4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The 98/99 ECU Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:50 PM

Here is some more information,

I take it you have never really used an actual consult unit?
To answer your question about the 2 ports. The obdII port is not used by nissan. that port is simply a data stream for generic scan tools. You can not do anything with the ecm through that connector except read info.

The consult connector is what nissan uses to communicate with the ecm and send requests to have actuators perform a task. There is only one or 2 things you can semi perminantly set. one is target idle and the other is timing I believe.

What it sounds like you are seeing or screwing with is a function of the consult called function test and/or active test These particular functions allow you to adjust fuel injection up to 25% above and below the current alpha. Adjust timing up or down I think its 10 degrees, Adjust your idle air control valve through its full travel to change the amount of air its taking in. and a few other things. But when you exit that mode in consult it reverts to what it was or exits the test mode it was in. If you are doing this by other means it may just not be exiting the test stage untill the key is shut off which is what the consult does when the key is cycled. It exits what ever setting you had it at before you shut the key off and starts over once the key is turned back on.

from NISTECH

OH, I need some help with replacing the alternator, cant find the lower bolt....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....95#post3031195
Old 06-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Chassis Freak

98fiveSpeed is the MAN

When he finally gets a working modified ECU for 98/99s he will be GOD

Old 06-18-2004, 05:56 PM

Update:

Ok guys. Got my alternator replaced.. what an experience. As I said before, I had to bolt on a new muffler, Frankencar. I guess they shipped me the wrong muffler so I guess I need to send this back and tell em to send me one for the 1998 model. Is this exhaust queit? Anyone have this exhaust?

Now for the interesting stuff. I think there is something wrong with my consult circuit. The LM7805 is outputting 10V DC somehow.. it should be 8. The oscillator heats up when I turn the ignition on, So Im sure something funky is going on. Oh well back to the drawing board. Another problem is that I dont have a plug for the consult connector. The ghetto method I am using is to put some solder at the end of the wires so they will go into the plug. But the wires are a bit thinner than the holes on the consult plug. So I used toothpicks to stick the wires in. I know the ground and +12v are making contact because
I have power, but I cannot confirm the other three connections. Can someone help me locate a plug for the consult port? or maybe tell me what guage they are so I can go out and get some pins that will fit properly? i will also try to find this. Another thing I noticed was the lack of free software. Conzult, http://300zx-twinturbo.com/conzult/index.htm , the freeware version doesnt do what we need. I have the protocol and the command set, thanks to PL & MS. I will start work on software that will allow us to talk to our ecu.

More to follow..

*update* thought i'd post some useless pics..

Here is m consult interface plugged into the car. Nice blue...mmm...

I used some toothpicks to make sure the wires stay in.

Big picture overall...
Old 06-18-2004, 06:16 PM

I guess Im allowed to spam my own thread.. This is the picture of the exhaust I got from frankencar. My old muffler broke off when someone rear-ended me. The orignal exhaust was the POS stillen fart can. Nothings wrong with the stillen, I need the thing welded back on. But I dont want the stillen muffler to go back on my car. I hate that thing with a passion. I need a quiet exhaust that doesnt rob me of power. Look at the picutre, you can see the difference.. The pipe coming from the cat is much different than on the frankencar. I guess this is probably for the new maximas.. Anyways.. I need to build the consult interface and the software... ARGH#@$@#$ Someone wanna hook me up with the variable exhaust form the 2k's?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:54 PM
wat

Damn you are doing a great job. What ever you do, dont give up. You are giving us 98/99s some hope here.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:42 AM

98fivespeed im going to mail the ecu on monday 6/21 ive been very busy with work so i dont get to the post office in time.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxblackwind
98fivespeed im going to mail the ecu on monday 6/21 ive been very busy with work so i dont get to the post office in time.
Awright man sounds good!
Old 06-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
2000 ECUs are the same as 99s....so why?

