4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fastest Auto (besides Don!) ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001 | 01:30 PM
OG

This has probably been brought up about a thousand times, but I never had a chance to see it. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has broken into the 14's without any type of forced induction. I'll be heading out to the track soon and I want to know what to expect. Right now, I'm estimating around a 15.3 or somewhere in ta vicinity.
Old 04-10-2001 | 03:53 PM

Yes, Don has one of the faster auto maxima. He is right now doing a big motor build up which he expects to break 11's.. more or less 10's on a N/A motor.

Steve in Philly also has a 12 sec maxima. I dont not know the exact time and i cant really mention the mods.

Most auto's with intake & exhaust (y-pipe too) run 15.3-15.2 There are too many things that can take effect of your time.

There are a few autos here on the funny gas that run flat 14's.

Autos are consistent but 5 speed is way faster.
Old 04-10-2001 | 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Synki
Yes, Don has one of the faster auto maxima. He is right now doing a big motor build up which he expects to break 11's.. more or less 10's on a N/A motor.

Steve in Philly also has a 12 sec maxima. I dont not know the exact time and i cant really mention the mods.

Most auto's with intake & exhaust (y-pipe too) run 15.3-15.2 There are too many things that can take effect of your time.

There are a few autos here on the funny gas that run flat 14's.

Steves best time is a 13.5, but the new intercooler should make his times in the low 13's.
Old 04-10-2001 | 04:30 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Steves best time is a 13.5, but the new intercooler should make his times in the low 13's.
Are you talking about SteveChicagoSC or Steve in Philly? Steve in Philly is 12's. SteveChicagoSC is 13.5 and with intercooler he should be like you said low 13's.
Old 04-10-2001 | 04:56 PM
OG

Synki, do you know of anyone running at least a 14.9 in an auto w/out supercharger/nitrous/turbo??
Old 04-10-2001 | 05:04 PM

Originally posted by SmoothMax
Synki, do you know of anyone running at least a 14.9 in an auto w/out supercharger/nitrous/turbo??
I dont know too many autos that are in the 14's unless they are on NOS or Boosted. I know there was someone who ran a 15.2 (either stock or on intake).

Don in Texas ran a best of 14.2 with basic mods and on slicks or drag radials. Don can answer that better then me.

An auto can hit 14's just with a bot more mods then a 5 speed. If you run intake (or CAI), y-pipe, straight pipe (or a hollowed out cat), B-pipe, VB mod, and Pulley you will be a 14.9-14.8 or so wiht some practice. Im sure if you get a high stall toque conveter w/ a vb mod it will knock off another 1/10-2/10.

There are also too many factors with elevation and weather.
Old 04-10-2001 | 05:04 PM
Administrator

The closest person was Jim W who ran 15.1 @ 94 mph .. so with good traction it is possible

Old 04-11-2001 | 03:36 AM

I haven't gone to the track yet...but I hope I'm close.

I have a 97 SE & my mods include CAI, exhaust, Y-pipe, UDP, high stall TC, recalibrated VB. RT cat should've been here by now, but it's still in the mail. If I'm still not running 14's by then, I know I will be after one other power mod I'm getting (not NOS, SC, or turbo). =) more to come in a couple weeks... =)
Old 04-11-2001 | 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Synki

That's not entirely true. Stock for Stock, yes.

Don't forget the fact that an Auto, with adjusted VB doesn't loose the power durring a shift that the 5 Speed does. Throw in a torque converter and the launch speed is better for the auto than it's stock version. In the 1/4 mile, the gear ratio difference plays a small part, but I'm not sure if it's enough to overcome the quicker shift.

If your talking about real world conditions, where a drag may not always take place on a flat surface, I think the Auto has the advantage of launching off an incline/declined line. As always, it will come down the the driver.

As for times, I think Don has hit the 14.1 mark. There are some Autos on here that have hit 14.9 I think, but I can't remember who, sorry.
Old 04-11-2001 | 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Frezny

That's not entirely true. Stock for Stock, yes.
Yes, i agree on this. Autos are more consistent b/c there is less room for driver error. THough i have missed shifts before on my auto. Go figure.. hehe.

