4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So frustrated please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:07 AM

So frustrated please help

Ok here's the deal. Earlier today I checked my ecu for ghost codes. I got a knock sensor and an egr valve code. That sucks ok no big deal. Get to work check it agin. Same to plus a crankshaft position sensor. What the ****. SO I clear all the codes. Drive my car around for a few minutes and I get a check engine light. What the ****. So I check the codes agin and I get just an egr valve code. But now my check engine goes off and on and some times blinks. So how much of this **** is really broken and what do you guys recomend I do.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 AM

Does the car feel like something is wrong with it?

Do you know any mechanics, or can you go under the hood and check and see if everything looks ok?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Does the car feel like something is wrong with it?

Do you know any mechanics, or can you go under the hood and check and see if everything looks ok?
It kind of feels slower. And it felt like it was hard to get started. But I reset the light and boom it feels better.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:15 AM

i say just drive it around for a few days or weeks more without checking it and then after the wks pass by, check it and see if all of them come back. Then you'll know. but it is unhealthy for the car to run with a problem. But it won't kill the car. Just try it out and update us.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:34 AM

if the computer sees a problem with the knock sensor, it will automatically pull out timing across the board to ensure a non-exploded motor. it will continue to do this until the problem is fixed. also, there are some trouble spots to look at, i got this from www.consumerguide.com :

Engine knock: Spark knock or ping may result from a defective onboard computer. (1995-97) (chances are its just the damned knock sensor though)

Hard starting: Hard starting, stalling, or stumbling under load could be caused by corrosion of the coolant sensor. (1995-96)

Hard starting: If the engine does not start on the first attempt, the engine may crank very slowly on the second attempt because of a problem with the engine-control computer. (1995)

Rough idle: Several problems (no-start, no A/C, rough running, etc.) can be traced to broken wires in the engine compartment where the harness bends near the right strut tower. (1995-97)

of course, it doesnt tell you how to fix it, that would be TOO helpful.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:41 AM

Well here's the new new's. I checked the codes agin, and agin I got knock sensor, Wich I know where to get and how to replace, Egr valve or solenoid???? Help any body, And crankshaft sensor, Any body know how hard and exspensive the last two are to fix? I figure I've had the car for four months' now and I have ran it at the strip and drove it and drove it and I have'nt put a dollar in it execpt for oil, So I'm just going to break down and fix these three problem's buy some new tires and plugs. Thank you guys so much
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 AM

the crank sensor is on the tranny side of the engine, next to the tranny. probably on the front of the engine (thats where it is on SR20s).

its about $40 from Greg V @ quality nissan, IIRC.