4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trunk opening problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:43 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Trunk opening problems.....

my trunk will only open when the key is used. if i use my keyless or if i use my button on my door that trucnk will make the poping sound like it is opening but it won't open. i know everythign is working cause i hear it trying to open. i am use to the luxuary of popping my trunk open.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

m-max, open the trunk w/key, look down at latch assembly (that's da hole lookin' back at you), now to the inside of that hole is another hole. reach in there, you should feel a flat bar sticking out, pull it upward. problem fixed, taadaa. that's your valet switch for the trunk.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:53 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

fixed it....awsome thanks alot! i do not even have a valet key or anything and i do not know how that got started. thanks bro
Old 05-09-2004, 09:48 AM

to get a valet key is easy, any locksmith shop can make you one from your regular key. just tell'em you want a valet key made. as for the latch, something could have bumped it down, movin' round in da trunk.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:11 AM

YOu could also go to Walmart or something to get a vallet key. Anywhere you could have a key made.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:02 AM

I...kinda broke my key in the trunk keyhole the other night Hehe, I know...it was stupid but since then, I can't use my key to open the trunk and I always have to open the front door then release the trunk so is there a way I can fix that?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:17 PM

max- it can be done, but you'll need to remove the trunk key cylinder. here we go, open the trunk & remove the inner panel with a pry tool or flat screwdriver by prying out the plastic buttons (sometimes its easier to pry behind the panel, that way it moves the whole button at once), look up thru lid access hole near right t/light. remove the lock cyl. rod from the clip & the mounting plate (use a screwdriver to push the plate out). then disconnect the wire. turn the lock about 45 degrees to pull it out. now try tapping the lock upside down to see if the broken piece will come out, if not, take to a locksmith for removal. installation is in reverse. get anew key while you're there. hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by nitromax
max- it can be done, but you'll need to remove the trunk key cylinder. here we go, open the trunk & remove the inner panel with a pry tool or flat screwdriver by prying out the plastic buttons (sometimes its easier to pry behind the panel, that way it moves the whole button at once), look up thru lid access hole near right t/light. remove the lock cyl. rod from the clip & the mounting plate (use a screwdriver to push the plate out). then disconnect the wire. turn the lock about 45 degrees to pull it out. now try tapping the lock upside down to see if the broken piece will come out, if not, take to a locksmith for removal. installation is in reverse. get anew key while you're there. hope this helps.
Thx a lot. Ima try this this week-end, hope it will work
Old 05-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I got my car the trunk key never worked in the keyhole...i only get in the trunk from my keyfob or inside the car. I never really cared much about it but now I might get it fixed....about a year ago my trunk locked and I couldn't get in...had to take a long stick and from the backseat jab at the latch to get that lock down so it would open...the little valet lock was on or whatever but I wanna make sure that doesn't happen again.....would a locksmith be the way to fix this, to get it to match my other keyholes?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:52 AM

whats a valet key? sorry for the ingorance. lol WACK

Sean
Old 05-11-2004, 02:01 PM

nick- 1st there is no "trunk key" per say. do your keys work in the doors, ignition,& glovebox? if one key will do that, the same key should work in the trunk. the "trunk key", should work the door, ignition, but not the glove box, nor trunk. if that's how everything is working, you have been trying to use the "valet key" to open the trunk.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:10 PM

sean-valet keys allow you to give a key to a friend, parking attendant, gf, whoever to drive and lock the car but not have access to "stuff" in the trunk (set switch "down" to lockout) & glovebox.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 AM

I know I am resurrecting a very old thread, but here is my experience with my trunk lock cylinder.
When I bought the car second hand in 99, I could not open the trunk with the key, so they replaced the cylinder under warranty and it was good for about 3-4 years. After that it stopped working again.
So this weekend I decided to try and fix it. I took it out - by removing the 2 10mm bolts, the metal rod and the electrical connector. After that I had to remove the clip, plastic attachment and spring from it's front.
Noticed that it had lots of corrosion which was whitish in color, which means the housing at least must be made of aluminum. So I put it in baking soda and water for about 1 hour to loosen up. From time to time I would try to turn the key, but it would not budge at all. I would push with a flat screw driver on the springs to try to engage them and they did after a while. After that I had to tap it at the front with a plastic hammer couple of times to break the hold of rust in it and it finally turned.
Blew the water out and dried it with hair drier. Put some silicone lubricant (instead of wd40) and started working it to get it to turn smoothly. It would never get very smooth - the silicone lubricant is too thin for that. So I poured some "gear oil" which is much thicker oil and it made a huge difference. After a while it was functioning like new.
Soaked it with oil, put it back together an put electrical tape all around it where it is open, so moisture and dirt would not get in. Assembled and it works like charm again.

Last edited by svezarov; 11-14-2011 at 07:58 AM.