Don't forget the fact that an Auto, with adjusted VB doesn't loose the power durring a shift that the 5 Speed does. Throw in a torque converter and the launch speed is better for the auto than it's stock version. In the 1/4 mile, the gear ratio difference plays a small part, but I'm not sure if it's enough to overcome the quicker shift.
That is true, i too have the VB but it still wont keep up with a 5 speed. I can react just ask quick (right Dennis?!)I always get walked when the 5 speeds hit 3rd gear. (ask Sprntmax bout this one) You can keep the power during the shift with 5 speeds. A lot of guys leave their foot on the gas pedal while they shift. Then when the clutch is release the rpm's are still up, not down.

There are some guys out there that can still shift quicker then the VB. Talk to My4DSC or SprntMax about this or even Phil96SE. These guys can shift faster then my auto would ever.

If your talking about real world conditions, where a drag may not always take place on a flat surface, I think the Auto has the advantage of launching off an incline/declined line. As always, it will come down the the driver.
Nah, i was mainly talking about the drag strip.

As for times, I think Don has hit the 14.1 mark. There are some Autos on here that have hit 14.9 I think, but I can't remember who, sorry.
Let's just say 14's are hard to come by with autos and no boost or nos. As a note, this isnt a flame or an arguement im just telling what i have noticed.

Frenzy, how you like the VB? You got Don's VB right? Help me represent that autos can be quick.
Old 04-11-2001 | 07:33 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

VB shifting is not the problem. It's just physics that's slowing down the auto. We have a torque convertor with all those fluid we need to spin by the engine. Why do you think auto dyno 15hp-20hp less to the wheel than 5 speed? That 20hp we lost is the problem =) Forget the VB quick shifting crap. It doesn't matter as much as the hp we loose. We only have one advantage. Auto never misses a shift.
Old 04-11-2001 | 08:39 AM

Synki, those rims might be slowing you down there J/K

I do agree that a 5speed is faster than an auto for the most part, just not in every case. When talking about extremes, world record proffessional drag cars all auto's, right?

I haven't put the VB mod in yet, hell I don't even have it in my hands yet, theres a story behind this that you should all find out about soon...(not a flame against Don by any means, infact, just the opposite)

Back to the topic, I can't waite to get it im my car. I drive hard, and have always had a 5 speed until I got the Max. Why? well, It was a great deal and my old honda was going to die, so I couldn't be too choosy. Becuase of my driving style, I know I'm gonna kill the tranny unless I get the VB upgrade and the tranny cooler, plus I won't have to wait for the GD thing to shift when I want it to shift!!!

When you weigh the fun factor, nothing beats a 5 speed.
Old 04-11-2001 | 09:08 AM

is possible

First, Yes it is VERY possbile to run 14's in a BPU max...
if i *were* to get full exhaust and take out my back seat and all the other $hit in my car i would run 14's .. i don't doubt..

Don't believe me ? Buy me an exhaust and i'll show you it's possible

Ant
Old 04-11-2001 | 10:47 AM

This is dissapointing There has to be other Auto Maxima's hitting 14's with the exception of Don. For the average auto maxima enthusiast this isn't to promising.

Spintmax
What mods did JimW have on his car when he hit the 15.1 in the 1/4.

I think the valve body was worth it. When you get on the shifts are so damn fast. I think it is defiantley a key factor in breaking into 14's.
Old 04-11-2001 | 10:56 AM
JimW

In my case, 15.1's were possible without many mods--->

Originally posted by black97max
This is dissapointing There has to be other Auto Maxima's hitting 14's with the exception of Don. For the average auto maxima enthusiast this isn't to promising.

Spintmax
What mods did JimW have on his car when he hit the 15.1 in the 1/4.

I think the valve body was worth it. When you get on the shifts are so damn fast. I think it is defiantley a key factor in breaking into 14's.

I ran 15.1's at 90 mph (on a 2.2 60') with a Popcharger, Stillen Y, and HKS muffler.

I ran 15.1's at 95 mph(on a 2.5 60') with the above plus a high stall convertor (2200 stall speed) and a JWT ECU.

