4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car seems a bit sluggish...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:12 AM

Car seems a bit sluggish...

Car isn't EXTREMELY sluggish, but it seems like the throttle is slighty
hesitant compared to some other vehicles I drove this weekend. I drove a Jeep Liberty and a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L. I never really noticed the hesitation with my car ('97 VQ30DE), but now that I drove those I can feel it. It's kinda like the throttle has a slow reaction... if I hit the throttle it delays ever so slightly and when I let off the gas its the same way. These newer vehicles had instant throttle response.

I cleaned the throttle body and the air filter is fairly new (5
months). I use 91 octane and up as well as a Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic oil change about 2k miles ago. I'm not sure about the spark plugs.. would I be able to determine if they need replacement by doing a visual inspection? What else would cause my car to seem a little delayed?

My own thoughts so far:
1. Possibly spark plugs because I have no idea the last time they were changed (car has 114k now and there are no records indicating whether or not the prev. owner changed plugs)
2. Clean the MAF sensor? How do I do this?
3. Make adjustments to the throttle cable?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not 100% on your questions but I have a similar situation, my 95 has 130k mi. now and I have recently noticed some stuttering. I have decided to perform my own 60k mi. service since I have put 34k mi. on it and have no idea how long b4 that it was done. If you want I will post results afterwards however don't hold your breathe it may be a couple weeks (going outta town this weekend). From what I've seen I'm gonna change spark plugs, oil change, fuel filter change, wiper blades, etc.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Colossus
Car isn't EXTREMELY sluggish, but it seems like the throttle is slighty
hesitant compared to some other vehicles I drove this weekend. I drove a Jeep Liberty and a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L. I never really noticed the hesitation with my car ('97 VQ30DE), but now that I drove those I can feel it. It's kinda like the throttle has a slow reaction... if I hit the throttle it delays ever so slightly and when I let off the gas its the same way. These newer vehicles had instant throttle response.

I cleaned the throttle body and the air filter is fairly new (5
months). I use 91 octane and up as well as a Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic oil change about 2k miles ago. I'm not sure about the spark plugs.. would I be able to determine if they need replacement by doing a visual inspection? What else would cause my car to seem a little delayed?

My own thoughts so far:
1. Possibly spark plugs because I have no idea the last time they were changed (car has 114k now and there are no records indicating whether or not the prev. owner changed plugs)
2. Clean the MAF sensor? How do I do this?
3. Make adjustments to the throttle cable?
I think it's normal on the 4th gen. with high milage to have a bit of hesitation. But with that said, since you have no idea when the plugs where changed, you should inspect/change them and see if they help. I just recently changed mine (with oem platinums) and to me, if feels a bit better (maybe it's a mental thing). I would also change the fuel filter to see if this helps if you haven't done so recently. Change it with the 300z filter, which is wider so it'll last you a bit longer between intervals. You can check your throttle cable to see if it's very loose and adjust it but be careful not to tighten it too much. It needs some slack in it. I have found this helps too. Lastly, put in a bottle of tecktron (sp?) and I'm sure you'll feel a big difference.

Oh yeah, make sure you don't have any codes. If your knock sensor is bad, your car will be running very sluggish (this is what I've been told, I haven't had a problem with my KS yet).
Old 07-22-2004, 08:02 AM
V^___^V

clean ur intake filter w/ K&N recharger kit and tigthen ur throttle cable.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:33 AM

Ok, I'll take a look at the spark plugs and the other things.

One question... when you talk about "throwing codes" are you talking about the CEL coming on? My CEL is off.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:44 AM

Im a sucker for marketing, and my car has been feeling sluggish too at 110k, so I filled up with that new gas from shell. It called V-power and its 93 octance, and either its in my own head or that **** actually did work and helped rid of the hesitation between 2k-3k rpms. So next time if you can Find a shell do your car a favor and give her a tank of the stuff and see what you think.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
Im a sucker for marketing, and my car has been feeling sluggish too at 110k, so I filled up with that new gas from shell. It called V-power and its 93 octance, and either its in my own head or that **** actually did work and helped rid of the hesitation between 2k-3k rpms. So next time if you can Find a shell do your car a favor and give her a tank of the stuff and see what you think.
That techtron stuff I talked about will do more for you than just filling up your tank at Shell. I guess it won't hurt to do both.

As for the codes, the KS would sometimes go bad without a CEL coming on.