4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brake light on!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:09 AM

brake light on!!

hey all
Just want to know how to trouble shoot the damn brake light. It stays on at all times now( in the cluster). It used to flicker before but now it is on all the time and it is gettin annoying. Anyone ever have this problem? I believe it is a sensor, I am mechanically incline but when it comes down to sensors/ electrical, I am as dumb as an ox. no offense to the ox. any advise?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Check your brake fluid - its low.... top it up and the light will turn off.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:14 AM

nope ...not that. brake fluid is full.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Do I get a tax break?

hmm... try jiggling the parking brake up/down/left/right and see if that makes any difference... maybe the parking brake switch is stuck...
Old 06-29-2004, 09:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Is it the brake light or ABS? Anytime my brake light is on is when the fluid is low, or I didnt fully release the Prkng brake. Dont know what to tell ya
Old 06-29-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by maxlinegtr
hey all
Just want to know how to trouble shoot the damn brake light. It stays on at all times now( in the cluster). It used to flicker before but now it is on all the time and it is gettin annoying. Anyone ever have this problem? I believe it is a sensor, I am mechanically incline but when it comes down to sensors/ electrical, I am as dumb as an ox. no offense to the ox. any advise?

Maybe the pedal is slightly touching the brake pedal switch..check the brake pedal switch.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I Don't think the brake pedal light switch has anything to do with this... in fact, the brake pedal SHOULD be contacting the switch down there until you press the brakes - it actually works opposite to what we would guess.. i.e. the switch is open when pressed and closes (thus completing the brake light circuit) when you press the pedal (sping loaded switch).

The dashboard brake light normally (i.e not including electronic malfunctions, wiring shorts etc). lights up for the following reasons:

1. low brake fluid
2. parking brake switch engaged
3. Bad alternator (but Battery light may/should also light up in this case).
Old 06-29-2004, 09:28 AM
V^___^V

could be the brake lines. i had similar problem even though my brake fluids were full, but i noticed small leackage coming from my rear brake lines cuz my progress RSB's bracket was rubbing the brake lines, causing small leackage. after i replace the brake lines, the brake light disappear.

hopefully that help.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:55 AM

I think it might be the sensor....from the e-brake cuz when it used to flicker on and off before, I would pull on the e brake and it wouldn't even light up...where would this sensor be?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

i'm having the same problem, except it randomly comes on and off. I figured it was the e-brake sensor, but also had the suspicion that (like the O/D light flashing) it was meant to warn of something else.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Do I get a tax break?

The e-brake switch should be mounted near the e-brake - such that pulling/releasing the e-brake should toggle the switch...- pull the center console and look under there... should be easy enough to find/replace.

fearthegecko - you made sure your brake fluid was not low right? since thats the #1 reason for the "random" on/off.. what actually happens is that when you go around a corner, the fluid moves to one side of the reservior tripping the sensor... this only happens if you are low on fluid though...
Old 07-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally Posted by njmodi
The e-brake switch should be mounted near the e-brake - such that pulling/releasing the e-brake should toggle the switch...- pull the center console and look under there... should be easy enough to find/replace.

fearthegecko - you made sure your brake fluid was not low right? since thats the #1 reason for the "random" on/off.. what actually happens is that when you go around a corner, the fluid moves to one side of the reservior tripping the sensor... this only happens if you are low on fluid though...

No, that's what i was saying, that i had low fluid. I refilled it, and the light works the way it should now.

The only thing i'm concerned about now is what caused me to lose brake fluid in the first place.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
No, that's what i was saying, that i had low fluid. I refilled it, and the light works the way it should now.

The only thing i'm concerned about now is what caused me to lose brake fluid in the first place.
Other than the obvious cause for low fluid (a leak), the more likely reason is that as your pads wear, more fluid is needed to fill the brake system/pistons in the calipers... this results in a lower fluid level in the reservoir. Usually it is worthwhile to check the front and rear pads to see if they need replacement when your fluid is low.