Race weights were in the 3300lb range. I still believe that 14's were possible with the latter setup, but since I foolishly ran on my winter wheels at the strip my last time out, traction was a big problem for me, hence the 2.5 60' times. Car had everything in it, and close to 1/2 tank of fuel. I gave up after breaking the tranny for the second time. Then sold the car.
Old 04-11-2001 | 11:28 AM

Two weekends ago I ran a 15.2 in Baytown with a 2.4 60'.

This summer I WILL make it into the 14s N/A.

I will do this by adding Don's VB mod., an Unorthodox pulley and lighter wheels. I'll probably see 14s with just the lighter wheels and VB mod.

Keep in mind that the I have stock cat-back exhaust and plan to achieve 14s with this setup.
If I could just get away from those 2.4 60's I could get even closer now. The 60's are really annoying me.
Old 04-11-2001 | 02:29 PM

Synki, those rims might be slowing you down there J/K

I do agree that a 5speed is faster than an auto for the most part, just not in every case. When talking about extremes, world record proffessional drag cars all auto's, right?

I haven't put the VB mod in yet, hell I don't even have it in my hands yet, theres a story behind this that you should all find out about soon...(not a flame against Don by any means, infact, just the opposite)

Back to the topic, I can't waite to get it im my car. I drive hard, and have always had a 5 speed until I got the Max. Why? well, It was a great deal and my old honda was going to die, so I couldn't be too choosy. Becuase of my driving style, I know I'm gonna kill the tranny unless I get the VB upgrade and the tranny cooler, plus I won't have to wait for the GD thing to shift when I want it to shift!!!

When you weigh the fun factor, nothing beats a 5 speed.
Frenzy, yea hehe i do need to dorp these rims. They are slowing me down way to much.

I do agree with you 100%. Yes, the pros use autos. They use the Chevy 2 speed power glide trans. You will def love the VB mod. I know i do. It shifts so fast that you would swear it was stick. You will love it even more then it chirps from 1st to 2nd. hehe.

BigTexan-You should def hit 14's with your complete setup. Practice is all it takes. I promise 14's this summer as well.
Old 04-11-2001 | 03:03 PM

15.4 @ 90 with 2.4x 60ft and no rear seat >>

pass seat and empty trunk on 3/4 tank of 93 octane. CAI, Greddy cat-back, stock cat, VB mod, 17" wheels, street tires at normal street pressure. Dropped 2 tenths when I let the car actually cool off for a bit. I suspect that I could get another 2 tenths off with a lot of cooling and a decent 60ft - you know, they say a tenth off the 60 ft is good for 2 tenths at the 1/4. Maybe some drag radials, less gas in the tank, etc. would help. Maybe if I would lose like 100 lbs (no, really!) I would be as skinny as some of you guys and drop another couple of tenths!

Mike
Old 04-11-2001 | 04:42 PM
OG

Ok, so now I have a goal for this spring. I'm gonna head over to Seattle International when I get a chance, and I won't leave till I run a 14.9 damnit! I'll probably be ordering an ecu sometime soon, so that should help.
Old 04-12-2001 | 06:45 AM

don't forget

1/4 mile times are very dependant on geographical location. You location will affect relative humidity, temperature, and most importantly, barametric pressure. These three little numbers that most people overlook are the key to getting the best times.

Another thing, not to bring up Synki's situation again, but people don't really give wheel size and weight the credit it deserves in dropping an car's 1/4 mile time. For every unit smaller a wheel gets and for every oz. a wheel lightens, you will exponentially decrease the amount of energy needed to turn the tire and thus exponentially decrease your ET. It's an inverse hyperbolic mathmatical equation. Don't believe me, ask the experts.
Old 04-12-2001 | 06:16 PM
Administrator

hey Synki.. Steve in Philly's car is not an Auto
Old 04-12-2001 | 06:45 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yeah, don't forget that the fastest Maxima's ALL exist in the coastal areas (ie sea level) like Houston, Florida, and the Northeast. There is a reason why they are the fastest. They are blessed with sea level conditions, HIGH barometric pressures, and good weather all year round (ie lot of practice). If you can get within .3-.4 of what the guys are running on the sea level tracks, then you are doing pretty good.

