4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The 98/99 ECU Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:05 PM

Bump it up to the top..............
Old 06-07-2004, 01:24 PM

but what does that really mean to us? Even if what you say is correct, why would we want to remove the NVIS from the ECU? We are trying to modify our existing ECU's.. not replace them.. I guess thats what you were refering to? Even if that was the case, then how would nissan or any other dealership service cars that have a blown ECU? Im sure they have ways to code the new ecu to the current key or whatever..
Old 06-07-2004, 01:45 PM

ICs #3 and #5 have the same logo as the logo on the hood of this car:

So these two chips are stamped with Unisia's logo. We need to somehow identify what kinds of devices these are.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:03 PM

I guess I wasnt clear as I thought, let me restate what I mean.

The reason that other companies arent taking on the task is because of this I think. Not that I dont want something done, beleive me, I want the ECU upgrade as much as anyone, the companies just wont jump out and do it cause the market isnt there for them to make money with the amount of time they would put in.

If you crack this however, you would be pulling off one of the hugest success's this board has seen!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:04 PM

Looking more at Hitachi-Unisia website, I noticed this:
Control Unit (Engine and Automatic Transmission )

Ultra downsizing design of applying RISC micro processor of 32 bits and custom IC.
So it might be worthwhile to start probing and try to identify the microprocessor first.

Also notice that there are two headerless connectors towards the lower right hand corner. One is a two row 40 pin (same is IDE?) and another is a single row of 20 pins. Anyone wanna take a stab and what those are for? Thay may be our doorway to read/write to this thing.

P.S. Anyone got a 98 SE ecu for sale?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:06 PM

If this was the case then wouldn't they just flat out say that they cant do it? why keep putting us off...

Originally Posted by Jr'sMaxima
I guess I wasnt clear as I thought, let me restate what I mean.

The reason that other companies arent taking on the task is because of this I think. Not that I dont want something done, beleive me, I want the ECU upgrade as much as anyone, the companies just wont jump out and do it cause the market isnt there for them to make money with the amount of time they would put in.

If you crack this however, you would be pulling off one of the hugest success's this board has seen!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Kevlo for President

Once you get your OBD-II reader, we should be able to do some things.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:06 PM

I somehow stumbled across Unisia North America's website: http://www.unisia-na.com/products.php
Old 06-07-2004, 03:34 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by 98fiveSpeed
....And then hoping the thing would run. So if you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction, maybe we can get something done.

-Jasmeet
For the record, this "maybeing" has been going on for quite some time now, and I don't mean months, nor days. I read hundreds of threads regarding this "I can maybe do this ECU thing" and they all pretty much end up the same way - with a big NOTHING.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that happen, but I can honestly say IT WON'T. Anyhow, keep tryin, but don't be surprised to end up disappointed. Oh yeah, no hard feelings guys, but please stop the "maybe's" because they're really getting annoying and I speak for others when I say this.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:04 PM

i would love to see a list of these "maybeing"s ur talking about. Links? Or maybe u can enlighten us by telling us the reason those projects failed?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:16 PM
BOSS

omg there is literally one or two threads a week in the 4th gen forum about 97-99 ECU's! R u blind?

Each and every time someone says they'll maybe do something about it.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 PM

Looking more at Hitachi-Unisia website, I noticed this:

So it might be worthwhile to start probing and try to identify the microprocessor first.

Also notice that there are two headerless connectors towards the lower right hand corner. One is a two row 40 pin (same is IDE?) and another is a single row of 20 pins. Anyone wanna take a stab and what those are for? Thay may be our doorway to read/write to this thing.

P.S. Anyone got a 98 SE ecu for sale?
yes i have an auto and a 5spd. but the 5 spd is canadian. long story.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:25 PM

how much are u asking for the ecu 98maxblackwind?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:54 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I was confused about the comments on the possibility of Technosquare doing an ECU, so I emailed them asking for the nitty gritty...i.e. is there any possibility, how many people would we need, etc. The answer was that they're definitely not doing one. So I guess it's stillen, roll your own, or bust.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 PM

Anything else surfacing, 98fivespeed?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Anything else surfacing, 98fivespeed?
Work keeps me busy mostly. But I recvd my OBDII interface yesterday and brought it to work with me hoping to play around with the commands and stuff, but it turns out it draws power from the ECU... I need to get a small power adapter and inject some power to it or somehow power up my ecu, and connect the proper wires to my OBDII kit so that I can talk to the ECU my cube.. I have the thick maxima manual sitting with me so I will start figureing out which pins I need to power the ECU up with and the proper voltages.. hopefully all 12v.
Bit a PC power supply gives me both, 12V and 5V so I should be able to power the ECU up and play with it.

