4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

upgrading: Y-pipe, front/back strut bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 AM
2060lbs and falling...

This thread has gone horribly wrong with misinformation.

1. Any of the good y-pipe manufacturers such as WS and Budget make a great unit. I'm almost positive that they are not aluminum but that doesn't matter anyway. The only reason your going to get the raspy "bees-n-a-can" is if you install improperly. If you let the flex section bend too much while your unpacking it or installing it this will loosen whatever causes the noise.

2. Personally, I'd go with a Budget cause they are reliably priced and I have one. I've installed two and I've seen many more on cars. They are very good. WS is also good but seems to have a few more problems. I would recomend getting the catman header/y thing. That design looks excessively blingy for my tastes. If it looks so good it probably doesn't perform very well. That header is not ceramic coated and therefore adds a lot of heat to the engine bay.

3. I can understand the principal of the leaf blower but there is no way that it works on many levels. A turbo or SC spins at 50K+ RPMS and only then does it develope usable boost. A sudden change in the amount of air going into the engine is going to fxck w/ all sorts of stuff. Your injectors won't be able to handle the required extra fuel. As a result, when the "blower" is switched if it could develop boost your going to blow the engine because its going to run dangerously lean. To disprove your theory lets look at the stock intake velocity. I can't recall how many cubic feet/min the engine pulls in at redline but I know its high. Lets just say that the velocity of the air entering the TB is at 50 MPH. Most blowers barely push 100MPH making a very slight increase in the amount of air entering the engine.

3. An ECU is an Engine Control Unit and it isn't the brain for the Maxima. Its the brain for all cars. To clear more misinformation, an ECU of the same year and tranny is not required when you do the upgrade. A 5Spd car will run with an auto ECU. A 96 will run with a 95.

4. You all have rediculously terrible punctuation and spelling.

5. If you want to search, donate and stop b!tching.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:36 PM

umm, the search feature wasn't workin before either, before this donating thing came up, thats why.... before it told me that i didn't have hte priviledge (how do you spell that?) to do so.

ummmmmmmmm, broaner.... did you mean to say that you wouldn't get those headers, or would you?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:45 PM

While I agree with his premises about spelling & punctuation, does anybody else here find it humorous that Broaner managed to misspell "ridiculously" in his comment above blasting everyone for having bad spelling: "4. You all have rediculously terrible punctuation and spelling."
Old 10-26-2004, 06:45 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I did that on purpose smarty. Maybe I didn't lay in the sarcasm enough.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:01 PM

And I'm just guessing that it was also sarcasm when you:

1) Used "recomend" instead of "recommend".
2) Used "catman" instead of "Cattman".
3) Used "develope" instead of "develop".
4) Used "your" instead of "you're" THREE times.
5) Used "its" instead of "it's" THREE times.
6) Used "Lets" instead of "Let's".

Enough time wasted... I won't even bother getting into the grammar.

But wait, I forgot... it was sarcasm... maybe you were actually just laying it on a bit TOO heavy

Just be sure you're perfect before you start railing everyone else. Though I'm usually relatively conscious of these issues, I'm sure most folks here aren't trying to get an 'A' on some hypothetical .org term paper. They're just trying to get their problems solved quickly.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Made in Taiwan

broaner,
i am tired of you coming into the forum and just blast spits at us when we are simply trying to help each other out. if you disagree with what have we got to say, you are welcome to correct us. We don't need your sarcasms and criticism on our "misinformation." *****!

about that ecu, of course we are only talking about maxima. the "brain in our maxima" it could mean the same to other cars. but here we are only dealing with the car that we all drive. what's with you picking bones out of an egg?