I've seen scanned timeslips from tracks in Florida and the Northeast and the barometric pressures are incredible. I've seen as high as 32.10 baro pressure on some E-Town timeslips which is the equal to having 2 psi of boost. 30.0 baro pressure is sea level. Running in 32.10 baro pressure is like running at 4000' BELOW SEA LEVEL!!!!

Dave
Old 04-12-2001 | 08:37 PM

Re: is possible

Originally posted by Ant95se
First, Yes it is VERY possbile to run 14's in a BPU max...
if i *were* to get full exhaust and take out my back seat and all the other $hit in my car i would run 14's .. i don't doubt..

Don't believe me ? Buy me an exhaust and i'll show you it's possible

Ant

sorry to disappoint you, but the back seat weighs about a pound. it's just a cushion.
Old 04-12-2001 | 08:43 PM

Re: don't forget

Another thing, not to bring up Synki's situation again, but people don't really give wheel size and weight the credit it deserves in dropping an car's 1/4 mile time. For every unit smaller a wheel gets and for every oz. a wheel lightens, you will exponentially decrease the amount of energy needed to turn the tire and thus exponentially decrease your ET. It's an inverse hyperbolic mathmatical equation. Don't believe me, ask the experts.
well no wonder my car is so slow. i weighed my rims today - 47lbs each.
Old 04-13-2001 | 06:10 AM

Your car is slow?

Originally posted by sx7r

well no wonder my car is so slow. i weighed my rims today - 47lbs each.
****, I must be watching the wrong videos then! BTW, Thomas, Nice pull on that VR4 that you posted a little while ago. I noticed that you wripped through 1st pretty quick, but got kinda bogged down in second. Did you shift too early, or did you not engage 2nd gear quickly enough? Just curious is all.

For anybody who know's Steve in Phily, I'd love to get a look at his car. My days are pretty open right now
Old 04-13-2001 | 07:38 AM
Administrator

Re: Your car is slow?

go down to his store and ask him.. he has a NSX too

http://www.geocities.com/gshadow325/

****, I must be watching the wrong videos then! BTW, Thomas, Nice pull on that VR4 that you posted a little while ago. I noticed that you wripped through 1st pretty quick, but got kinda bogged down in second. Did you shift too early, or did you not engage 2nd gear quickly enough? Just curious is all.

For anybody who know's Steve in Phily, I'd love to get a look at his car. My days are pretty open right now
Old 04-13-2001 | 07:39 AM

Sprnt-Doh! Shhhhh.... that was a bug error huh?

DaveB-Wow, so at e-town we are below sea level?! The B-pressure is usually around 32 everytime i go there. I guess that is dman good then.

Sx7r-Thomas, yea your car is slow. Wait a sec, i can beat it now! hehehe. Get the new clutch yet?

Always remember, i'm slow so if anyone sees me, dont race me.
Old 04-13-2001 | 08:08 AM

Re: Your car is slow?

that wasn't bogging in 2nd, that was spin, spin, spin, spin.. oh, and finally we get traction. lol
Old 06-23-2002 | 12:19 PM

Ok, I know this is about a year old post, but after a year is there anyone now that has hit 14.9 auto n/a? I searched the 1/4 mile forums but no luck.
Old 06-23-2002 | 03:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Ok, I know this is about a year old post, but after a year is there anyone now that has hit 14.9 auto n/a? I searched the 1/4 mile forums but no luck.
I may will not hit 14.9 at the elevation that im at but, I think i will break 15.9 once i get my VI and UD pulley plus lighter wheels put on, and once you do the conversion for sea level that is like a 14.7-14.8, Im at 5830 feet, i have hit 16.52 (15.2-15.3 sea level) with the mods in sig but i had my heavy 17's when i ran.
Ryan
Old 06-23-2002 | 04:05 PM
pro

Since on subject, where can I get the VB mod and a torque converter?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-23-2002 | 05:04 PM

I'm almost there.

VI should bring me down a bit.
Old 06-25-2002 | 02:03 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
to answer your question...yes, I have run several 14.9's. I plan to hopefully lower that soon with the variable intake whenever I can get some money to order it.
Old 06-25-2002 | 02:23 PM

What's the equation to adjust for altitude?