For those that are interested, the kit i'm using is from scantool.net. Cant wait to test it tho..

Anyone know if it is possible to program an ECU via OBDII port? Or did nissan make the OBDII interface a read only interface?

Anyone have any luck identifying the parts?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Kevlo for President

DO you have a FSM?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
DO you have a FSM?
Yes. I have the fat book...although Im tempted to buy the CDROM version.. wonder if that might be easier for me. Cuz I gotta tugg this thing around with me to work and back :-/

But anyways, some more stuff. I came across three documents specific to Nissan ECUs:

1) http://maxima.jatt.net/documents/Bas..._Schematic.pdf
2) http://maxima.jatt.net/documents/Con...ds_Issue_5.pdf
3) http://maxima.jatt.net/documents/Gen...able_Ver_2.pdf

Now take a close look at the second document, Consult_Protocol_And_Commands_Issue_5.pdf. On page 3, section 3.5

All the ECU eprom data can be read out by reading 8 bytes at at time and appending to a file. This is used to create ROM binaries for use in expansion
boards.
Here gentlemen is the method to dump the eeprom.

Now the next section on the same page says:

4.1.1. Commands to temporarily alter ECU outputs for Fuel, Ignition timing and relays etc can be done by sending a Activation byte (0x0A) then a activation type register to set followed by the new register data. Registers and results are in the table below. Eg 0x0A XX YY where XX is the test type, YY is the data. Terminate the command with F0
This would be the way to change that eeprom data. But it seems like this is temporary.. We need to find a way to make these changes temporary. But look at the bright side, we have a way to modify our ECU, If we cannot make permament changes, then a simple 8bit microcontroller can sit there connected to our ecu via the OBDII port and program it on the fly. We could even design a our own piggy back system which would sit there continuously read from the ECU and modify some values if needed...

*cant wait to talk to my ECU..
Old 06-08-2004, 06:31 PM

how much are u asking for the ecu 98maxblackwind?
pm me i got a deal for ya.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Chassis Freak

I read about the NVIS from this article, http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march04/ask_sarah/ Title of the article is What are the differences between the VQ30DE and VQ35DE? So to me it seems like NVIS was added to the new motor, and 99s should be the same as my 98. But is this not the case??

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the second page of this thread. Here's some info, though: NVIS stands for two things. Yes, it stands for Nissan Variable Induction System on the 5th gens. But in re a 99 ECU, we're talking about the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System. The NVIS will not allow the engine to start without the use of a registered NVIS key. 99 keys have a chip in them, unlike previous 4th gens. This makes for problems with swapping ECUs between 99s. It's like an organ transplant: the person's body will reject the donor's organ as foreign and their immune system attacks it, LOL. So the issue here has nothing to do with a variable intake, which the 4th gen does not even have.

Go to page 10 here for detailed info on how the NVIS system works: http://www.snuvo.com/writing/nissan/nissan-sample1.pdf
Old 06-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Kevlo for President

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/fo...threadid=26291

OBD-I but good reading.

http://ecu.ztechz.net/
Old 06-09-2004, 08:44 AM

kevlo: this is mostly geared towards data-logging as most other information on the net is about, atleast regarding OBDI/II. As my senior project for my Bach Deg in Comp. Engr, I made a data logger which went one step further than OBD II. It didnt use the OBD port but captured the signals raw and stored them on a CF card and also able to real-time monitor all sensors via the USB port. I had planned to include OBDII in my project but two reasons didnt allow it:
1) Didnt have enough time
2) The cost to get the ISO standards from SAE was too much. Somewhere around 300-400 bucks.

With the help of the ELM323, data logging from the ECU via OBDII port is trivial.
What We are trying to achieve here is to modify the following:

1) Rev Limit
2) A/F mixture

Here are some screen shots and pictures of my senior project if anyones interested.

1) The gui: http://maxima.jatt.net/PICS/DA-RACE.png
2) The Arch: http://maxima.jatt.net/PICS/DA-RACE_arch.jpg

i have all of my schematics, source-code, documentation and can put it online if someone wants to build something like this for themselves. It is based off of a 8-bit 8051 derivative microcontroller and stores data on a CF card or a connected laptop.