Stillens "VQ Pro" piggyback ECU is scheduled to be out next month. I called them. I think thats the best bet for an ECU for 99s.

if the 99 and 2000 ecu are the same why not just use the modifed 2000 ecu then
Old 06-22-2004, 10:25 AM

bump it up to the top.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the bump but this thread's gonna stay quiet for a week or so while I wait on the parts from digikey... I am working on the software in the meantime...and waiting on the ecu from 98maxblackwind

I would love to see a 95/96 ecu insides. Could anyone take a high-def picture and post it? I want to compare or to our ecu and see what the differences are. Obviously there would be an external eeprom on the older ecu, but I want to see the chip differences. Since we dont have an eeprom for the ignition & fuel maps, there must be another way for the factory to go in and modify these values.. I do realize that the chips are custom stamped by UNISIA, but most I think it makes sense to target the same chip that has the eeprom connected to it. Im sure in the newer ECU's, the eeprom is internal to the MCU....what if the MCU is the same one that has the external eeprom connected to it in the older ECUs.. Anyhow, I am now in the hunt for an older ECU as well.

Anyone wanna donate an older ECU for the cause? Cuz since it does have an external eeprom, I am a 100% sure that I will be able to manipulate the maps. Comeone, someone hook me up with an older ECU and I will release everything I find into the public domain...

Anyone know of any junkyards in the bay area that I could pickup a ecu for cheap? I would like it to be a 95/96 5 speed so I can test it out...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:44 AM
Kevlo for President

www.car-part.com
Old 06-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Bump it up............
Old 06-29-2004, 10:33 PM

sorry has not shipped ive been in the hospital.(army injury)
Old 06-30-2004, 07:21 AM

Everything okay, man?
Hope you are all right?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:15 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Just lending my support for the thread and your injury. I am avidly reading this, but genuinely don't know enough about electronics to contribute. If a time comes when there's something I can do to help, I certainly will.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Everything okay, man?
Hope you are all right?
6 years as an army truck driver + degenerative disc + pinched siatic nerve + drill through spinal cord to fix + constant back spasams triggering pinched nerve = PAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!!!! AND IM ONLY 28!!!!

sorry i had to vent.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 PM

been 7 days waiting and crossing fingures
Old 07-01-2004, 10:10 AM

update

Ok. Got all my parts for the consult and built it. Connected it to my car with the ghetto method of sticking wooden toothpics so make the wires stay in the consult port. The power LED comes on, so things look good.

I tried talking to the ECU via the freeware ConZult but had no luck. I should have expected this because ConZult will only recognize 300zx ECU's. This recognizition is done when communication is initially established. According to the PLMS documents:

The ECU will not communicate until a valid hex initialization string message is detected.. 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xEF
After communication is established, I believe (after reading on some forums) that the ConZult will get the ECU TYPE ID. If that matches the ECU TYPE ID for the 300zx ECU's, then the program will proceed, otherwise it will fail. So we simply cannot use the freeware ConZult without modifications.

The platform I was using was a Windows 2003 Server and it seems it no-longer comes with a terminal emulator such as HyperTerminal. Either that or I did not install it with the OS. So I could not test any further. I have downloaded a better terminal and will try again asap. As I said last week, I did start work on my own version of the software to talk to the ECU. I've not had the chance to write a lot of code because most of my time was spent trying to find a C# .Net library that I could use to communicate via the serial port. I have a good library and everything I need so the work on the software has begun....

As soon as I get a chance to talk to my ECU via consult over the serial port, I will post here ASAP because that is the biggest milestone that we need to hit.

So there, thats the current status of this project.

*98maxblackwind* - sorry to hear about the crap ur going thru man.. Hope you get well soon! I cant wait to get my hands on the ECU though.. it would really speed up the development of my software if I have a spair ECU that I power up in my cube.

P.S. anyone have any educational links about rev limits? What are the things involved? Risks? I want information on all aspects such as machanics, electronics, physics, etc. For educational purposes.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Good work, man....
Thanks for all you are doing...
Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxblackwind
6 years as an army truck driver + degenerative disc + pinched siatic nerve + drill through spinal cord to fix + constant back spasams triggering pinched nerve = PAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!!!! AND IM ONLY 28!!!!

sorry i had to vent.
yeah, I am 24 and when my back falls out of whack sometimes(I cannot find out why it does it)....it pinches my sciatic nerve. I have broken my arm earlier this year, and that was painful, but I think that pinched nerve pain is probably worse. I feel your pain, man, and I wish you the best.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM

man u cant get worse than a pinched nerve. My back is out too, from working on the car all hunched over.

