4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-pipe install was terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:18 PM

Y-pipe install was terrible!

Yea so I finally put on my budget y-pipe. I love the extra boost but the install made me crazy. It seriously took me 3 days (obviously not 24/7). First of all the stocker was a pain in butt to take off. 4 of the 6 nuts came off fairly easy from the front two pipes but 2 nuts came out with the whole bolt from the manifold. One of them stripped the bolt hole so I had to use some sort of threading tool my brother had to get a new bolt on. The o2 sensors decided not to budge either. I highly, highly suggest you go to an exhaust shop to replace the two bolts on the cat. I didn't at first and I paid for it. I had to cut the rust welded bolt but it still wouldn't get off. finally I took it to a shop to replace the bolt. One place I asked said $40. I was like h#ll no. I went to another that charged me $15. Still too much IMO but still cheaper than the first.

Ok so its on. Im not very impressed, mainly because of the sound. I have HAI, y-pipe, custom 2.5 inch resonated b, magnaflow ss (str8 through) muffler. With just I/E it sounded ok. It had a low buzz sometimes and wasn't very loud. Now with I/Y/E, it went to h3ll. It buzzes, makes a loud gahhhhhhhhh noise, and now my friggin b-pipe is tapping. Oh well, live and learn. Power is good though.

THanks for reading
Old 07-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Hooooooonda.....

What do you expect with a POS magnaflow muffler, those things sound like poop at high RPMs.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Jacked Up off MountainDew

look into apex jump off. or greddy sp wit stock resonator still on i heard sounds good still
Old 07-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Old Maxima Legend

man sounds like a rough few days ! well the max should be faster now but at the expense of the noise. i have the magnaflow racing series muffler which probably sounds worse than street series! but never liked the way it sounded. got a cattman catback on the way ! as for as the MF muffler im putting it up for sale, i have paid my dues, lol !

good luck !
Old 07-27-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by I_EaT_RiCe_ErZ
I highly, highly suggest you go to an exhaust shop to replace the two bolts on the cat. I didn't at first and I paid for it. I had to cut the rust welded bolt but it still wouldn't get off. finally I took it to a shop to replace the bolt. One place I asked said $40. I was like h#ll no. I went to another that charged me $15. Still too much IMO but still cheaper than the first.
My mechanic charged me $130 for removing those bolts, when I was expecting to pay $20 max... I was shocked when I got the bill, didn't pay it yet either. So be damn happy with the $15. Good luck with it all.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Old Maxima Legend

maybe there is an advantage to living in poor old mississippi ? lol ! the exhaust shop here charged 60 dollars for ypipe, bpipe, and muffler install.

i have been to the place countless times messing with things because its so cheap.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:17 PM

Damn you're lucky. I'd be lucky to find a shop around here (Boston area) to install for less than $150.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by R5a7B
My mechanic charged me $130 for removing those bolts, when I was expecting to pay $20 max... I was shocked when I got the bill, didn't pay it yet either. So be damn happy with the $15. Good luck with it all.
darn I wouldnt pay 130!! $30 tops.
________
Heat Gun Vaporizers

Last edited by Maximeltman; 08-31-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:44 PM

I know it's ridiculous. Never going back there again. He claims to have worked well over 2 hours, even though I was there the whole time and he put an hour max into it.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:51 PM

I spent $120 to get mine installed. All but 2 bolts broke off in the exhaust manifold, the cat bolts had to be torched off... It hurt to watch them do it. Very frustrating.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Most mechanics or exhaust shops don't know what the **** they are doing and have to read up on the car. Telling them specifically what you want done will get the car out of the shop faster.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:00 PM

I would say, first of all...

Replace the Budget flex section with a new Warpspeed flex section.

Replace your Cat hanger/mounting assembly..

Thats what I had to do.. mine sounded god aweful.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:43 AM

mechanics over charge everything, that's why they get a bad rep
Old 07-28-2004, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by R5a7B

He didn't give you a price quote before he did it? $130 to remove two bolts from the cat is super inflated. It should have took him 15 minutes to do it and not 1-2 hours. He must have taken his precious ole time X 4.

