4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Annoying noise coming from wsp y pipe. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:14 AM

Annoying noise coming from wsp y pipe. HELP!

Sorry guys if this threads been answered before, but the search option is not working for me. I have a question regarding my y pipe. Well, i recieved my warpspeed y pipe from the group deal that was going on a while back. Installing it was pretty easy after wrestling with the stock y pipe's bolts; everything bolted in correctly, gaskets fit right, i followed the instructions pretty well. However, when i took my max for a spin i noticed that when im under hard acceleration or when the engine is at a really low rpm, my y pipe hits my chassis somewhere making an annoying rattle. It sounds like its coming from the cat area of the exhaust piping, but when i jacked my car up i couldn't find anything that could make the pipe touch the chassis. Maybe its just me.

But the warpspeed instructions says that "On some VQ engine 1995-1999 Maxima's it may be necessary to bend part of the thin vertical bracket at the front where the converter attaches over towards the center to keep anything from contacting the frame of the car, the rubber hangers should hang straight down. Also check to make sure the other 2 rubber hangers are correctly aligned on your B pipe", but im still a little confused. Can somebody give me a picture of where that bracket is or more detailed instructions so i can eliminate that sound? Its starting to drive me nuts. Other than the noise, im very pleased with my new injen cai/wsp ypipe set up.

This is the first time i posted something of significance on the org, so please take it easy on me =). Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:41 AM

Mine doesn't hit so I don't know personally what you are saying, but I have heard some others talk about this.
I think it is referring to the cross members. You need to bend those a little bit to keep the rattle down.
I have heard this mostly from the older 4th gens, not newer. Which is surprising.....we always have the trouble....ha ha.

Mine bangs every once in a while when I get a lot of wheel hop going at WOT. That is just because I am causing the whole exhaust to hop around and even with the hangers in the correct place, it hits a little.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:35 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

yea...where is this cross member we are talking about and how do you go about bending it?