4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MIL light came on /goes off after

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:21 AM

MIL light came on /goes off after

I had P0158/0158 code for rear heated oxygen sensor.
The mechanci opened it but got wrong part so replaced it.
After replacing the malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) went off.

Any idea ?

Should I still replace oxygen sensor or leave it alone ?

Thanks for suggestions
Old 08-01-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

i dont under stand you. your mechanic removed the rear o2 sensor from your car, and then u puchased the wrong part, so you went to get the right part, and then you finally replaced it. and now the code is gone?
if this is the problem, then your mechanic probably just reseted the computer. thats why the CEL is off.

or your mechanic pulled the code from your computer and you purchase the wrong part, and then you had him install it, but it was the wrong part so it didnt fit. and your mechanic put back the old o2 sensor back, but the code didnt come back on this time?

soloution- ur o2 sensor is peobably still functional, so if your mechanic reset the computer,and the MIL is off. then just wait a few days then if the MIL comes back on, then you deffinatly need to replace it. o2 sensors are very sensitive, so sometimes the o2 code will come and go. takes a while though
Old 08-03-2004, 05:23 AM

Thanks for your response.
Sorry I did not explain the problem correctly.

The mechanic got the wrong part from his supplier.
But he already opened the rear heated left 02 sensor but had to put it back because of faulty part. (My car is 1999 Maxima GXE California Emission).

After he put the old part back, the MIL light went off.
It is still off after 6 days.

Does the code (in MIL) clear by itself or do we have to reset it.

Car runs normal and I do not see any gas mileaage drop or any such thing so far.

Thanks again

-mkothari

Originally Posted by killcrap
i dont under stand you. your mechanic removed the rear o2 sensor from your car, and then u puchased the wrong part, so you went to get the right part, and then you finally replaced it. and now the code is gone?
if this is the problem, then your mechanic probably just reseted the computer. thats why the CEL is off.

or your mechanic pulled the code from your computer and you purchase the wrong part, and then you had him install it, but it was the wrong part so it didnt fit. and your mechanic put back the old o2 sensor back, but the code didnt come back on this time?

soloution- ur o2 sensor is peobably still functional, so if your mechanic reset the computer,and the MIL is off. then just wait a few days then if the MIL comes back on, then you deffinatly need to replace it. o2 sensors are very sensitive, so sometimes the o2 code will come and go. takes a while though
Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

your car probably thinks you replaced the o2 sensor. check back in a couple of days. ask your mechanic if he reset the computer.