4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New wheels = new problems? help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:14 PM

New wheels = new problems? help plz

Hi everyone.
Few weeks ago I upgraded from stock 98 SE 215/55R16 wheels to 235/45R17 wheels. And here where I have few questions:

A. One time I heard that with bigger wheels I'll need bigger brakes? True or False? If true, what should I get?

B. Its harder to turn the wheel now, but guess not much could be done there, since I added much wider wheels

C. Also, when I drive around, doesnt really matter on the speeds, but mainly below 65 MPH, I can feel my car vibrate a little. Fast, small vibration, yet you can feel it pretty good. I can feel the pedals vibrate when I push on gas or brakes, I can feel the door vibrate when I put my arm on it while driving. Any ideas?

D. Also, when I stand in N (i have a 5 speed) and put my hand on a stick shift, I can feel that vibrate, and while I was driving my friends Honda Accord stick, his stick shift didn't have any vibrations at all.

E. One more thing, while I'm driving and start braking, coming to a complete stop, before that, my front wheels start to sway left or right, and they do that pretty hard, that I have to keep them strait, any idea why?

Can anyone please help me with these problems? Thank you.

P.S.: When I drive my car on at 35 or higher speeds, I let go of the wheel to see if car will be pulling left or right, but it stayed dead on, so I dont think its balance problem.
Pic of the new wheels
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 PM

a. you shouldn't need bigger brakes. although they would help you stop faster, and they'd look good, they're not necessary.
c. sounds like you need a front end alignment, maybe.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Did you get hub centric rings with the wheels?

Try an alignment.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you got wheel gap son
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM

Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but it looks like you have the wrong offset. What did the wheels come off of.

Make sure you have your wheels spin balanced. Weights on the inner and outer part of the inside of the wheel.

Check your alignment. Check the camber especially.

Wider tires on the MAx will be more sensitive on uneven roads. It will pull a lot and feel real loose.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:54 PM

that kind of vibration usually comes from motor mounts, which has nothing to do with the wheels. its always like that, u start notecing new things wrong with the car when u get some thing new. nyways just try checking that out
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 AM

your vibration problem WHILE driving is MOST LIKELY due to an improper balance. I was also victim of this. I had a brand new set of rims and tires and it vibrated, had it balanced at a multitude of shops and nothing improved. i had allignments done also, still nothing. i even spent over a thousand more just to get four NEW rims and four NEW tires, and STILL no solution. boy was I ****ed off when i found out that the guy at firestone KNEW how to balance them correctly, that was the only problem. now i have a fresh set of rims sitting around in my garage (for sale actually), and the new ones on my car, and it was all due to the stinkin balance that the other idiots at all the other shops didnt know how to do correctly. C3nthusiast is SO RIGHT when he says that the weights should be inside AND outside on the rim, not just in one place! this is what solved my problem, and how they use the balancer is KEY...find a knowledgeable person who KNOWS how to balance them, not some idiot high school kid who doesnt give a crap about your car. your veering from the brakes may be due to uneven wear of the pads, where one pad is stopping the car moreso than the opposing pad, thus causing the car to veer to one side when uneven frictional resistance causes it to do so (but i am not so sure about that...it just seems like the logical reason). your car being dead-center (or not) is not a balance issue, its an allignment issue. get the BALANCE done first.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Hmm...interesting.

The wheels came of 3rd Gen Max...so... :shrug:

How much is the Balancing on avg?