4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone good with Electricity?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 AM

Anyone good with Electricity?

hey guys,
I wasnt sure of which forum to post this into so here goes...

I purchased an LED interior light for my car and I'm in a rut. Im trying to figure out what I need to get it to light up again since the fuse keeps blowing out. I've had the LED light up many times for about a second or two before the fuse would go. I have a 7.5 amp fuse protecting my interior dome light. The old dome light bulb is 12 Volts, 10 Watts. When I put the LED bulb into the dome light, the fuse burns out and my interior lights go out. I wasn't paying attention in physics class ( I guess thats what I get for being stupid ) and I'm not exactly sure what to do. The specs on the LED bulb are:

Voltage: 12-14 volts
Power: 10 watts
Current: .83 amps

I'm not sure but I'm guessing I have to wire in a resistor? If so, which one do I get from radio shack.

I also tried putting a 40 amp fuse instead of the 7.5 amp one. That burned out as well. Any suggestions?
http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...4VapcmY_ph.jpg
Thanks!
'97 Max SE
Old 06-04-2004, 12:41 PM

Here's what I would do:

Go back and see if the original oem light bulb works without blowing the fuse.

a) If the original bulb work, then your LED bulb is not what it's supposed to be. Or its a bad bulb that's somehow gets shorted when heated up.

b) If the orginal bulb also blow the fuse, then you have a short somewhere in the circuit.

Good luck.

BTW, I would NOT replace the 7.5 amp fuse with anything higher (40 amp is way way to much). Doing so simply mask the problem temporarily, and potentially lead to much serious problem later on. The correct and only correct fuse should be used.

Originally Posted by jif718
hey guys,
I wasnt sure of which forum to post this into so here goes...

I purchased an LED interior light for my car and I'm in a rut. Im trying to figure out what I need to get it to light up again since the fuse keeps blowing out. I've had the LED light up many times for about a second or two before the fuse would go. I have a 7.5 amp fuse protecting my interior dome light. The old dome light bulb is 12 Volts, 10 Watts. When I put the LED bulb into the dome light, the fuse burns out and my interior lights go out. I wasn't paying attention in physics class ( I guess thats what I get for being stupid ) and I'm not exactly sure what to do. The specs on the LED bulb are:

Voltage: 12-14 volts
Power: 10 watts
Current: .83 amps

I'm not sure but I'm guessing I have to wire in a resistor? If so, which one do I get from radio shack.

I also tried putting a 40 amp fuse instead of the 7.5 amp one. That burned out as well. Any suggestions?
http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...4VapcmY_ph.jpg
Thanks!
'97 Max SE