4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car smells a lil gassy at startup, is this normal???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 08:20 PM

car smells a lil gassy at startup, is this normal???

jus started noticing this a couple days ago, car smells a gassy like its leaking fuel or something. i just wanted to know if this is normal. my friend said its the hot temperature that makes the exhaust smell more he is an idiot and not sure if he is right or not. after about 10 mins when engine gets warmed up the smell is kinda gone but still there slightly.

also when ever i accelerate hard like from a stop and gun it to like 65-70 and i come to a stop the engine smells like a faint burning smell, sorta like a hot metal smell. its not to strong but i notice it now after i got my y-pipe and UDP installed. this smells nothing like it did when the car was stock and i realize the engine does get hot and will have a slight odor, but this smells nothing like it used to. it doesnt smell like burned ruber or any fluids...its hard to describe but it smells like hot metal let me know what you guys think

p.s. car drives well with no serious problems
Old 06-06-2004, 10:48 PM

had same problem with my car when i started it up..when it was cool outside..and when not cool it would start up fine and no smell..
Old 06-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Magikone69
...car smells a gassy like its leaking fuel or something....

Did it have beans for dinner?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:49 AM

Ha ha ha, nice bluemaxdriver4, this is normal unless you actually have a fuel leak or exhaust leak somewhere.....I have the same problem sometimes but usually let the 'ol Max warm up for like 2 min before driving around.....try letting your car warm up first and see if that helps....check you driveway or paking place to see if there are any leaks too....never know...
Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 AM

how long ago did you get the y-pipe on? i'm pretty sure that exhaust parts are coated in something and it takes a little to burn off and makes an awful smell...it's at least like that with the new cars that i drive at work. they smoke like none other and smell real bad because of the coating on the exhaust.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by A32Matt
how long ago did you get the y-pipe on? i'm pretty sure that exhaust parts are coated in something and it takes a little to burn off and makes an awful smell...it's at least like that with the new cars that i drive at work. they smoke like none other and smell real bad because of the coating on the exhaust.
this might be it. i had the y and dynomax exhaust on for maybe a month or so, give or take. i had the car in neutral and was revving it for a couple secs and quickly ran outside and i smelled the gassy smell again. i hope its nothing serious. my friend has me scared saying its a blown head gasket and s#it. please let me know if it is something serious. the car smells like its running super rich.

new fuel filter, air filter, plugs and other maintainance items were placed within the last 6 months and i have 0 codes
Old 06-07-2004, 06:12 PM

I have no codes either and have wsp y and dynomax just put on a couple weeks ago. My gas smell is still pretty strong. I even go on long trips every weekend (400+ miles round trip) It has gotten better a little, it used to be VERY strong when I first got it. If you haven't been on any real long trips, it probably hasn't had enough time to burn off all the coatings and crap.

I wouldn't sweat it if you aren't throwing any codes.

drew
Old 06-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Even a fresh exhaust system smells like crap. The flowmaster smelled really bad for 2 days.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:17 PM

but the thing is i didnt smell anything at all when i first got the stuff installed i just started smelling this a couple days ago. and just a while ago on my way home i had a lil run from 0-80 to test it out and it smelled so strong and like a burning smell i had to open the windows up. im going to a mechanic to get an oil change cause its been a while since the synthetic was put in. and hopefully he may be able to check everything out
Old 06-07-2004, 08:53 PM

i noticed that whenever i get out of my car there used to be a burning smell. its not as bad anymore tho. i was thinking it was because i changed the oil to synthetic
Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 PM

ive been using syn for 3 years now and never had any problems. i always put that engine/oil flush in right before oil change, and i usually change the mobil 1 syn every 6,000 miles although its been more like 8,000 miles since my last change. i also put some seafoam in te crank case and was told dont drive more than 1,000 miles with it in the oil since it wears the oil out very fast. ive had the seafoam in for maybe 1700 miles.

oil change is on the way and i will see if that solves the problem.

anny other suggestions guys. i looked at my exhaust and i can see no signs of wear on my exhaust or cat or muffler.