4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anybody ever change their own alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 08:16 AM

My 1997 GXE died on me saturday. I was hoping it wasn't the alternator, but the car died again. I am pretty sure its the alternator. I am goint to pick up a a voltmeter and check the battery leads etc. I am running a 300 watt amp
and 55/65watt xenon bulbs. I don't think these should be a problem for the maxima alternator which I believe is rated at 90amps.
-Anybody have any problems with their alternators?
-Is changing an alternator on a 97 maxima a difficult job?
-Are their any good websites?
-How much to get fixed(parts and labor)?

Any answers would be appreciated..Thanx fellas.

-Chris
Old 04-11-2001, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by barrett58
My 1997 GXE died on me saturday. I was hoping it wasn't the alternator, but the car died again. I am pretty sure its the alternator. I am goint to pick up a a voltmeter and check the battery leads etc. I am running a 300 watt amp
and 55/65watt xenon bulbs. I don't think these should be a problem for the maxima alternator which I believe is rated at 90amps.

-Chris
Replacing the alternator is a job which may be done by the home mechanic. It is not especially difficult but will be time consuming. You will need a floor jack, a set of sturdy jackstands, and an assortment of common hand tools.

1) Make a written record of the radio station presets.

2) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3) Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands.

4) Remove the two plastic splash shields which interfere with access to the alternator.

5) Loosen the drive belt idler (tensioner) pulley and then remove the drive belt.

6) Remove the A/C compressor mounting bolts. There are four of these bolts.

7) Remove the cooling fan and fan shroud.

8) Slide the A/C compressor forward.

9) Disconnect the alternator harness connector.

10) Remove the alternator upper bolt and lower bolt.

11) Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. As the final step, use the notes made in step 1 to restore the radio station presets. Set the clock to the correct time.
Old 04-11-2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by barrett58

-Chris
PartsAmerica.com lists several remanufactured alternators for your car.

Vehicle: 1997 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE

WORLDWIDE 13284 $233.99

WORLDWIDE 13402 $240.99

BOSCH AL2374X $359.99

AUTOLITE 15844 $169.99

Each of the items above requires payment of a refundable core charge.

Their online catalog mentions an Alternator Repair Kit but says that is a special order, and the price is not shown. If you have the time and interest, you might attempt to repair your alternator rather than replace it.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only tricky part I ran into when removing the alternator is the 14mm bolt that has to be diconected from the back of the alternator. I had make like a 2ft extension just to get to the damn bolt! It is not a realy hard job but you should have a little experience under your belt before trying to do it or a lot of determantion.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:39 AM

differences in AMPs?

I was just wondering if this is true. I read it somewhere but I can't confirm it, but I read that the 4th generation Maxima's have different alternators (with different amps) depending on the trim level? I was wondering if there is any info on that.
What I read is that the GXE/ SE have a 90amp alternator while the GLE have a 105amp alternator?

I was just curious one day so I know what to get and what to expect.

Old 04-11-2001, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think they are exactly the same per year. I know that on a certain trim level you get a higher amperage battery.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:03 AM

somehow i think i heard that too...

or was it the battery. It was for the cold weather package. I immediately dismissed the sales talk becuase we dont get much snow in California.
Old 04-12-2001, 06:57 AM

battery amerage

question about the amperage of the battery. For instance if the car is on and I have all these electronic accesories on--such as headlights, foglights, stereo, on and on and on...does the amerpage of the battery matter (when the car is on and running?) or that the amps only matter when the car is not on?
Just wondering because I noticed that it seems that the lights are slightly dimmer when I have all these electronic stuff on in the car...