At 26, need extended warranty.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:23 AM

ha ha ha...I wish...ha ha
Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

FYI if you guys didn't see this...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=323197

I have an email in to them.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:00 PM

Ok, so heres whats going on...

As per, Consult_Protocol_&_Commands_Issue_6.pdf from PLMS, I tried talking to the ECU by trying to wake it up:

1.5. Initialization String. The ECU will not communicate until a valid hex
initialization string message is detected.. (0xff)(0xff)(0xef) must be sent at the
correct baud rate with the clock present on the ECU clock pin.
Once Initialized the ECU responds with (0x10), it is then ready for commands.
So I send 0xff 0xff 0xef and nothing happens. Tried a few times with various different terminal programs. ECU will not respond. It is really surprising that there arnt many terminal programs out there, and those that exist dont like to communicate in hex. Or more precicely sending hex isnt widely supported. Finally found a program which would let me send hex bytes via macros. ECU still wouldnt respond. So Im stuck at this point. Do you think this ECU will wake up to a different init string? Does this ECU conform to CONSULT I or II? That we should try to find out. Since it is three bytes, I guess trying to brute force shouldnt be too hard. I will try to write a program to try and find the magic string.

Will let you guys know if I figure anything out I guess..
Old 07-07-2004, 09:01 PM

as an update on the Unchip being used in a Maxima, talked to Eric at Grossman Tuning today, and he said with installation, and dyno tuning, the cost would be around $1000 dollars. 1000 dollars..siGh..for an ecu piggyback, is pretty ******* obsurd, but hey, I guess its cheaper than the AEM, those are around 1200 for that programmable unit, without dyno tuning( I think, I could be wrong)So my attempts failed I guess:/
Old 07-07-2004, 09:31 PM

Extremely sorry for being off topic here, but...I have a questionaire that I alone can answer...

Q-What is the point of an ECU upgrade?

A-To have more available options to produce MORE HP!! (MEVI?)

So right now many of us, MOST of us, are running on OPEN DIFFERENTIALS.
Now the Maxima pulls pretty hard stock, considering it's putting most drive power upon ONE of its two fronts. If it were able to ditribute this power equally to both wheels then imagine the launching gains to be had, combined with an ECU...Think about that!

www.KAAZUSA.com

Check out the GD going on with this.
Thanks.

Good work on the research being done on the much needed ECU.
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by Maximeltman; 08-31-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

Hey man by far you have shown more dedication and interest in this than anyone else who tried before you, very impressed. I go to itt tech and take ceet right now. Im not that far into the program to understand everything you have done but its coming in nice and clear. If you have any wiring problems or board problems let me know, im pretty good at that kinda stuff. Also with voltage trasnfers and electric currents.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Kevlo for President

http://www.topshareware.com/RS232-He...sfer-12308.htm

Try that software.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:12 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Something tells me you're running into the same problems that people before you did. Nothing wants to work with our DAMN ECUs. Keep up the search.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:09 AM
be the change u want2C

free Bump, I wanna see what happens. This thread should be stickied!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=98fiveSpeed...Since it is three bytes, I guess trying to brute force shouldnt be too hard. I will try to write a program to try and find the magic string.

Will let you guys know if I figure anything out I guess..[/QUOTE]

Ok, I wrote the program I mentioned. I've written some notes in my wiki, if you are interested then please check it out here:
http://maxima.jatt.net/index.php?pag...iki&file=index

You can download the source and binary here: http://maxima.jatt.net/MaxTalk2/

I cannot wait to test this program out. I will try to test this evening when I get home but cannot make any promises.. a lot of **** going on so dont have much time left by the time I get home.

If anyone has a freeware consult then please try it out and see if u can get the ECU to respond. This is our next milestone & we cannot proceed until we conquor it.

The logic behind my program is simple. I send three bytes and wait for the ECU to respond, if nothing happens then I increment and try. This goes on until I run out of all possible combinations or the ECU reponds with something. If the ECU responds then I print the appropriate message and halt the program. PLEASE let us know if you get the ECU to respond.

Good Luck.

*I've tested this using a loopback driver between two virtual comm ports on the same computer. Any help in further testing would be really appreciated.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:07 PM

Anyone have a 96 or older MAX that we can try communicating with? I was looking at the nProbe website and they mention that they have problems with 98+ maximas. I emailed them and they said that they couldnt deal with 98+ maximas due to their hardware limitations. They wouldn't give me any additional information.

