4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-pipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Y-pipe Installation

I ordered a Budget Y-pipe for my '95 Maxima SE today. The car is a 5-speed with 52,800 original miles on it. I must be losing it! I saw in another thread last night on maxima.org or perhaps nwmaxima.com where someone recommended that the shop that will be installing the y-pipe fabricate and install another 2.5" pipe at the same time that would add say 5 hp. I'm not sure what the person meant and can't find the thread now for love or money. Anyone have any ideas what he would have meant? I have heard a "straight pipe" being referred to, but don't know what that is. How effective is a "B-pipe"?

I believe the pipe in question leads into the muffler. Help please!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Straight pipe is a replacement for the cat. The B-pipe is the pipe between the cat and the muffler. I'd like to know more about the benefits too. Like differences between stock, resonated, and unresonated b-pipes. How much more power is unresonated? And is it worth the added noise?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:05 PM

I am trying to avoid added noise which is the reason I recently bought a K&N panel air filter rather than opting for a CAI. I don't believe the y-pipe will cause additional noise, particularly while crusing - a little more noise when I stomp on it I can handle.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:15 PM

well not to prove you wrong but the y-pipe will be alittle louder than stock and you will hear it.

Anyways, I think i read the same thread that you are talking about but i think that guy was full of shiit. Some say that installing parts at the sametime is better than installing parts seperately with weeks or months between.

The straight pipe is useless in the exhaust, keep the cat. As for the b-pipe look into gaining about 4-5hp. www.budgetexhaust.com makes y and b pipes, you can check there for more info.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:22 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Unresonated b-pipes will result in high-pitched, bees-in-a-can type noise. Resonators will cause your exhaust note to be deep and aggressive.

~THT
Old 05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by takentomax
well not to prove you wrong but the y-pipe will be alittle louder than stock and you will hear it.

Anyways, I think i read the same thread that you are talking about but i think that guy was full of shiit. Some say that installing parts at the sametime is better than installing parts seperately with weeks or months between.

The straight pipe is useless in the exhaust, keep the cat. As for the b-pipe look into gaining about 4-5hp. www.budgetexhaust.com makes y and b pipes, you can check there for more info.

Is it louder when you accelerate under normal driving and at idle?

Also i dont know if its just me, but I cant access the budget site.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:48 PM

I haven't talked to Budget about a b-pipe, just the y-pipe. I called them at 1 - 800 - 256-4482. The woman who takes orders is named Jody. Oddball hours - she is only there until 2:00 or 2:30 ET. Also can e-mail them at: mufflers@allstream.net.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:55 PM

Whats the difference between y-pipes and b-pipes as far as sound and performance go?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by blkhawk500
Is it louder when you accelerate under normal driving and at idle?

Also i dont know if its just me, but I cant access the budget site.
Yes to both. There is a noticible amount of noise that comes out when you install a aftermarket y to an aftermarket catback. But more to normal diriving than idling. If you have never experienced a catback on your car before, it will be loud. I was surprised at the amount of noise when i installed the apexi (even though it was a perfect tone). Even more surprised when i installed the y.

As for the website, i don't know why it's not working right now but that is the site for budget.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:02 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Originally Posted by pakteef
Whats the difference between y-pipes and b-pipes as far as sound and performance go?
Y-pipe replacement will result in noticeable power gain whereas the b-pipe replacement won't (by the butt dyno).

~THT
Old 05-26-2004, 06:06 PM

how does the exhaust sound with y pipe...stock b pipe and a straight through muffler?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 PM

I just received my stainless steel y-pipe from budget. It was $265 canadian shipped. Jody from budget told me that was about $200 U.S. To me the welds look crappy, almost like it was slopped on. It sure doesn't look coins stacked end to end. My pipe came painted silver. I thought they paint them black? I took a magnet to it and it stuck so I'm pretty sure its stainless steel and not aluminized steel. I got to wait to put on my y-pipe until I get my stock b-pipe with holes replaced with a 2.5" resonated b-pipe. I can't wait though!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:50 AM

i know this sounds noob, but will the y pipe from budget all fit w/ a cat converter and a stillen exhaust?? also i took out the resonator (which my mom found and trashed) how would it sound? hope not too loud
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 AM
THT
Throbbing member

Yes, it'll fit. Stillen exhaust is a bit loud to begin with and the aftermarket Y will only make it worse.