and NO, ecu's, in your airhead, may be interchangeable within tranny's and year engine's. go ahead and do one! we just did a f-cking engine transplant from a 96 auto engine to the 95 body. it's a 96 auto tranny-engine with a 95 auto tranny ecu, hell no it won't work. first, there is something with the new emission wiring that the 96 has and it doesn't correspond to the 95 ecu. we had the mechanic by-pass and reroute some pluggins. also, the cel came on the whole time. we erased the codes, and it comes back right away. you may have been successful, but not us. so am i misinforming deadman by saying what i said earlier? hell no. if just proved my $hit in practice. i can say whatever i experienced. and what have you done? talking $hit in theory.
and Hell no again. the people in the nissan service shop told me that i cannot use the auto ecu on a manual tranny. though i didn't and will not be dumb enough to waste money to prove this, i take what the service shops say. not you. why would i listen to your crap and get something, then find out that it didn't work? are "you" going to refund whatever went wrong based on your "perfect" advice? wtf?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Made in Taiwan

and deadman, you can get the rstb much cheaper. go ahead and buy the 96 sentra both front and rear strut tower bars from ebay. you can take the bar from the fstb and the brackets from the rstb, and voila, there goes your maxima rstb. i have one, but i dont' feel it make a difference in handling. if you want to handle, go for the rear sway bar. i am fixing to put one on. good luck...
Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 PM

Oh they have a fstb on there, for like 9 bucks, + 16 shipping/handling if i recall properly. Its the sway bar that they didn't have.

Hehe, on my first post at the org, i got told for spelling and grammar too, lol. I treat all forums like chatting, no grammar/spelling rules apply, but oh well. Wow, this reminds me of my lit class, I for some reason find that funny. Guys calm down, lol, I just want to find what I want for the best price available, and maybe learn a couple of things in the process so that i can help at the org aswell.

I think i posted a link to the fstb on ebay earlier, its the 38th post.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Made in Taiwan

deadman, it's good that you are posting for help on this forum. me and my two younger brothers are all maxima enthusiasts. before we buy any major mods, we too search on the forum alot to learn more about them. when we first post some threads, we were blown-at by many "wiseguys" who can't help but add a few drops of gasoline into the burning fire. they will never quit, and that's when a post becomes a useless battlefield. some guys in the previous replies has posted this already. but i'll give it to you again. this link is very useful when you need help:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php

it does many comparisons on the modding pieces. you can use this to start everything. make sure you learn your stuff well before coming to post another thread. "wiseguys" will blow at you if your question is too weak to stand a point, especially if they think you didn't search hard enough.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 PM
My Maxima thinks your Maxima is HOT!

Deadman (post 35) :why is it bend like that in the header? won't that like restrict the air flow? why didn't they merge that pipe that goes round, into the pipe directly, like they did in the y-pipe below that. or make it so that the y-pipe and the headers could be bought separately...

To maximize performance, properly designed and tested headers like Cattman's have that bend so that the exhaust travels the same distance from the manifolds to the "Y" junction. Also, you'll notice that the manifolds themselves are longer and closer to the same length, with less restrictions than OEM for the same reason. Finally, I believe they are ceramic coated on the inside to ensure reduced friction flow.

I'd love to have this product for myself (great reviews) but for $700USD is out of my range.

If guys are more concerned about your speeellig than answering your questions, my advice is to PM the guys who are willing to help. Make sure you do your research and memorize the stickies so you can ask worthwhile questions.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:46 AM

Sorry guys, I finally read up on the y-pipes at http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php (this site is awesome!) and have decided that I'm gonna go with the budget. how do i order from them? call 'em up? cause i can't find a way of ordering online.

-thanks again guys, appreciate it
Old 10-27-2004, 07:16 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Calling is required to order from Budget.

Alright guys point taken. I just find it quite irritating when every sentence is blurred into the next one. It makes me want to not read or respond to any of the thread. This was a prime example. Dude wants to know about different products and people inform him in a blurred paragraph thats a PITA to read. I understand where you guys are coming from though.

