4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

LOUD timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LOUD timing chain

So whats the story with the loud timing chains on the 4th gen's? How difficult is it to raplace a tensioner? I know it is behind the plastic black cover by the timing chain cover but it looks really difficult to access. Anyone have any personal experiences with replacing the tensioner to shut this puppy up? Mine is loud throuout the RPM band while in gear. Very annoying.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:03 AM

my max also has a loud timing chain...do these need replacement?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:19 AM

my chain was noisey also but it was under warranty so i got it replaced for free.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:41 AM

i was led to believe that timing belts on max's(vq30de) were made to last the life of the engine. ?????????
Old 09-22-2004, 04:29 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by 96pearlmax
i was led to believe that timing belts on max's(vq30de) were made to last the life of the engine. ?????????
And I'm being led to believe that you can't read.

Tensioner replacement is a serious pain inthe rear to do, but it will fix your problem.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg

Tensioner replacement is a serious pain inthe rear to do, but it will fix your problem.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267096
Old 09-22-2004, 05:37 AM

You have to remove the tensioner when you change the water pump. The first time I tried to change the water pump I didn't know that. The book insinuates you can push the plunger on the tensioner in with a screwdriver. NOT. 5hrs wasted. After someone on the list informed me that I wouldn't be able to get the tension off the chain without REMOVING the tensioner I tried again. No problem. You have to remove the motor mount for the water pump. It is a pretty tight fit for the hands but there were only two screws holding the tensioner onto the block after you take off the cover you mentioned. The cover closest to the firewall that is. The other cover is the water pump. Don't drop any screws behind the timing chain cover. I stuffed a couple of rags in the opening surrounding the tensioner after I took off the cover and before removing the bolts from the tensioner. This is not a hard project. It just takes some patience and time. Since you are not doing the water pump I would say you could probably do it in 3 or 4 hours.
Look for a write up on the water pump. You shouldn't need to remove everything they do to get the tensioner out but you should be able to determine that by doing a reality check on your engine bay.
Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:39 AM

The mechanics manuals all say 9.5 hours which is always over estimated so they don't get burned taking too long, so you can figure on about 6 hours if you know what you are doing! I opted to change my timing chain at that time as my tensioner was shot and I had 120k on the motor. The chain life is usually around 120 to 180k , but the tensioner goes before then (especially 95's) and there's a likely hood of the chain being stretched. Don't let anyone fool you this is no 1-2 hour job in your dirveway, I've done some pretty major engine work in my garage/driveway, I started this project but ended up going to my mechanic, he had to drop the motor mount and raise the motor to get at it easier. I know some have removed the passenger fender to make easier access! I've used this guy for over 15 years and trust him faithfully. The cost of the chain is cheap compared to the labour so it's worth changing the chain then you're probably done for 6-8 years plus the peace of mind. There are two other chains in there as well but the timing chain is the larger one, there are complete chain kits also. What makes this all so difficult is the minimal amount of room to work. Both the tensior and chain are cheap, I was suprised the chain wasn't that much more than most other cars timing belts.Good luck , hope this helps and kudo's too all the guys who have done it themselves!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:31 AM

So my best bet is to get my own parts (obviously) then find a "buddy" with a full functional garage with a lift and all the right tools, lift engine outta there for a few hours, then go to town on the replacement parts.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by maximabebe
So my best bet is to get my own parts (obviously) then find a "buddy" with a full functional garage with a lift and all the right tools, lift engine outta there for a few hours, then go to town on the replacement parts.
Yep pretty much, at least tilt the motor at one end
Old 09-22-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg

ummm. ok. I simply said that i thought timing belts were made to last the life of the car. It was a question. See the question marks? I being led to believe that you dont know punctuation marks.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:23 AM

ummm. ok. I simply said that i thought timing belts were made to last the life of the car. It was a question. See the question marks? I being led to believe that you dont know punctuation marks.
He said that b/c there is no timing belt, it's a chain
Old 09-22-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Buahhaa. Someone got
Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
He said that b/c there is no timing belt, it's a chain
thanks jatan..all this was over whether or not it was a plastic belt or a metal chain. Well duh, i know its a chain. look up and see when i first posted that comment. 4 in the am. Some people just love drama. But back to my original question. I was led to believe that timing CHAINS were made to last the life of the engine. And jeffse, some one really got me . geez
Old 09-22-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yes, despite the FIRST 3 posts ALL stating timing CHAINS, you managed to chime in with your superior knowledge and somehow type in timing BELT. Nice one. Especially when the last maxima to have a timing BELT was in 1994.

thanks jatan..all this was over whether or not it was a plastic belt or a metal chain. Well duh, i know its a chain. Some people just love drama. But back to my original question. I was led to believe that timing CHAINS were made to last the life of the engine. And jeffse, some one really got me . geez
Old 09-22-2004, 11:46 AM

The chains are made to last the life of your car, but the chain tensioner might need to be replaced if it was faulty (check TSB thread)
Old 09-22-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Yes, despite the FIRST 3 posts ALL stating timing CHAINS, you managed to chime in with your superior knowledge and somehow type in timing BELT. Nice one. Especially when the last maxima to have a timing BELT was in 1994.
could it be that it was finally brought to my attention. I was wondering why everyone thought i was tard. It was 4 in the am when i typed that. I had just gotten done replacing my fiance's galants belt. You would now about those belts having a 92 huh..
Old 09-22-2004, 11:49 AM

"The life of the car" is a pretty broad statement that could be 2 mins then totalled in an accident, or 30 years and beyond and no chain will last that long, as I said before it's the tensioner that goes first, it's rare for the chain to break, but it can certainly be stretched! We're only talking fractions of an inch and when the tensioner goes and the chain is loose it can prematurely wear gear teeth etc.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Could it be you have no idea what you are talking about?? I know what my engine has. I bet you don't.

could it be that it was finally brought to my attention. I was wondering why everyone thought i was tard. You would now about those belts having a 92 huh..
Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 AM

Could it be you have no idea what you are talking about?? I know what my engine has. I bet you don't.
dude are you a teenager? All you wanna do is argue. It was a comment i made at 4 in the am. And on top of that, it was a question. I dont claim to know everything about my car. For your, "I bet you dont". I am tired of wasting of you wasting my time. So for this threads sake, i bet i dont too. Where is the icon of someone jacking off???? That would fit perfect here
Old 09-22-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

If I was 10 years old, I'd still know more than you about maximas. And you know what? I'd still wouldn't chime in with idiot replies when I didn't know the correct answers.

