4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Speedometer Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:18 PM

Speedometer Accuracy

I got a 97 Maxima SE and I was wondering if it is somehow possible to mess with the speedometer to make it look like you are going faster than you actually are and to do so in a way that if I got it tested people wouldn't think I had messed with it, they would just think it had been set incorrectly or something. Also, is there is a way to test the accuracy of the speedometer without going to a dyno shop?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:21 PM

y would u do that? I dont know i think when i got my newer rims and tires on my car my dad took it some where to get it recalibrated
Old 08-26-2004, 01:08 PM

The reason I want to change this is to try to get out of a ticket. So I couldn't just have a shop change it for me I would need to do it myself and then take it to a shop to say that my speedometer was innacurate.

The whole plan probably won't work but its worth a shot.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Kevlo for President

Change tire or wheel
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 08-26-2004, 02:00 PM

This will not get you out of a ticket. At least in Kansas, it doesn't even matter if you have a speedometer or not. I tried getting out of a ticket in an old car by saying that my dash lights were out and I had no idea how fast I was going. The DA laughed and said it didn't matter. It is your responsibility to follow the speed limit no matter what is wrong with the speedo, dash lights ect. I am pretty sure this is how it works throughout the country.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In WI people try to say that their speedo was off and the judge says "ill allow you to retract that statement if you wish" If they dont its another ticket, operating with malfunctioning/unoperating equipment or somthing like that...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:24 PM

In WI many counties will let let you plead defective speedo/tires and they will drop the speeding. The fine is often the same, but you don't have points taken from your license. My wife did it, but not all DA's and judges will allow it.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:22 PM

Ok I was actually going 110 in a 65 so I'm not even trying to get out of the ticket just to make it cost less. That is bull**** that you can get a ticket for having an inaccurate speedometer. How should you be able to tell if its not off by that far. And I didn't get radared by the cop I'm almost positive because I saw the headlights catching up and started braking while he was still a ways away. By the way the ticket is in Kings City California if anyone knows any specifics for how the judges are there. I have a feeling I'm ****ed no matter what but I gotta try something.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 PM

No shop owner in their right mind would allow modifing a speedo. Altering is a federal crime as well as a state crime. In OR there is NO allowance for an inaccurate speedo. Most officers just make allowances at the street.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:52 PM

You can't tell the difference between 110 and 65?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by aceptedeclectic
Ok I was actually going 110 in a 65 so I'm not even trying to get out of the ticket just to make it cost less. That is bull**** that you can get a ticket for having an inaccurate speedometer. How should you be able to tell if its not off by that far. And I didn't get radared by the cop I'm almost positive because I saw the headlights catching up and started braking while he was still a ways away. By the way the ticket is in Kings City California if anyone knows any specifics for how the judges are there. I have a feeling I'm ****ed no matter what but I gotta try something.
Come on dude!! How is it BS getting a ticket for not having your speedo working right? Its there for a reason, so you know how fast you were going. Thats like crying BS for getting a ticket for no brake lights. People behind you have the right to know when you're stopping, especially at night right? Not to be harsh, but face it, you got caught, THIS TIME. Suck it up and go to traffic school.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:04 PM

The only way to change it is to have bigger tires but to be off by 45 MPH you would have to have some huge tires on it so there really isn't a way to to it. In CT you can tell that to a judge and they will usually drop it if you have proof from a mechanic saying that your speedo is inaccurate but 45 MPH is way too much you might as well just pay it and try to get it off your record.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

just to state, I think he knows that he won't be getting outta it, he just wants its to be not as bad as it was.... but anyways, good luck man.... hopefully you'll learn from it like I did from my tickets, it just ain't worth it to be speeding like that.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Custom User Title...

there is a way, but why try to break the law again by altering it to lower your ticket? fight it and maybe they'll lower it, but don't try to play dumb like your car was messed up. you went that fast, you got caught, you should own up. it sucks but you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:28 AM

Get a lawyer!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by HuliganRS
Get a lawyer!
i second that
Old 08-31-2004, 12:39 PM

Yep, broken or inaccurate speedometers will not help you get out of a ticket. Most states and officers will kindly issue you a citation for a broken or manfunctioning speedometer if you tell them it is broken, along with your speeding ticket.

If this is your first traffic ticket you may be able to negotiatie and get the reckless driving portion taken off (if you state automatically cites like some do for more than 40 over) but be prepared for fat fines all around and driving very carfully and responsibly for the next 2 years.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Keith P
No shop owner in their right mind would allow modifing a speedo. Altering is a federal crime as well as a state crime. In OR there is NO allowance for an inaccurate speedo.
I figured a shop owner wouldn't alter my speedometer but I was hoping I could do it byself without leaving evidence and then get it tested at a shop to prove its innacuracy. And its not that I want to say I was speeding because my speedometer was innacurate but that I wasn't necessarily going 110 maybe only 95 or 100. Remember I'm almost positive I wasn't radared the ticket speed is based on my word.

You can't tell the difference between 110 and 65?
It's a Maxima that **** rides smooth. Nah, man I'm not saying trying to get away with being within the legal limit I'm just trying to get the fine reduced.

just to state, I think he knows that he won't be getting outta it, he just wants its to be not as bad as it was.... but anyways, good luck man.... hopefully you'll learn from it like I did from my tickets, it just ain't worth it to be speeding like that.
Thanks for clarifying for these people. I learned from my other tickets and didn't get one for three years and then I forgot that lesson the first ones had taught me.

just pay it and try to get it off your record.
Get it off how?

How is it BS getting a ticket for not having your speedo working right? Its there for a reason, so you know how fast you were going.
OK I understand that you should have a working speedometer. I was refering to Tyrexx's story where he said that he was going to get a ticket for having an innaccurate speedometer. If your speedometer is only off by a little how are you supposed to know.

there is a way, but why try to break the law again by altering it to lower your ticket? fight it and maybe they'll lower it, but don't try to play dumb like your car was messed up. you went that fast, you got caught, you should own up. it sucks but you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
What is the way? Why should I just own up to it? Its my fault and I deserve the ticket but I'd prefer to pay as little as possible for it.

Get a lawyer!
Perhaps I could start a get Ryan a lawyer for his speeding ticket fund here cause I don't have that kind of money. Just PM me here if your willing to donate. Also if you know any good lawyers that are willing to work pro bono let me know too.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM

BTW I went through by one of those machines that tell you how fast your going and it quoted my speed as being less than my speedometer read.

Get Ryan a Lawyer Fund update: No donations but as couple wishes of good luck. Thinking of selling drugs to get a lawyer. Support me through donations and help keep drugs off the street.

BTW Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by aceptedeclectic
You have any vaseline?