That aside, I would like to test my stuff out with a 96 or older maxima and see what happens. If anyone lives around Fremont, California then maybe we can hookup for an hour or so? There will be no modifcations to ur car or ECU. Just want to connect wires and see if the ECU responds. Either post here or pm me.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 98fiveSpeed
Anyone have a 96 or older MAX that we can try communicating with? I was looking at the nProbe website and they mention that they have problems with 98+ maximas. I emailed them and they said that they couldnt deal with 98+ maximas due to their hardware limitations. They wouldn't give me any additional information.

That aside, I would like to test my stuff out with a 96 or older maxima and see what happens. If anyone lives around Fremont, California then maybe we can hookup for an hour or so? There will be no modifcations to ur car or ECU. Just want to connect wires and see if the ECU responds. Either post here or pm me.

Thanks.
Hi

This thread caught my eye cause im working on the same thing...

However cause of other projects for my Maximas and my work I have yet to spend time building the generic Nissan consult interface. Time for me to hurry up and get on the ball. My only problem is software, I hate working on computer software. My area of expertise is mostly in electronics hardware, not software.

Needless to say your way ahead of me, keep up the good work. Im thinking I can still build my own consult interface and I can test it out on my 96 and my 98 to see if there is any difference.

Also not sound like an a$$, but are you able to test your board and do you know if it is actually sending and receiving info from the ECU?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Hi

This thread caught my eye cause im working on the same thing...

However cause of other projects for my Maximas and my work I have yet to spend time building the generic Nissan consult interface. Time for me to hurry up and get on the ball. My only problem is software, I hate working on computer software. My area of expertise is mostly in electronics hardware, not software.

Needless to say your way ahead of me, keep up the good work. Im thinking I can still build my own consult interface and I can test it out on my 96 and my 98 to see if there is any difference.

Also not sound like an a$$, but are you able to test your board and do you know if it is actually sending and receiving info from the ECU?
Right on.

I've built a total of three interfaces so far. The first two I built using all kinds of different parts from a local shop, http://www.halted.com/store/index.html
Neither worked out too well because the components were different, so I just spent the 30 bucks and ordered every single part from digikey. The PCB was ordered from zcontrol.net I've checked all connections. they look good. I will do a continuity test on all the components. I also just picked up a Logic Probe.. so i should be able to verify if the board is correct or not. I am certain that I will not find anything. I bet this ECU is a bastard and will not cooperate. Read my earlier post about nProbe, consult interface for 500 bucks. nProbe works on everything but the 98/99 Maximas.

My only problem is software, I hate working on computer software. My area of expertise is mostly in electronics hardware, not software.
My expertise is also in hardware. Software was a necessity. Lets just try and get the ECU to respond somehow... Don't worry about the software, I can code whatever we need.

Anyhow, I hope u build the interface, You dont have to order the PCB, I have the schematic, and its pretty simple. DigiKey delivers very quick
Old 07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Right on.

I've built a total of three interfaces so far. The first two I built using all kinds of different parts from a local shop, http://www.halted.com/store/index.html
Neither worked out too well because the components were different, so I just spent the 30 bucks and ordered every single part from digikey. The PCB was ordered from zcontrol.net I've checked all connections. they look good. I will do a continuity test on all the components. I also just picked up a Logic Probe.. so i should be able to verify if the board is correct or not. I am certain that I will not find anything. I bet this ECU is a bastard and will not cooperate. Read my earlier post about nProbe, consult interface for 500 bucks. nProbe works on everything but the 98/99 Maximas.

My expertise is also in hardware. Software was a necessity. Lets just try and get the ECU to respond somehow... Don't worry about the software, I can code whatever we need.

Anyhow, I hope u build the interface, You dont have to order the PCB, I have the schematic, and its pretty simple. DigiKey delivers very quick
Yeah I will hit up Digikey and order those parts soon, if you have the part #s that would also help me quicker. I got the schematic and data register info a long time ago and put it on the back burner so to speak. All in all it seems like a very simple circuit to build.

If you want to eliminate the toothpick ghetto mod you can hard wire to your ECU for a direct connection. Also I have the entire A32 FSM on a data file if you want, it gives the entire pinout of the ECU and what each wire's purpose is.

