4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wide Body Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Wide Body Maxima

I was wondering if anyone out there has put oversided, Wide Fender Flares on their maxima. I couldnt search for this so i dont know if there has been a thread on this before. I always admire cars with wide fenders in their design and figure something like this would give the maxima a more aggressive, muscular, powerful look to it. I think the fender flares that nissan put on the body of the max are a little small for conveying the image of the power it holds. It does help with a 'sleeper' image some of you cherish so much. It would also allow us to run wider wheel/tire setups for awesome traction, without looking stupid

I was always looking into buying some of these wide fender flares and putting them on myself and molding them into the body and bumpers of the car, but wanted to see if anyone else has done this or has thought about it. I wish the aftermartket would produce a complete wide body kit for our cars. i previously owned a Mitsubishi Mirage and there were a couple badass widebody kits made which sold quite, quite well to our community, notibly EVO 4,5,6 widebody kits.

Also if anyone has some photoshop skills and wants to hookup a maxima from the front with wide fender flares, i would appreciate it. Thanx
Old 04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Bacon Lover

First off...could we get a photochop of this? Anyone?

Anyways, personally I'd have to see something like this before I'd wanna take the risk and do it. Now mind you, widebody stuff is generally done to actual SPORTS cars, notably coupes. BUT...there are widebody sedans like Mercedes and stuff used in professional racing, and I actually think it doesn't look too bad. Just so long as it's not overdone. But again, it's something I'd have to see for myself.

EDIT: Also, it looks good on those cars because the whole car is widened, it isn't just wide fender flares. It's got to be the whole fender, the front and rear bumpers, etc.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
brotherhood of tq

i guess if its done right then it could look really good.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:06 PM

Here is how the wide body kit looks on my Jetta. This is exactly how a classy wide body kit should look. Not drastically over flared!!!

http://www.dubtechnik.com/Markglry/page1.html
Old 04-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Maximus101
Here is how the wide body kit looks on my Jetta. This is exactly how a classy wide body kit should look. Not drastically over flared!!!

Wow, that actually looks pretty nice. Now, granted, it's just wider fender flares which is the opposite of what I was referring to, it still looks nice. I still want to see a photochopped Max here though...hmm...

Also, I found a picture of one of the Merc's I was referring to (although it's a coupe, and it's from the game GT3)
http://www.lecoyote.net/gtweb/index....on=gt3&idv=836
Old 04-04-2004, 04:14 PM

i think that jetta looks hot with the flares and i think our cars would look nice with a kit as long as it is done right. as long as this kit blends in with the body of the car i think it would look nice. obviously this kt will only look nice on a car with a body kit and some sort of a drop and also some nice aftermarket rims would help as well. if any one does this photoshop try and do it on a nice car like caesars chariot or jason sadlers car with that M3 bumper. i know i shouldnt ask this but how good are tose universal flares sold on ebay, does anyone have them, how is the fittiment
Old 04-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Magikone69
i think that jetta looks hot with the flares and i think our cars would look nice with a kit as long as it is done right. as long as this kit blends in with the body of the car i think it would look nice. obviously this kt will only look nice on a car with a body kit and some sort of a drop and also some nice aftermarket rims would help as well. if any one does this photoshop try and do it on a nice car like caesars chariot or jason sadlers car with that M3 bumper. i know i shouldnt ask this but how good are tose universal flares sold on ebay, does anyone have them, how is the fittiment
I would assume they wouldn't work too well...universal stuff rarely comes out looking it's best on anything. And I agree that it would only look good with a body kit and rims and what not. It'd be nice if we had a body kit that blended together with the widebody though...like this:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...showthread.php

Scroll down to post #21 and look at the Bimmer in the guy's signature...the way the rear bumper blends into the fenders looks sweet IMO.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:27 PM

Actually on my Jetta the front fenders are 1 piece. This is not just a fender flare add on. They are 1 piece fiberglass fenders with alot of hours of sanding to make them look super flat. & the rear flares are 2 piece (rear door piece, quarter panel flare) that extends all the way down to become 1 piece where the side skirt would normally be. Unless you have knowledge in auto body I don't suggest attempting this as your first body repair project. Also if you look closely you will notice that the rear bumper had to be modified to line up with the rear flar... I have alot of man hours into this car. I know it looks pretty but my favorite thing is how it runs low 13's in the 1/4 mile all motor with passengers & about 200lbs of additional stereo equipt....
Old 04-04-2004, 04:29 PM
-Da MTL Brown Boi-

there was a theard about this long tiem ago...
if only i could search
Old 04-04-2004, 04:41 PM

