4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:45 PM

Remote starter??

Hello... I just recently bought a bulldog remote starter and absent mindedly forgot to check out if it would work with my car.

The manual says it is for automatic fuel injected cars only. I've got one down, but I have manual so that presents a problem. I figure it has something to do with having to put the clutch down when starting the car.

SO MY QUESTION IS: If I alter the switch that is depressed when the clutch pedal is down so the car can be started without touching the clutch...will there be any problems caused?

I am unsure of what else the button that the clutch assemply depresses when down is connected to, so before I go taping over the button I wanted to check.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP POSSIBLE!!
Old 05-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A better way to do it would be to use a bosch type relay and tap into the switch that signals the depressed action of the clutch (otherwise the car will think that the clutch is depressed all the time and I don't know if that signals anything else to the rest of the system...you could try it, but I'm not sure if it's such a good idea).

So what I would do is try to install the whole thing and sit in the car with the clutch depressed to make sure it works. Then you can try playing with the relay.

When I installed mine (from designtech), it was such a pain in the neck because the wire colors change when they pass harnesses and forget about trying to wire up the door lock/unlock (it can definately be done, but you have to tap into the door switch, then run wires through the door, under the panel, back to the remote module...)
Old 05-01-2004, 09:10 PM

here is my experience when installing mine last week.

There are two switches at the clutch pedal:
one to start the car (which requires you clutching down and pressing the switch,)
and one that is pushed in backwards when you release the clutch. This second one tells the cruise control that the clutch it out and it can be engaged. If you press it, it disables the cruise control.

I disabled the clutch start switch by disconnecting the connector to the switch, putting a wire into both terminals of the connector to close the circuit, and that was it. Your car should have a neutral safety wire as well so ask around for how to locate it and what color it is and how to test for it.

I was made to realise that my car (94 se) had a neutral safety wire at the ecu which I used after disabling the clutch wire (which is the first wire i described above.) That way, if my car is in gear, it does not start at all.

good luck
Old 05-01-2004, 09:17 PM

that is freakin sweet. so when u start your car, does your key still need to go into the ignition to drive it? like you still have to turn it?
Old 05-01-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by image
that is freakin sweet. so when u start your car, does your key still need to go into the ignition to drive it? like you still have to turn it?
Yep, you need to insert the key and turn it to the "on" position (*NOT* start!) and hit the brake to dis-engage the alarm. Otherwise, when you hit the brake w/o the key in the "on" position, the car will turn off.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, they say not to install on a manual because if you remote start it while in gear it will definatly cause damage to your car and someone elses property most likely.

Also, you may need somtihng to bypass your stock alarm, especially if you have chip key, then you cannot use your bulldog remote start, you would need a extra key and an additional computer module, and remote start makes you car easier to steal...

It's not that hard to wire, let us know how it goes.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:38 AM

there is a remote starter for manual. it is buy ast. Nissanlover since you don't have a 99 maxima there is no chip in your key. do you have a factory remote? i can help you along if you need it. answer me on that please....
Old 05-02-2004, 03:31 PM

No I do not have a factory alarm, but I there is an after factory alarm on it. I do not even know what kind because it was with the car when I bought it. I got a killer deal on the bulldog which is why I picked it up and admist me thinking I just found a sweet deal I did not even check the specs. But yeah I could use the help. I just want to make sure that it will not hurt anything if I bypass the first switch.