4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Got Brain Today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I Got Brain Today...

It finally came after about 2 months and 13 days (yes i did count down), my JWT ECU. Fookin JWT sure does like to take their sweet ass time. But it felt longer to install this thing than waiting for it to come in the mail. It took me about 3 hours to uninstall to install the ecu. It would of taken me less time but my friend that i was with kept trying to "help me" but ended up losing my 10mm socket in the process.We had to go to autozone to get another one. That was probably the only problem that i had with this but other than that I am satified more with the extra power.

The extra power that i received with this feels like i finally have a race car under my foot. It was well worth the wait. Now knowing that I can go well beyond redline (which i don't that much), gives me more confidence to kick some mustang ass. Just thought that i would share my excitement with you.

O yeah, I forgot the best thing about this is that on my 97 se I DON'T HAVE A CEL!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by takentomax
It finally came after about 2 months and 13 days (yes i did count down), my JWT ECU. Fookin JWT sure does like to take their sweet ass time. But it felt longer to install this thing than waiting for it to come in the mail. It took me about 3 hours to uninstall to install the ecu. It would of taken me less time but my friend that i was with kept trying to "help me" but ended up losing my 10mm socket in the process.We had to go to autozone to get another one. That was probably the only problem that i had with this but other than that I am satified more with the extra power.

The extra power that i received with this feels like i finally have a race car under my foot. It was well worth the wait. Now knowing that I can go well beyond redline (which i don't that much), gives me more confidence to kick some mustang ass. Just thought that i would share my excitement with you.

O yeah, I forgot the best thing about this is that on my 97 se I DON'T HAVE A CEL!!!!!!
thats f*cking sweet man. I remember when u first sent it out. I'm happy 4 u. You should call them up and tell them u get no cel so they can finally say they make ECU's for 97's with no problems.

btw, what prod date is on the ecu u sent for programming and whats the prod date on your car? i have an ecu with 12/96 and my car is 3/97. I think if i sent mine out i wouldnt get cel either.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:40 PM

mecca, if i can remember correctly it was 3/96 ecu. As for the car, it was the same month as yours 3/97. I don't think that you would have a problem.
The only problem you would have is getting over the price for the s/c program that you would have to get with the JWT ECU. That **** is expensive.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

MEVI? If not then you got some crazy mid range torque right now.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 PM

no MEVI right now but later for sure...

question: does it take time for the upgrade ecu to get use to the car?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:13 PM

WOW!!!! I want ECU but Im afraid I will get that damn CEL.
Good stuff man. How much did you pay for it?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:51 AM

Congrats!
I am happy for you!
I know that you have been waiting on that for a long time.
I have to live vicariously through you now, because I have a 99 and cannot get an upgrade....not yet, at least. ha ha
Keep us posted on other stuff you do.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:28 AM

Just got my JWT ECU too. I have a 96 with an MEVI. I paid $525. The JWT kicks ****! The 7200 rev limit is a beast! I plan to do a dyno this wknd.

I also have a G-Force ECU and am thinking about dynoing both ECUs--it'll be an ECU shootout!! hehe Has anyone done a direct comparison?

My last dyno yielded a peak 181 HP with Intake, Y, Gforce ECU. It'll be interesting to see if I get anymore HP w/ the JWT ECU. The only thing that has changed since that dyno is that I added new plugs (NGK coppers) and new ignition coils (mitsubishi type rather than hanshin type). Also, I switched from an ACT clutch to OEM clutch.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i would say yeah, the ecu will adjust ! this may be my redneck theory, but each time i switch ecu's the car just feels stronger the next day or two ?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by j_bryan
Just got my JWT ECU too. I have a 96 with an MEVI. I paid $525. The JWT kicks ****! The 7200 rev limit is a beast! I plan to do a dyno this wknd.

I also have a G-Force ECU and am thinking about dynoing both ECUs--it'll be an ECU shootout!! hehe Has anyone done a direct comparison?

My last dyno yielded a peak 181 HP with Intake, Y, Gforce ECU. It'll be interesting to see if I get anymore HP w/ the JWT ECU. The only thing that has changed since that dyno is that I added new plugs (NGK coppers) and new ignition coils (mitsubishi type rather than hanshin type). Also, I switched from an ACT clutch to OEM clutch.
That would be really cool if you dyno compared them. It's never been done and the info would be valueable
Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM

What he said.....^^^^^^^
Old 04-15-2004, 02:29 PM

Cool. New data is good!

There has been some debate in the past about whether the program at WOT for our ECUs is fixed or not. If wide open throttle (WOT) is fixed within the ECU then theoretically I could do 3 dyno pulls with the JWT, then swap the JWT with the G-force ECU and do 3 more pulls.

If that assumption is flawed, wouldn't I need to allow some time for each ECU to adjust? I should start another thread to discuss this to determine the optimal test...
Old 04-15-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by j_bryan
Cool. New data is good!

There has been some debate in the past about whether the program at WOT for our ECUs is fixed or not. If wide open throttle (WOT) is fixed within the ECU then theoretically I could do 3 dyno pulls with the JWT, then swap the JWT with the G-force ECU and do 3 more pulls.

If that assumption is flawed, wouldn't I need to allow some time for each ECU to adjust? I should start another thread to discuss this to determine the optimal test...
At WOT your in closed loop operation so it should be fixed. 6 pulls total, that is not going to be cheap
Old 04-15-2004, 06:15 PM

that gonna be kinda expensive don't you think? 6 pulls is gonna be another mod cost. o well in the name of science.

In other news, today (unfortunately) once my ecu got use to my car the dreaded CEL came up. Is this normal for the car to get a CEL a day later after installation of the JWT?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 PM

I did not get any codes thrown because of the JWT ECU. What was the code? You are using a 96 ECU in a 97 so getting a code is not out of the question
Old 04-15-2004, 09:40 PM

0505 this sux. Looks like i'm gonna have the CEL. Well if i'm gonna have a CEL, does anybody know why this happens on a 97 when using a 96 ecu? What exactly does the computer read as an error?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by takentomax
0505 this sux. Looks like i'm gonna have the CEL. Well if i'm gonna have a CEL, does anybody know why this happens on a 97 when using a 96 ecu? What exactly does the computer read as an error?
I am sure someone can add to my info, but the as long as you are using an ECU from the same tranny type maxima the only problem should be with the rear o2 sensor. A cel with no code makes me thing that there is a pin in the ECU that is not being used that "should' be used.

IMO, it's not a big deal. I would just check the code once a month or so. But I can see how that would be annoying
Old 04-16-2004, 04:43 AM

have fun!

10 characters....
Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a 96 M/T and my JWT ECU gives me the codes 0804 A/T Control Unit and 1005 EGR Control Solenoid.