I really wish I had a lift. I worked under the car while it was on the ramp and that was no fun. PB blaster even dripped into my eye!! Yea I was under the sink for awhile. If it breaks loose rusted bolts, I wonder what it does to my mushy eye Rust in the eye is no fun either.

If I add another resonator, will it sound decent?? Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:07 AM

If you don't mind driving to Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Budget will install the Y-pipe for $15. They did a great job for me but I did not drive there just for Y-pipe, I was vacationing.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 PM

They might not have welded the hangers for the b-pipe back on there correctly. Mine kind of does that knocking too sometimes. It is only when the streets are really slick and my wheels spin all the way up to like 5k rpms.

Take it back to them. They have to fix it...they did it. Keep going back until they get it right. I had to go back once, but then just got tired of messing with it. i only hear it every once in a while. They shouldn't charge you more (don't let them), because they didn't do the first job right the first time.

You should have used some pb blaster or some kind of rust penetrater on those bolts on the cat. I had to do that too. You just put in on there, wait 30 min...put some more on there...wait another 30 min....and then they will come right off.

Glad that you got it all on there.
I would just put your stock exhaust back on there.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It helps to put some penetrating oil on those exhaust manifold nuts the night before...or even a few different times before tackling it. After doing my third y-pipe now i'll generally recommend replacing the cat at the same time as you can count on having to cut those bolts off...the bolts from the cat to the b-pipe are easier to cut than the upstream end of the cat. I have made my own hanger to support the upstream end of the cat as the OEM hanger was rusted through due to 8 wisconsin winters.

I have had 3 WSP y's and each has been solid.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

break the cat bolts, drill them out, done! I knew ahead of time that the cat bots suck, so I replaced the cat and Y at the same time. The 6 manifold bolts are easy with the correct tools. The cat to B pipe bolts break easy and stay in the cat. I was golden. Ya know something I dont understand is the S pipe on 98's. Its inlet is bigger than 2.5"....but the rest of the stock exhaust is just over 2". It makes no sence to me. I guess I was lucky all in all b/c it took me 2 hours working slow under the car on jackstands (about 1' off the ground). One thing that did **** me off was the lack of gaskets from WS. I reused the crush rings and bought a new Y to cat gasket.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
They might not have welded the hangers for the b-pipe back on there correctly.

You should have used some pb blaster or some kind of rust penetrater on those bolts on the cat.

I would just put your stock exhaust back on there.

1. I did noticed that the guy made the pipe too close to the top of the car about a foot away from the muffler. I can push up a lil on that section of the pipe and it would hit the top. It taps on cold start ups and big dips. The hangers were fine.

2. Pb blasted that sucker a couple of times with little luck. It helped a lil on the manifold bolts but didn't do too well on the cat bolts.

3. I'd be wasting my money if I was to put my stocker back on. That was the reason why I went aftermarket, my b was rusting, the pipe broke right before the resonator, and the muffler was in bad shape. I got the custom ss resonated b and muffler done less than a month ago. Still have warranty for the tapping b pipe. Im definately bringing it back to get fixed.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=gabex]I would say, first of all...

Replace the Budget flex section with a new Warpspeed flex section.

QUOTE]

Now why would you replace a perfectly good part for the same thing? You get a cut from WS?
I have had mine on for about 20k miles and no complaints.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jbreit
After doing my third y-pipe now i'll generally recommend replacing the cat at the same time as you can count on having to cut those bolts off...

I just want to know why you've gone through 3 Y pipes?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by takentomax
Most mechanics or exhaust shops don't know what the **** they are doing and have to read up on the car. Telling them specifically what you want done will get the car out of the shop faster.
your right about that. Most of the time, after they put it on the lift i do the work myself and give him $30 or so for using his lift.
It takes to long to wait for others to do it for you, just sucks not having a lift at your house.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Go Get a Life!

3 WSP Y's ??
Old 07-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jbreit

If they have been so solid why have you gone through 3?
Old 07-29-2004, 06:38 AM

I'm hoping different cars...