4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rats in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:09 AM

rats in the dash?

I just bought a 96 Maxima with 104000 miles. After driving it about 30 miles it started to have a noise from inside the dash or from the fire wall. It sounds like rats in the dash. The noise is very hard to duplicate but usually happens while decelerating and turning to the right. I took the car for a drive last night and after about 15 miles the trip meter and odometer stopped although the speedometer still works. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:17 AM

yea run....
Old 06-09-2004, 12:24 PM

I going to go out on a limb and suy you need to be a little more discriptive
Old 06-09-2004, 01:27 PM
UCF Lexus

Old 06-09-2004, 01:30 PM

thats f*cked up.............
Old 06-09-2004, 01:33 PM

I guess since the only thing I know for sure is that the speedo works and the trip meter and odometer do not, I am looking for anyone that has had speedo problems. As for the rats in the dash I am assuming at this point, that is related to the cable or a gear inside the speedo. What is the best way to get too the cable or the back of the gauges?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mitchythekid
I guess since the only thing I know for sure is that the speedo works and the trip meter and odometer do not, I am looking for anyone that has had speedo problems. As for the rats in the dash I am assuming at this point, that is related to the cable or a gear inside the speedo. What is the best way to get too the cable or the back of the gauges?
Do you get the noise when the ventilation sys. fan is on low speed? Is the noise near the passenger's feet? It may be the blower, which is notorously cheap and noisy within 12 mos. of being replaced.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:23 PM

I have this "creaking" noise similiar to how stepping on old wood would sound. It comes from either inside my center a/c vents or my climate conteol somehwere behind there.. Without the radio on it sounds very irratating. and I have no clue how it could be fixed cause my car is in great shape but its 9 yrs old..
Old 06-10-2004, 07:08 AM

It sounds like it is comming from behind the gauges or the firewall on the drivers side. It makes the noise with the ventilation system off.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:22 AM

I dunno if this will help, but I used to have a noise that sounded like a computer hard rrive operating, youknow that creeking sound that computers do? Well anyways, It was pretty loud and annoying especially at idle. Anyway, I cleaned the throttle body one day and to my surprise it took car of the weird noise. itr has yet to return. You have nothing to lose. YOu have to do it anyway with your mileage. good luck
Old 06-11-2004, 03:05 PM

i had a squeking noise...like metal on metal coming from my dash, i got fed up one day and started tearing everything apart, come to find out it was the metal bracket that holds in the top of the instrument cluster, the screws on the dash (not the cluster) had backed out, they go in from the front of the car. maybe the same thing?
Old 06-11-2004, 03:17 PM

i seriously think i have the same thing. ive never asked anyone about it on a forum because i cant describe it. it comes on after ive been driving a bit and when i decelerate and turn to the right its worse or if i hit a bump. its the worst on the highway. i cant tell exactly where its comming from but it sounds like under the dash somewhere. my car is a 99 ive had for about 15k miles and its been doing this for the last 5 or 6k miles. its so annoying. ive had some people listen to it and noone can diagnose it.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:20 PM

the noise is unrelated to any kind of air conditioning fan etc. its unaffected by cruse control and radio as well. ive played around a lot trying to figure out what it is. the strange thing is that you have to drive around a bit before it starts and the steering does affect it. if the highway starts bending to the right than the noise gets worse, but if it bends to the left it stops. tell me if this sounds like what you have!
Old 06-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mitchythekid

All the information sent to the gauge cluster is by electronic connection. There are no speedo or tach cables back there.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

don't think it's actually in your dash...it might be coming from passenger suspension...like springs need to be re-wrapped or you need a new strut bearing
Old 06-11-2004, 05:27 PM

I dont know about your noise but did you run a carfax on that car? I'm asking because my moms trip odo stopped working and we found out the mileage had been messed with. Then again it was a mercedes, not a nissan but I would still have that checked out.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dude, get used to it. if you ever do your suspension...forget 'bout it. believe me, that sh*t drives me insane too. There were a couple occasions where i almost departed my lane cause I was trying to locate the origin of the rattling. Eventually after weeks of investigating I would locate the source and fix it but sure enough a new one would pop up in a matter of days. NVH issues in a high mileage car is inevitable especially if it has a modified suspension. just turn up your stereo!
Old 06-12-2004, 05:01 AM
BOSS

Originally Posted by 99se5spd
i had a squeking noise...like metal on metal coming from my dash, i got fed up one day and started tearing everything apart, come to find out it was the metal bracket that holds in the top of the instrument cluster, the screws on the dash (not the cluster) had backed out, they go in from the front of the car. maybe the same thing?
OMG, I have the same thing, can you please elaborate more on where the screws are and how to get to them? Is there a lot of take off? What, according to you, is the instrument cluster? How long will this take?

I too hear squeking metal type of noise coming from my dash
Thanks

Old 06-12-2004, 08:27 AM

the metal/metal squeking noise seemed like it was coming from the steering column or below, i found that if you push the top of the steering wheel towards the dash it goes away or becomes quiet, also its more pronounced the colder it is, or when the a/c is on. anyway i define the instrument cluster as all the gauges and the surround. to remove first remove the steering column covers there are about 4? screws on the bottom side than you have to work it a little to get it out, than pop out all the switches on the bezel (cruse conrol,alarm led, dimmer switch, and blank) than take out 2 philips screws on the bottom side of the cluster "hood" than using a putty knife or something like that pry carefully on the bottom (right below the cruise switch and dimmer switch) once you get the bezel out there is a screw on the bottom left and bottom right of the cluster (im trying to remember if you have to take those out before you can remove the bezel, if you do just use a long screwdriver and get them out throught the holes wehre the switches were), than one more screw on the top center of the cluster, pull the cluster aside and the metal brakcet on the top center is the one that squeks, there are 2 screws going in the backside (from the firewall towards the driver) use a stubby philips to tighten those up, thats it and ive had no more noises. this shouldnt take more than 3o mins to do. good luck