I have seen the flares they sell on ebay & they are way way to big to look right on a Max. How ever since they are so big you could cut them down so they are not to drastic. I was actually thinking of buying them since they where only like $99 bucks or so. What I was thinking about doing was cut them down to the fit I think would look best then take them over to a shop that could duplicate them out of sheet metal so I can weld them to the car. This to me is the best way to do it since fiberglass body kit's tend to crack out over time. Metal however would not. I was just talking to my friend last night about making my max a wide body. I thought that the front fenders although there not that wide already have that squared off look to them so I was gonna leave those alone, shave the moldings on the doors & add a little bit larger flare to the rear. This would induce that thin to wide look when looking fron the front of the vehicle. People have ther own opinions about wide body's, but in most peoples eye's clean & classy actual is more appealing then super wide & bulky....
Old 04-04-2004, 05:05 PM

if you have the Money, you can get a custom body work.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you think that the widebody kit would never work because the kit would get in the way of the rear doors. To think about it there would not be enough clearance between the edge of the wheel well and the opening rear door. Correct me if i'm wrong but that would be a hard mod to do without the right custom body work and money.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:30 PM

You are correct the door is a big factor, but it is possible. Look at my Jetta, notice how my flair continues through the rear door... This is definitly something you should have done professionally unless you have the ability to do more then just the average amount of body work. This isn't like just taking out some little ding, this is a very involved project.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:11 PM

Someone posted a pic of a maxima with a widebody kit, a long time back, it was in those NOPI racing event things, it was silver, and it looked pretty tight, if anyone can search back a year or so, please post it.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:31 PM

If you ever look on an EVO wide body kit, the rear fenders are attached over the doors (let me try to explain this) but is cut with the same lines as the door when it opens. Like uh, damn i wish i had a picture of this, i guess the door lines are traced on the new fender flare and cut out in a way that itll attach to the door and rear of the door be able to open and close properly. ill look for a pic.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 AM

It is highly possible you could make a fairly decent wide-body max (with enough money you can do anything). However, it would more than likely be all show and no go. "This would induce that thin to wide look when looking fron the front of the vehicle". Yeah thats great and all on a RWD car but it is hard to make a decent looking wide-body FWD car that actually serves its purpose. Of corse you would probally only ever do it for aesthetics anyway. It would be incredibly hard to push a max to the point where it needed tires wider than those that will already fit. Long before you are going to want to go 10" wide on the front you are going to have serious problems with traction totally unrelated to your rubber. All-in-all it would be nice to see but not very practical. Respect for anyone who puts it the work though.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:22 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear
It is highly possible you could make a fairly decent wide-body max (with enough money you can do anything). However, it would more than likely be all show and no go. "This would induce that thin to wide look when looking fron the front of the vehicle". Yeah thats great and all on a RWD car but it is hard to make a decent looking wide-body FWD car that actually serves its purpose. Of corse you would probally only ever do it for aesthetics anyway. It would be incredibly hard to push a max to the point where it needed tires wider than those that will already fit. Long before you are going to want to go 10" wide on the front you are going to have serious problems with traction totally unrelated to your rubber. All-in-all it would be nice to see but not very practical. Respect for anyone who puts it the work though.
I agree, but I don't think anyone here had performance in mind. Consider the added weight, also.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:20 AM

With enough body work, these could probably look nice: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2471989827

Really, you'd have to get some matching side skirs, front & rear bumper to finish the job though.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:18 AM

If it was shaped right, it could also remove some of the wheel gap requiring less drop to close it. Then there would be less fear of scraping since the fenders, as others have stated, should have a body kit as well.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DemonSpawn
With enough body work, these could probably look nice: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2471989827

Really, you'd have to get some matching side skirs, front & rear bumper to finish the job though.
They look interesting, I wonder how it would look after completed. You could get a body shop to produce simlilar flares. Might be pricey though.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There was a pebble beige/sunlit sand max pic on the .org awhile ago that had a widebody kit (Well, fender flares). Looked HOT! I saved the pic, but have had my harddrive replaced since so i no longer have that picture...

Eric
Old 04-05-2004, 10:22 AM
^ Jeff™

A couple of links from previous posts here...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=widebody
Originally Posted by BRIGBOY
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=widebody

Just 2 posts I found that had extensive conversations about a widebody kit. Hope that helps.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 AM

damn, looks like people are hating on ebay fender flares hehe. I would fell a little uncomfortable having to take universal fiberglass pieces and reshape everything to get it on the max. I was thinking more along the lines of getting the real fenders extruded (or whatever its called) and filled/molded to an after market kit to create a wider (widebody) look. i dont think i want to go with universal stuff, but honestly i dont think that pic with the big flares looks all that bad. I would like to have bigger flares to make the car look more aggressive and because i would love to throw a set of deeeeeeep lip 19" HREs on it. I would have molded the flares better if i was that guy. IMO