine bay and that's about all it really does. But don't take my word for it, listen to others, waste money on a FSTB, drive a little with it, and then you will see for yourself.

Now a RSB - that's an entirely different story. It does wonders, especially on a stock 4th gen suspension.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by BOSS
A FSTB will do absolutely nothing to a stock 4th gen suspension. It dresses up the engine bay and that's about all it really does. But don't take my word for it, listen to others, waste money on a FSTB, drive a little with it, and then you will see for yourself.

Hey Boss man....good to hear from you again. A friend of mine, who is not trying to sell me anything, works on suspensions. He told me point blank that a FSTB will stiffen up the front end. He said it won't directly help the suspension, but that it will keep the open engine bay from flexing as much as opposed to the rear, which is solidly boxed in. He said by stiffening the open front bay it will allow the suspenion to do its job more effectively. Makes sense to me. I know a lot of guys are into it simply for the looks, though.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Doc

Boss, have you used a FTSB by any chance? Just curious.....
Old 04-01-2004, 05:36 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Doc
Hey Boss man....good to hear from you again. A friend of mine, who is not trying to sell me anything, works on suspensions. He told me point blank that a FSTB will stiffen up the front end. He said it won't directly help the suspension, but that it will keep the open engine bay from flexing as much as opposed to the rear, which is solidly boxed in. He said by stiffening the open front bay it will allow the suspenion to do its job more effectively. Makes sense to me. I know a lot of guys are into it simply for the looks, though.
Ok, I partially agree. Let me reword what I wrote previously. I believe that a FSTB will do nothing to the suspension that one can notice. That means it may actually stiffin up the front a bit like you say, but not in a way that an everyday, average driver would notice. I say this because I didn't notice any difference whatsoever and neither did any of my friends with Maximas - and yes, I do know about torquing it to spec. What I say applies specifically to a Maxima, knowing that FSTB's actually do more good for other cars.

However, even with the worse RSB, anyone will notice a HUGE difference in the way the Maxima handles.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:38 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Doc
Boss, have you used a FTSB by any chance? Just curious.....
Yes, I have one on. I've been driving with it for some 20K miles now. I think it looks good in the engine bay and perhaps does do some, but little of good, which I personally cannot feel/notice.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by BOSS
Yes, I have one on. I've been driving with it for some 20K miles now. I think it looks good in the engine bay and perhaps does do some, but little of good, which I personally cannot feel/notice.

Thanks for your input on this, Boss. As always, I appreciate your honesty.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:52 PM

I think my FSTB made quite a difference. I was always dissapointed by how much the car seemed loose while driving over rough pavement. It seemed almost out of control at times while at high speed. I am pretty sensitive to this, since I love older convertibles and am used to the flex and cowl shake I'd feel while driving them over city streets. I didn't expect it in my Maxima, but it was there to some degree. The FTSB actually made an even bigger difference than I was expecting, and the car felt very solid. I think people get dissapointed when they expect large handling improvements. This mod does NOT improve spring rates or firm up the shocks, so the car WILL still lean in the corners with a stock suspension. I think if you are realistic about what the FSTB will do, you will be very happy with the significant gains for very little cash.
P.S. Sorry about the long post, I always get carried away.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:56 PM

id have to say it deifnatley made a noticeabl difference, not huge, but you remain a littel flatter on corners, its wroth the $20 i put into it, mine was ebay, its a metal bar, as ive said in other posts, gregshome.com made a FSTB outta an aluminum pipe and just crushed the ends, it made a difference, it wasa $5 bar, hey if it works it works
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Offset Is Everything.

with aftermarket struts and springs, you will feel the difference. in hard cornering on stockers, the chassis is a bit stiffer. i myself felt a tiny bit of difference on stock se's but its hardly noticeable.