Now it seems we just need the software key to get the damn 98/99 ECUs to talk and dump there data. Or failing that break into a Nissan dealership and steal a Consult-2 system.

At any rate if you want to chat im on AOL alot under the screen name Jnotofthisworld.

Edit : I know im being annoying now. But I was wondering why your 7805 reg is putting out 8VDC? From my understanding the 7805 is a fixed 5V regulator.

- Joe
Old 07-09-2004, 06:54 PM

Yeah I will hit up Digikey and order those parts soon, if you have the part #s that would also help me quicker. I got the schematic and data register info a long time ago and put it on the back burner so to speak. All in all it seems like a very simple circuit to build.

If you want to eliminate the toothpick ghetto mod you can hard wire to your ECU for a direct connection. Also I have the entire A32 FSM on a data file if you want, it gives the entire pinout of the ECU and what each wire's purpose is.

Now it seems we just need the software key to get the damn 98/99 ECUs to talk and dump there data. Or failing that break into a Nissan dealership and steal a Consult-2 system.

At any rate if you want to chat im on AOL alot under the screen name Jnotofthisworld.

- Joe
Yeah I was thinking of doing that. But Why mess with the ECU at all if you dont have to? Now if I had an extra ECU to experiment on.. *COUGH*

well anyways, the connector is there. I just have to find the right guage pins that will fit in there properly. That way I can the consult into any car..

Thanks for offering the FSM, someone already hooked me up.

The schematic that Im talking about is a bit different than the one you probably have. It uses parts widely available here. I used this because it is verified by a quiet a few 300zx owners, so if it works for them-it should work for us..

If all we need is the software key then that should be easy. Its only 3 bytes. How long can that possibly take at 9600bps with 100ms delays to wait for the ECU to respond...

Now if this model does use the Consult-2 then we are in trouble. We dont know JACK about consult-2. In that case anyone wanna hook us up and break into a dealership? j/k
Old 07-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Yeah I was thinking of doing that. But Why mess with the ECU at all if you dont have to? Now if I had an extra ECU to experiment on.. *COUGH*

well anyways, the connector is there. I just have to find the right guage pins that will fit in there properly. That way I can the consult into any car..

Thanks for offering the FSM, someone already hooked me up.

The schematic that Im talking about is a bit different than the one you probably have. It uses parts widely available here. I used this because it is verified by a quiet a few 300zx owners, so if it works for them-it should work for us..

If all we need is the software key then that should be easy. Its only 3 bytes. How long can that possibly take at 9600bps with 100ms delays to wait for the ECU to respond...

Now if this model does use the Consult-2 then we are in trouble. We dont know JACK about consult-2. In that case anyone wanna hook us up and break into a dealership? j/k
Ok if the ECU by itself works thats great, much easier that way.

Anyways the schematic I have is the same one you posted on your site. I got it off another org member a little while back.

And not to be negative but IIRC all '96 and newer Nissans are Consult-2 (with a few possible exceptions). It was part of the upgrade they did when the OBD-2 standards were put into effect.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:10 PM

And not to be negative but IIRC all '96 and newer Nissans are Consult-2 (with a few possible exceptions). It was part of the upgrade they did when the OBD-2 standards were put into effect.
crap.. thats what I had feared. What I was working off of must be all Consult-I research. So we need to find some information on Consult-2. Do you know what the differences are? Any links?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

crap.. thats what I had feared. What I was working off of must be all Consult-I research. So we need to find some information on Consult-2. Do you know what the differences are? Any links?
Sorry about the bad news...

Now that I think about it the 98 and newer Nissans are definitly Consult-2. This is most likely the reason that company couldn't get their consult system to work on 98/99s, there isnt any info on it or its all encrypted by Nissan.

And to make things worse Consult-2 systems are only avaiable to authorized Nissan dealerships. Im really starting to think I should just get a repair tech job at some Nissan place and steal or hack their Consult-2 system.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:42 PM

dude all we need is to spy on the communication between the ecu and the consult system. once we have that then we can sit and analyze the log to see what happened and try to reverse it..

I can do the spying, but how can I make a dealer use the consult scanner for something on my car? You think I can just go and say "Hey, can u scan my car?" :-/

Quick Reply: The 98/99 ECU Thread