4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard Starting Problems?????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:42 PM

Hard Starting Problems?????????

im having some hard start problems, maybe someone can help me out.
i know this question has been asked many times too, but here goes.
its starting to get cold out and i want to nip it in the bud.

my car will crank but is hard to turn over, if you just let it crank it will get to the point that it floods and white smoke starts to go out the tail pipe. even if you dont tap the gas.

i checked the coolant temp sensor, crank angle sensor on the passenger side, MAF. could this problem be the TPS getting ready to go or air temp sensor. could it also be a fuel regulation problem?

i mean some times the car starts up fine with no problem wether hot or cold and then other times the car just cranks.

the reason i thought about the TPS is because a while ago i just noticed my rpm rising and falling while at idle (5spd) and also sometimes at idle the rpm would drop down to 500 and it would feel as if the car faught to stay on. at the time i didnt really think it was a problem and i adjusted the throttle cables and the problem went away.

i put a snap on scanner on the car to see if the car was tossing any codes, i have one for a o2 sensor (its cracked) and a random miss fire. this was after the car just cranked and took a while to turn over. but that could have been from the combustion chamber being flooded. i did a test on the injectors and they were cool.

if anyone has and ideas or a similar problem let me know, thanx
Old 09-30-2004, 05:01 PM

yo i think everyone on this forum has starting problems sometimes, i do lol
is the mil light on? i honestly believe that its the fuel injectors the company that made these made them real $hitty every where i go i hear it from every one so go and try to test if they are maybe leaking
Old 10-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JDM_Maxima
im having some hard start problems, maybe someone can help me out.
i know this question has been asked many times too, but here goes.
its starting to get cold out and i want to nip it in the bud.

my car will crank but is hard to turn over, if you just let it crank it will get to the point that it floods and white smoke starts to go out the tail pipe. even if you dont tap the gas.

i checked the coolant temp sensor, crank angle sensor on the passenger side, MAF. could this problem be the TPS getting ready to go or air temp sensor. could it also be a fuel regulation problem?

i mean some times the car starts up fine with no problem wether hot or cold and then other times the car just cranks.

the reason i thought about the TPS is because a while ago i just noticed my rpm rising and falling while at idle (5spd) and also sometimes at idle the rpm would drop down to 500 and it would feel as if the car faught to stay on. at the time i didnt really think it was a problem and i adjusted the throttle cables and the problem went away.

i put a snap on scanner on the car to see if the car was tossing any codes, i have one for a o2 sensor (its cracked) and a random miss fire. this was after the car just cranked and took a while to turn over. but that could have been from the combustion chamber being flooded. i did a test on the injectors and they were cool.

if anyone has and ideas or a similar problem let me know, thanx
I've been having the same problems for the last 2 weeks. It started 2 days after I switched my transmission out. I have no idea what is causing it. Someone please help us.