~THT
Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

rmurdoch, if we meet up before you get the Budget Y you can listen to my setup with the stock exhaust. I hear more intake noise than I do the Y.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:49 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Ludacris
how does the exhaust sound with y pipe...stock b pipe and a straight through muffler?
Annoying drone around 2,500rpm and loud above that with a straight through Vibrant universal muffler. I stuck my stock muffler back on because of it.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I ordered a Budget Y-pipe for my '95 Maxima SE today. The car is a 5-speed with 52,800 original miles on it. I must be losing it! I saw in another thread last night on maxima.org or perhaps nwmaxima.com where someone recommended that the shop that will be installing the y-pipe fabricate and install another 2.5" pipe at the same time that would add say 5 hp. I'm not sure what the person meant and can't find the thread now for love or money. Anyone have any ideas what he would have meant? I have heard a "straight pipe" being referred to, but don't know what that is. How effective is a "B-pipe"?

I believe the pipe in question leads into the muffler. Help please!

i just went back to stock this morning, i didnt like teh noise in first gear, and it vibrated alot in first and second gear (automatic), in third gear the car was completley normal, and i'd get this grainy feeling in the gas pedal which drove me insane pretty much, you'd want to do the "dave b modification" which involves using an intake clamp to where the original ypipe was mounted to the tranny, i had a warpspeed pipe, there is a slight noise increase, for me i dont like noise at all, so i gathered up the ***** and went back to stock, im going to get a 5speed max real soon, i may put it in there and then clamp it down so it doenst vibrate or resonate, if you look at the stock exhaust, after the resonator, the pipe severly tapers off to the point it looks crushed or flattened on the top and bottom, thats the B-pipe restriction
Old 05-27-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Annoying drone around 2,500rpm and loud above that with a straight through Vibrant universal muffler. I stuck my stock muffler back on because of it.
Blackcat...sick car dude I love it!

Jeez that bad huh, did it sound raspy at all?...I really love my muffler and I don't wanna get rid of it plus my gf bought it for me as a present =/
Old 05-27-2004, 05:27 PM

I'm going to pass on the B-pipe. Now back to my original concern, will I notice much of a difference in sound with the Budget Y-pipe, given that the rest of the exhaust system will remain stock.

Will I notice much of a noise difference:

1. Idling (presently I have to look at the tach to make sure the engine is running as I can't hear it)

2. When accelerating

3. When cruising, say at 65- 75 mph

I was hoping that I wouldn't notice much of a difference in noise, for 1 and 3 above. Don't mind the noise when I have my foot in it!
Thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 05:33 PM

You will only hear the y-pipe after 4K or so, or under WOT. It's only noticeable if there is an exhaust leak or the pipe is banging against something. Other than that you can hear more air moving through the pipe but that's about it. Nothing even close to airbox or fartpipes.

For cruising, like you described, you will not hear a difference over stock.

As far as b-pipe / muffler goes, I would leave that alone. No signifigant HP gain, plus you will sound like uncle bens type-R.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:13 PM

Thanks, Scarface. I was starting to get buyer's remorse and I don't even have the Y-pipe yet. I am sure I'll be fine with it. I like your taste in car models and colors!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I'm going to pass on the B-pipe. Now back to my original concern, will I notice much of a difference in sound with the Budget Y-pipe, given that the rest of the exhaust system will remain stock.

Will I notice much of a noise difference:

1. Idling (presently I have to look at the tach to make sure the engine is running as I can't hear it)

2. When accelerating

3. When cruising, say at 65- 75 mph

I was hoping that I wouldn't notice much of a difference in noise, for 1 and 3 above. Don't mind the noise when I have my foot in it!
Thanks
No not that much noise is going to be during idling if you have to look at the tach. Just on WOT. I think that if you were to get an intake, that would be much louder than the pipe itself.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned

Yep. I just installed my Warpseed Y, and she's nice and quiet at idle and cruise. Step on it, and she has a nice growl. But a lot of that is probably my intake.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:43 AM

Thanks, I am going to pass on the CAI at this point as well and just go with the K&N panel air filter.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by THT
Yes, it'll fit. Stillen exhaust is a bit loud to begin with and the aftermarket Y will only make it worse.

~THT
I have this setup: Stillen catack with a Warpspeed Y-pipe. My cat is the only thing still stock on my exhaust.

And yes. The noise increase was pretty substantial. But it grew on me after a few days and I like it now. It is nowhere near as loud or annoying as some of the local Honda Civics, Accords, Acura Integras, or cavaliers.