Originally posted by emax95
I think they are exactly the same per year. I know that on a certain trim level you get a higher amperage battery.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: battery amerage

Originally posted by humaras
question about the amperage of the battery. For instance if the car is on and I have all these electronic accesories on--such as headlights, foglights, stereo, on and on and on...does the amerpage of the battery matter (when the car is on and running?) or that the amps only matter when the car is not on?
Just wondering because I noticed that it seems that the lights are slightly dimmer when I have all these electronic stuff on in the car...
The lights are dimmer because of lower voltage, not lower amerage (current). This may mean the aggregate demands of all those accessories has overpowered the alternator and the battery is shouldering part of the load. This might be a sign of a marginal alternator. It might be the consequence of having installed an UnderDrive Pulley.

The Cranking Amperes of a battery reflect the maximum energy storage capacity of the battery. If your battery is fully charged, a larger battery means you can tolerate this heavy electrical demand for a longer time before your battery charge is depleted. If your battery has become seriously discharged it hardly matters if your battery has a maximum capability of 650 CA or 800 CA. You've got trouble.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:40 AM

another question for ya, Dan.

Thanks for that explanation. It really clear things up for me, Dan.
I have another question about this electrical thingy. I was just wondering--do you notice in your GXE that the interior lights dim slightly if you have the AC, windshield wipers, headlights, foglights, and a lot of load on. And when you lift the power window buttons to close the windows--the dome (interior lighting) dims ever so slightly? This is normal?
And I was just wondering--what kind of battery do you have in your car? is it a high CCA battery? I looked at mine--and it is 475CCA, which I assume is okay...(right?)

As for the underdrive pulley--I am not sure what that is, but I don't think I have it--since my car is stock as it can be...

thanks again, Dan!!

Brian

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The lights are dimmer because of lower voltage, not lower amerage (current). This may mean the aggregate demands of all those accessories has overpowered the alternator and the battery is shouldering part of the load. This might be a sign of a marginal alternator. It might be the consequence of having installed an UnderDrive Pulley.

The Cranking Amperes of a battery reflect the maximum energy storage capacity of the battery. If your battery is fully charged, a larger battery means you can tolerate this heavy electrical demand for a longer time before your battery charge is depleted. If your battery has become seriously discharged it hardly matters if your battery has a maximum capability of 650 CA or 800 CA. You've got trouble.
Old 04-12-2001, 11:09 AM

Re: another question for ya, Dan.

Originally posted by humaras
... do you notice in your GXE that the interior lights dim slightly if you have the AC, windshield wipers, headlights, foglights, and a lot of load on. And when you lift the power window buttons to close the windows--the dome (interior lighting) dims ever so slightly? ...
I never noticed. I'll look. My '99 GXE is a Plain Jane model, without fog lights.

And I was just wondering--what kind of battery do you have in your car? is it a high CCA battery? I looked at mine--and it is 475CCA, which I assume is okay...(right?)
I've still got the factory battery. I don't see any label on it. The factory service manual says the standard battery for USA has a rating of 356CCA. (CCA = Cold Cranking Amps.) The standard battery for Canada is 582CCA, and that battery is optional for USA.

As for the underdrive pulley--I am not sure what that is, but I don't think I have it--since my car is stock as it can be...
The UnderDrive Pulley is an aftermarket accessory. It is a replacement crankshaft pulley which has a diameter smaller than the stock pulley. This turns the accessory loads, including the alternator, at a slower speed. The UDP is favored by the go-fast crowd.
Old 04-12-2001, 11:46 AM

thanks you

thanks for the detailed explanation, Dan!!
really apprecaite it..

Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello, my first time here, i have a 2001 maxima and am replacing my alternator, theres a bracket at the top ,problem is i cant remember how it goes back on, can someone post a photo. theres also a small bracket that supports a wiring harness off the same bolt olding on the alternator, thanks in advance,
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Ummm... try posting this in the 5th gen Maxima forum, that's for the 2000 through 2003 cars.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 AM

my alternator died on my while i was driving in the middle of the street. had to pull off into a parking lot and fix it with a regular old 150pc socket kit. pita. but with the right determination i undid that rear bolt and somehow managed to pull it out through the top instead of dropping it down.