4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ignition problem? Danial B. Martin and others if you please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 07:21 AM

Background: 99SE with 23K.

Beautiful day in Phily yesterday invited me to clean up my leather, dash, windows and carpets for about an hour. I listened to the Bose the whole time at a low level. Key was in the "second on" position, (no reason why, just because). While key was in second position, a constant clicking noise came from the right side of the engine, about 6-12 down from the top. I thought nothing much about it and continued to clean. After an hour, I removed the key and went inside.

A few hours later, I try to start the car and get only a few Rrr-Rrr-Rrr's and then nothing. Radio works fine. I visual warnings that signaled a failing altinator or battery. I try again, only half an Rrr and then a bunch of clicking (like an eletrical gap that wasn't getting completed). Same thing this morning.

So, I don't think it's the battery or altinator. My first guess is the ignition or maybe the starter. What do you guys think? What could possibly go after 23k miles?

Thanks in advance.
-Ryan
Old 04-06-2001, 07:23 AM
Vic

get yourself jump started man..
same thing happened to my car with even lower miles =)
it was the radio..hehe
well in my case..i left my fog lights on
Vic

Originally posted by Frezny
Background: 99SE with 23K.

Beautiful day in Phily yesterday invited me to clean up my leather, dash, windows and carpets for about an hour. I listened to the Bose the whole time at a low level. Key was in the "second on" position, (no reason why, just because). While key was in second position, a constant clicking noise came from the right side of the engine, about 6-12 down from the top. I thought nothing much about it and continued to clean. After an hour, I removed the key and went inside.

A few hours later, I try to start the car and get only a few Rrr-Rrr-Rrr's and then nothing. Radio works fine. I visual warnings that signaled a failing altinator or battery. I try again, only half an Rrr and then a bunch of clicking (like an eletrical gap that wasn't getting completed). Same thing this morning.

So, I don't think it's the battery or altinator. My first guess is the ignition or maybe the starter. What do you guys think? What could possibly go after 23k miles?

Thanks in advance.
-Ryan
Old 04-06-2001, 07:27 AM

... So, I don't think it's the battery or altinator. My first guess is the ignition or maybe the starter. What do you guys think? What could possibly go after 23k miles?
You can have a discharged battery at any time, even on a brand new car.

Get a booster-cable jump start from a friend. If you car cranks well and starts readily, your battery was discharged.
Old 04-06-2001, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys,

I'm in the process of trying that now, so... I'll let you know if it works. I wouldn't think the battery to discharge so quickly. Plus, My experience with semi-discharged batteries is that they always "recharge" just enough to get you to turn over the next day, (unless you left your lights on, )
Old 04-06-2001, 07:47 AM

It works....for now

I just hope that it was the battery and that I don't get stranded somewhere. Funny, I honestly didn't think the battery could get drained so quickly.
Old 04-06-2001, 08:02 AM
Vic

Re: It works....for now

told ya..now you owe me =P
mine clicked the same way
Vic

I just hope that it was the battery and that I don't get stranded somewhere. Funny, I honestly didn't think the battery could get drained so quickly.
Old 04-06-2001, 08:11 AM

Have your charging system checked

... I honestly didn't think the battery could get drained so quickly.
If your battery was already partly discharged, the remaining charge could be dissipated in a short time.

Many auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic instrument and takes only two minutes. Please get have this test made. You may have a weak alternator and this no-crank episode was the first symptom.
Old 04-06-2001, 08:17 AM

Thanks again guys.

I'll got to PB's today and have them check it out. The irony of this whole thing is that if this turns out to be an altenator problem, it will be the third car in a row that has given me such problems. The others were old accords with 100k+ miles (no suprise that the alternators went when they did)

Advice is great when it's free.