4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear end noise - care to guess..plueeze

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear end noise - care to guess..plueeze

Any diagnosticians who have any clue what a scratchy, squealing kind of noise from rear passenger tires side that can only be heard with windows open and somewhat intermittently, mostly at low speed and goes away when I engage the brake?

I have no braking issues, no nothing but the evil noise. I'm a scared its sumptin bad and i'm gonna get socked at the shop

97 SE , 5 speed
Old 05-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like a brake problem to me from your description. If that's the case, don't panic too much.

Are the pads in good condition?
Could it be just normal brake noise?
Are there shims between the pad and caliper?
Is there any debris between the pad and rotor?
How many miles are on these pads?

Brake work is fairly straight forward, you might consider trying it yourself. Usually really tight bolts it the biggest headache on brakes. Nothing a really long breaker bar can't handle.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Definitely not normal noise, just noticed recently and is cured by engaging brakes. It has been a long while since new pads although I do almost all highway miles, maybe 60k since. I was wondering also what warning noise might apply if pads were low? Would that be only in case of braking or wheel movement that I might hear noise?

THere may also be debris as i pass through scarified road that they are repairing to go to work and lots of loose gravel stuff flies about.

Appreciate the reply, hope it is brake related

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
Sounds like a brake problem to me from your description. If that's the case, don't panic too much.

Are the pads in good condition?
Could it be just normal brake noise?
Are there shims between the pad and caliper?
Is there any debris between the pad and rotor?
How many miles are on these pads?

Brake work is fairly straight forward, you might consider trying it yourself. Usually really tight bolts it the biggest headache on brakes. Nothing a really long breaker bar can't handle.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, my first thought was the pad warning tabs. A lot of things can cause brake noise. The best thing is probably to jack it up, take the wheel off and take a look. You could also spin the wheel before you take it off to see if you hear the noise. Fronts will often squeal if there is not anti squeak stuff or shims between the pad and caliper, not sure about the rears though.