cyu1, I find it interesting that you believe a service tech that does everything by the book. Of course the FSM and their training is going to inspire them to put only the exactly correct parts on a car. I know for a fact that a 5Spd will run with an auto ECU. I also know that 95 and 96 cars are identical in manners respecting the ECU. The only reason the ECU didn't work was because of the tranny thus proving my original statement. The auto ECU will work with a 5spd. Yes, it will throw codes but that doesn't effect the car in any way besides having that anoying light in the gauge cluster.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Made in Taiwan

alright broaner, we can settle this right here. i don't want to have personal issues against anyone. so i'll apologize first about my come back at you. i ain't mean anything harmful, just trying to help those that don't know much about their mods.
and about this ecu thing. "yes" for it will fit like you say, onto different specs. but "no" because lights come on. and because the lights come on in the cluster, that's considered "no" for the whole purpose of swapping ecu's. "no" they will not work.
i dont have more to say to this. maybe to you it's ok to drive with the engine light on, but i wouldn't do so.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Made in Taiwan

and deadman,
call jody at budget exhaust. ordering thru email will get you up to months before you get anything. here is the number: 905.681.4579
when you get to talk to jody, you can tell her that you are also inquiring about the promotional free testpipe that they give you for ordering the y-pipe. of course it's up to your options whether or not to install that test pipe. be careful, it will not get you to pass the emissions test in the state inspection. also turn off your engine when a cop pulls you over. don't let him smell your exhaust gas full of co2's. it'll cost you a fortune for the fine.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:45 PM

also turn off your engine when a cop pulls you over. don't let him smell your exhaust gas full of co2's. it'll cost you a fortune for the fine.
Thats with the test pipe rite? Whats the test pipe for? Any gains?

And that fstb on ebay sound good rite? Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591
Old 10-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Made in Taiwan

deadman, that bar is aluminum. i'm not saying aluminum isn't any good, but if i were you, i'd go with ones made of stainless steel. stainless steel has better overall stength and properties than the aluminums. only down side is that stainless steel is about twice heavier than the aluminums. that one you got in the link is ok, but i would pay 10 more bucks and get a stainless steel. again, the choice is up to you. you are the boss.

and that is co2 with the test pipe. it replaces the catalytic converter, causing pollution to the air that we breathe. if cops know about this, they'll ticket you big time. and about gains, i really don't notice much. it's more or less a placebo effectto me. our stock catatlyic converter is pretty big, the way i look at it, i don't think there is much noticeable gains from it. you can take one from budget since it's free. but it's your choice of installation. the only cases i heard of good gains of installing a test pipe is for turbo cars. those cars can benefit much more gains from this mod.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:48 PM

no, im an environmentalist, and anyways, im not planning to get turbo, so i have no use for it. But i'll take it none the less, it is free after all.

as for the strut bar, how about aluminum alloy? Is aluminum and aluminum alloy the same thing?

-thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Made in Taiwan

that's exactly what i am referring to. aluminum cannot be pure itself in that bar you get. it's an alloy, we just shorten it up by saying aluminum. anyway. get stainless steel. ten bucks and your tensile strength increase by hundred's.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:36 PM

Thanks alot guys. I had some more questions:

HEADLIGHTS:
I didn't wanna start a new thread, i mite, i dunno, but i'll post here and see if i get any response. OK, here goes. Oh yea, btw, sorry if this annoys anyone of you, but i really have no clue wht im doing here. i read the how to's and couldn't find anything on this....
Whts this 9004 and 9007 headlight thing? Is it a kind of Bulb?
I wanna do wht he did in this forum rite here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=350366 , but have no clu wht they talkin about... how do you get projectors? Whts the light thats beside the headlight called? Is that the corner light, if not, wht do you call it? I was wondering, how do you clear that out, or do i have to buy new ones?
Whts a housing?
I wanna do somthing like this: http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/eagle_eyes.htm , on the last row of pics, in the middle one, see how the projecter is beaming thru the angel eyes, i wanna have it somthing like that. Now, im really confused here about HID and projector lights... i don't know wht to ask, afraid that i mite be flamed at, lol.... so im gonna holdon and see wht response i get.... the other things i wanted to talk about was the flip up trunk, and the amplifier rack. But im gonna hold off on that till i get these Headlight questions figured out

-thanks y'all

EDIT: one more thing, wht does it mean when they say, 'dyno'? and, where can i get the stainless steel fstb for 10 bucks more?