On a side note, I will hopefully get my muffler in today. I can then spend some time on my car and install the alternator and muffler at the same time and then plug the ECU in and see if I can do something with it.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Masaccio
EDIT: sorry, didn't see the second page of this thread. Here's some info, though: NVIS stands for two things. Yes, it stands for Nissan Variable Induction System on the 5th gens. But in re a 99 ECU, we're talking about the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System. The NVIS will not allow the engine to start without the use of a registered NVIS key. 99 keys have a chip in them, unlike previous 4th gens. This makes for problems with swapping ECUs between 99s. It's like an organ transplant: the person's body will reject the donor's organ as foreign and their immune system attacks it, LOL. So the issue here has nothing to do with a variable intake, which the 4th gen does not even have.

Go to page 10 here for detailed info on how the NVIS system works: http://www.snuvo.com/writing/nissan/nissan-sample1.pdf

Here you go:
oh that kind of programming was possible in the 99 I30. I thought you were talking about flash programming the ecm engine control parameters. I totally forget about the NATS system thing. You have to have the dealer program it with consult. there is no way around it. nissan has done that to protect you from theft. the card used in the consult for key programming is only sold to dealers for their use as a security measure. If other shops where allowed to purchase those cards any one could get ahold of them. That would defeat the purpose of the anti theft device.
The above was found at http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/fo...threadid=49647
Old 06-11-2004, 10:15 AM

Could a Japanese literate .ORG member help me make sense of this page?

consult_analysys

Seems like it might have some useful information...
Old 06-12-2004, 08:13 AM

i read the pm you sent. deal sounds good. send me an e-mail for better commo.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Kevlo for President

Could a Japanese literate .ORG member help me make sense of this page?

consult_analysys

Seems like it might have some useful information...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

I am reading it right now.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:14 AM

At the risk of sounding super stupid, what about the data encoding? I thought you had to crack it to do this kind of reprogramming, and thats why the 98 and up ECUs were not getting worked on, because they were encoded with 32 bit protection up from 16 bit. Sorry if this is just way off... but you gotta learn somehow!
Old 06-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

free bump because your trying...
Old 06-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
At the risk of sounding super stupid, what about the data encoding? I thought you had to crack it to do this kind of reprogramming, and thats why the 98 and up ECUs were not getting worked on, because they were encoded with 32 bit protection up from 16 bit. Sorry if this is just way off... but you gotta learn somehow!
I am not aware of any Data Encoding or other data scrambeling mechanisms on these ECUs. As far as I know, the data is in raw format (plain HEX). The only protection that might exist would be a CRC check that would have to be corrected if we are ever able to successfuly get inside the ECUs memory and modify the data.

How/where did you come across the idea that there is some sort of protection involved? This may be the case but I have not come across any docs/notes/comments or other information which would lead me to believe that there is some sort of copy protection involved.

On a side note, Ive got all the parts for my CONSULT interface, this will let me read/dump the ECU memory. I was out partying all day/night yesterday (friend's wedding). I am hoping to get that circuit built today and hopefuly get some work done.

Is there anyone else working on this from this board? Anyone have a consult interface they could connect and post a dump of the memory?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Kevlo for President

I dout anyone on here has made a consult interface.
I don't think there is any protection on our ECU's either.
Let me know when you get the dump of hte memory, I would love to look at it.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:25 PM

Anyone know if it is possible to program an ECU via OBDII port? Or did nissan make the OBDII interface a read only interface?
i'm not sure but i saw a obdII reprogrammer from hypertech only for american cars and trucks but it may give you an idea how it works.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:34 PM

kevlo: this is mostly geared towards data-logging as most other information on the net is about, atleast regarding OBDI/II. As my senior project for my Bach Deg in Comp. Engr, I made a data logger which went one step further than OBD II. It didnt use the OBD port but captured the signals raw and stored them on a CF card and also able to real-time monitor all sensors via the USB port. I had planned to include OBDII in my project but two reasons didnt allow it:
1) Didnt have enough time
2) The cost to get the ISO standards from SAE was too much. Somewhere around 300-400 bucks.

With the help of the ELM323, data logging from the ECU via OBDII port is trivial.
What We are trying to achieve here is to modify the following:

1) Rev Limit
2) A/F mixture

Here are some screen shots and pictures of my senior project if anyones interested.

1) The gui: http://maxima.jatt.net/PICS/DA-RACE.png
2) The Arch: http://maxima.jatt.net/PICS/DA-RACE_arch.jpg

i have all of my schematics, source-code, documentation and can put it online if someone wants to build something like this for themselves. It is based off of a 8-bit 8051 derivative microcontroller and stores data on a CF card or a connected laptop.

