4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

nokya stage II bulbs w/ harness.. SAFE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 PM

nokya stage II bulbs w/ harness.. SAFE?

I recently purchased the nokya stage II bulbs which claim a higher wattage and higher output. I just needed a replacement bulb and the autozones I went to were out of 9004 of xtravision and I didn't want to setlle for some $8 bulb. Anyway, as I was looking for instructions on how to install the harness, I read a lot of, "melted headlight housings", "don't get, melts anyway".

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts as to if it is safe for me to install these?. I mean if the taillights can survive in the oven for 200 degrees, the headlights have to have some durability. All feedback is appreciated, I just don't want a ticket from these pigs for have a cyclops car.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You know there is rice in the world when they start giving light bulbs stages. Melted housings, I don't think so. Higher wattage bulbs will fry your wires as there is more current running through them.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
You know there is rice in the world when they start giving light bulbs stages. Melted housings, I don't think so. Higher wattage bulbs will fry your wires as there is more current running through them.
I was looking at the housing just now and the reflector (octagonal structure covering the bulb) itself looks pretty fragile. Would that fry or turn brown/black from heat? I purchased a wire harness with thicker wires, but I'm still iffy if I should install them.

Also, anyone know of a website that has pictures of the harness install? I'm a supernoob and need to have pictures to do something.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:21 PM

i got the white stage II and they have been fine for a few days... i definately want to get a new harness though, but don't know which one to get... preferably plug and play.

i will let you know if i notice headlight problems...
Old 08-19-2004, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdm71488
i got the white stage II and they have been fine for a few days... i definately want to get a new harness though, but don't know which one to get... preferably plug and play.

i will let you know if i notice headlight problems...
Thanks, I guess there aren't any problems even with stock wiring becuase it should've fried in a matter of hours. I am still confused as to the installation of the harness though. Do I splice? or completely remove and retap the harness? Can I use radio shack tap in connectors?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by kbmaxima
Thanks, I guess there aren't any problems even with stock wiring becuase it should've fried in a matter of hours. I am still confused as to the installation of the harness though. Do I splice? or completely remove and retap the harness? Can I use radio shack tap in connectors?
wish i could help, but i know nothing of that topic yet. i figure when i get some cash i will go to the local shop and get a new harness and have them install it...
Old 08-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Always sunny in philly

your harness will burn to hell. i dont care what jebus himself says. nokya's are high voltage, and in a couple of weeks, you'll see what im talking about.

southwest sells a pair of nokya upgraded harnesses for 15 bucks. invest
Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 PM

i know i may be the luckiest man alive but... ive been running stage II nokya bulbs in my car my wifes talon my sisters corolla and my moms camry (lol) and none of which have any melting or any starting of melting or anything like that ive had the same stage II bulbs in my max for a year or so with no ill effects and i drive about 600 miles a week in the dark going back and forth to my wifes familys house, trust me here is a fraction of the bulbs i have tested... btw the only reason i have all these bulbs are for comparison pics and testing because i sell headlight bulbs and people want to see pics...like on ebay i spose but my pics araent fake...but for the most part to be on the safe side yes you should upgrade your wire harness its not that hard at all i sell those too some genarics for $10 or nokya for $20. or just go to ebay find a set u like and buy em. there is one of the comparisons done on my moms camry stock vs nokya 2's
Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
your harness will burn to hell. i dont care what jebus himself says. nokya's are high voltage, and in a couple of weeks, you'll see what im talking about.

southwest sells a pair of nokya upgraded harnesses for 15 bucks. invest
first off.. your car issssssssssssssss hot.. Hopefully mine will turn out half as nice as yours. secondly, I did buy the nokya harnesses, I just have no clue where to start on how to install them. I've searched on google for illustrated pictures, but no luck. I have the bulbs and harness, but no ***** nor knowledge for where to start. with my luck I get a ticket tomororw for having only one headlight
Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 PM

ok first off you should buy a wire stripper crimper tool if you dont have one then there like $5 or less at wal-mart second look at the back of where your headlight goes into the casing and the harness coming off the bulb, if there is black insulation in the way then cut it out of the way with a wire cutters then cut off the old harness figure out which wires are positive ground and yada ya but not looking at my engine bay right now i couldnt tell you the colors but i also believe there differnt on the pass side vs the drivers side if you cant figure it out ill look tommaro and let u kno what colors they are otherwise you just strip the wire after you cut off the old connector and then use the straight through connector things that come in the pack (blue) straight crimper things that you crimp(dont know what there called) and connect the new harness wires to the correct wires that used to be going to the stock connector. then just to be on the safe side i would wrap some electrical tape around the connecters just to make sure theres no bare wire touching anything or the wires coming loose or anything
Old 08-20-2004, 01:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ive also been running nokya stage II with upgraded harness for like 1 year with no probs =)
Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

anyone you can help me out with a harness? I purchased NOKYA YELLOW 2500K H16 35W and they don't fit. Stock is L shaped while these are just straight. Not really trying to burn out the car since it has 350 miles on it but any help would be greatly appreciated fellas!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 PM

Don't use them. Instead, get GE Nighthawk Platinum or Philips Xtreme Vision.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:58 AM

I have the 65w hyper yellows. I rarely use them but I have never had issues.