I guess this GIANT of a reply means you DON'T know.

dude are you a teenager? All you wanna do is argue. It was a comment i made at 4 in the am. And on top of that, it was a question. I dont claim to know everything about my car. For your, "I bet you dont". I am tired of wasting of you wasting my time. So for this threads sake, i bet i dont too. Where is the icon of someone jacking off???? That would fit perfect here
Old 09-22-2004, 12:07 PM

If I was 10 years old, I'd still know more than you about maximas. And you know what? I'd still wouldn't chime in with idiot replies when I didn't know the correct answers.

I guess this GIANT of a reply means you DON'T know.
like i said. you are a teenager. Grow up and stop wasting time and space. I simply placed the word belt instead of chain.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Like I said, you don't know a damned thing. Stop posting incorrect information all over the forums. You make youself look idiotic.

like i said. you are a teenager. Grow up and stop wasting time and space. I simply placed the word belt instead of chain.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:22 PM

can't we all just get along?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr99Maxima
can't we all just get along?
No!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:52 PM

I find it ironic that one of the two people in this pizzing contest is a Moderator, shouldn't you be setting an example? Instead of encouraging this stuff!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

What if I'm making an example of him??

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
I find it ironic that one of the two people in this pizzing contest is a Moderator, shouldn't you be setting an example? Instead of encouraging this stuff!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Humble '06 TL Owner

: 123456
Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 PM

What if I'm making an example of him??
Better him than me! LOL
Old 09-22-2004, 01:39 PM

For those of you who aren't from the Kindergarden part of the org:

My max (1996 model year built July of 1995) just hit 192,000 miles about a week ago. What exactly does this sound like? Should I be concerned about this? I've never heard any significant noise from the valvetrain, especially while accelerating.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do you want me to reply or not?

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger

My max (1996 model year built July of 1995) just hit 192,000 miles about a week ago. What exactly does this sound like? Should I be concerned about this? I've never heard any significant noise from the valvetrain, especially while accelerating.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:46 PM

Don't worry unless you hear something bud..
Old 09-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Usually heard on cold start up
Old 09-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you have a 95 or early 96 maxima you can't just replace the tensioner....they tweeked the design some and the "new" tensioner will not work on the old timing chain guide as they are angled differently - and the old is not available. The serial number cut off is in the TSB description. As for fixing it you either replace all of it (a long job I know way too much about) or remove the old tensioner, put the plunger from a new tensioner into the old body and reinstall it...and cross your fingers...I have not done the later, but have read in these pages that it can work.

The most recent full timing chain/guides/tensioner job I did was on a 95 max with 80K....the wear on the guides was insignificant and the chain had little side to side flex...though all was replaced as part of the kit that thepartsbin.com offers.

If you have a 97 and newer max its probably a result of using crappy oil filters at the "qwik-e-lube" that have a poor drainbak valve in them....If its orange...its junk.

The chain and the rest of those parts should be good for life with proper oil/filter changes.

Speaking of "good for life" I can say this post is the first time I have read about a water pump being replaced in a maxima....?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:47 PM

well i have a 95 se w/ 108k...makes noise at startup then goes away (2sec). think i should address this issue..at what point does this become critical?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
Kindergarden!!! . .. . . I have 224,000 on my Model yr 95 biult on 3/95, changed the tensioner at about 150k

jbreit And I've heard of many water pumps being replaced on 4th gens, including mine. . .and at least 7 or 8 others. I also used that same kit avalable from thepartsbin for the tesnioner.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by jbreit
If you have a 97 and newer max its probably a result of using crappy oil filters at the "qwik-e-lube" that have a poor drainbak valve in them....If its orange...its junk.

The chain and the rest of those parts should be good for life with proper oil/filter changes.

Speaking of "good for life" I can say this post is the first time I have read about a water pump being replaced in a maxima....?
I'm having the tensioner problem as well or at least I think I am.

Interesting that you mention the new design regarding the tensioner.

Where does a '97 I30 stand in all this because it seems up until '97...the I30 looks and seems to share pretty much everything with '96 model except maybe the Bose stereo panel. But, as far as the design of the mechanical parts such as the tensioner...I'm not sure which model year, in relation to the Maxima, it matches with.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 PM

I replaced just the tensioner on my 95. If I remember correctly, the guides came with the tensioner but I tossed those out.

Originally Posted by jbreit
If you have a 95 or early 96 maxima you can't just replace the tensioner....they tweeked the design some and the "new" tensioner will not work on the old timing chain guide as they are angled differently - and the old is not available. The serial number cut off is in the TSB description. As for fixing it you either replace all of it (a long job I know way too much about) or remove the old tensioner, put the plunger from a new tensioner into the old body and reinstall it...and cross your fingers...I have not done the later, but have read in these pages that it can work.

The most recent full timing chain/guides/tensioner job I did was on a 95 max with 80K....the wear on the guides was insignificant and the chain had little side to side flex...though all was replaced as part of the kit that thepartsbin.com offers.