On a side note, I will hopefully get my muffler in today. I can then spend some time on my car and install the alternator and muffler at the same time and then plug the ECU in and see if I can do something with it.
what you describe sounds similar to this product

CARCHIP™ E/X
Continuously logs under-the-hood and behind-the-wheel performance in 1996 and later American or imported vehicles
Easy Plug-and-Go installation
Perfect for home mechanics to monitor their vehicle's performance
A "must" for parents who want to monitor their teen's driving habits and lead-foot tendencies. Chip lets you view graphs showing a summary and detailed report for each trip.
It's easy!

Just locate your vehicle's OBD II connector (it's within 3 feet of the steering wheel)
Plug in the CarChip™ E/X and when light starts blinking the system is ready
Now, start driving!

The CarChip™ E/X immediately starts logging data.

Time, date and distance for each trip
Speed—logged every 5 seconds
Engine diagnostic trouble codes and status of other engine parameters when the code occurred
Idle time as well as time and date of chip installation or removal
Stores 300 hours of trip details

Measures up to 4 engine parameters every 5 to 60 seconds. Choose from 23 parameters including: RPM; throttle position; engine load; coolant temperature; intake manifold pressure; airflow rate; timing advance; fuel pressure; fuel system status; short-term and long-term fuel trim; oxygen sensor output voltage; battery voltage. Datalogger, software, download cable, AC adapter and more also included. Requirements: Windows 95 or above, one free serial port, 5MB of hard disk space and a CD-ROM drive. Easy instructions for data download to your PC are included.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...X&appId=410218
Old 06-13-2004, 04:03 PM

My project did not use the OBDII port to gather data. This feature had been planned but was never included in the final design. I was getting raw-unfiltered data from the same place ECU was getting it. In other words, I tapped into the sensor data inputs to the ECU. CARCHIP is very limited in its functionality. The rate of data capture was many magnitudes greater with many times more sensors enable than the carchip is capable of - a limit of the OBDII functionality I believe.

Kevlo: I assure you I will post the dump as soon as I get it.. Im about to solder all the parts together..
Old 06-13-2004, 06:36 PM

My project did not use the OBDII port to gather data. This feature had been planned but was never included in the final design. I was getting raw-unfiltered data from the same place ECU was getting it. In other words, I tapped into the sensor data inputs to the ECU. CARCHIP is very limited in its functionality. The rate of data capture was many magnitudes greater with many times more sensors enable than the carchip is capable of - a limit of the OBDII functionality I believe.

Kevlo: I assure you I will post the dump as soon as I get it.. Im about to solder all the parts together..
check your pm.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Ok. Still waiting on the ECU from ^above^. Ive been really busy at work and havnt had the time to work on my alternator. So the car is sitting dead. The car's in my garagewhich makes it hard to jump. Or...if I could connect a 12volt DC power adapter to my battery.... Now if I did this

1) Will the battery eventually charge like this?
2) With/without the battery - how many amps will be enough to get the ECU going?
3) Forget about this and just either jump or replace alternator.

Thanks..
Old 06-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Dang, dude, you are hardcore working on this. Props for such dedication. Let me know if I can do anything....I am an electrical dummy, so I doubt I would be of any help....but threw it out there nonetheless.

Bump.....
Old 06-17-2004, 05:02 PM
wat

Yea agree, you guys are showing some great dedication. Quite frankly, even if you guys got a temporary piggy back system that would raise the rev limiter, that would be awesome. Kind of like something you could raise the rev limiter for only when you need it.

ANYTHING accomplished would be better for us 99s.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:02 PM

i don't know if this helps or not sjust in case read this thread theres a few links that can be hepful
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=318684
Old 06-18-2004, 04:34 AM
Kevlo for President

Ok. Still waiting on the ECU from ^above^. Ive been really busy at work and havnt had the time to work on my alternator. So the car is sitting dead. The car's in my garagewhich makes it hard to jump. Or...if I could connect a 12volt DC power adapter to my battery.... Now if I did this

1) Will the battery eventually charge like this?
2) With/without the battery - how many amps will be enough to get the ECU going?
3) Forget about this and just either jump or replace alternator.

Thanks..

3.) Is what I would do. First get your car running and then worry about hte ECU.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:45 AM

3.) Is what I would do. First get your car running and then worry about hte ECU.
The car will eventually get done.. i have a second car to drive. I want to get in the ECU first so I can spend time, as well as other people, looking at the dump. But I took a day off today and I hopefuly will take care of all the things that I need to.. :-/

Quick Reply: The 98/99 ECU Thread