4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does TS/JWT ECU advance the timing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:23 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Does TS/JWT ECU advance the timing?

I'm asking you guys. I have heard all the speculation concerning the issue. I don't care about speculation. I want to know the facts. Do these companies actually advance the timing on their ECU reprograms? I'm sure a call to the company will result in them saying they do. I'm curious because I've been looking into SAFC's. I know that they are meant to be fuel controllers. If TS or JWT doesn't advance the timing there is no point in getting a reprogrammed ECU. Is this correct or am I missing some other aspect that these companies change besides the A/F? Obviously I don't car about the redline. What I would love to see is data from someone that has an OBDII reader and a reprogrammed ECU. If there is anyone that has both of these, is the ignition timing advanced at all? I'd seriously consider an SAFC because its cheaper and adjustable.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Hooooooonda.....

If the SAFC did everything that the ECU does don't you think more people would use that instead of the ECU?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I got 28 degrees of timing at just before 7K in 2nd gear with my JWT. I believe the stock is around 24 degrees at 6.5K
Old 10-27-2004, 06:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by slammed95
S-AFC is nearly useless for N/A.
Is this for 4th gens or car's in general?

Reason I ask is because SR20DEN got significant gains from his on his 5.5g SAFC
Old 10-27-2004, 06:59 AM
2060lbs and falling...

SAFC is useless for NA cars? I'm very grateful of your opinions but... As I said, I don't care about extended redline and I don't care about removing the speed limiter seeing as I have a GLE. So the only things that I can think of that would be changed in a reprogram are fuel maps and Ignition timing. SAFC does one of those. If you look at the dyno on my homepage you will see that it is very rich in the upper rev band. An SAFC could lean it out no? This would be a substaintial gain in power, no?

Thanks for the data Mike. That is quite interesting. What is the timing at 6.5K on the JWT? If they extend the redline it would make sense that they just extend the timing. As you climb higher the timing advances. Is the 28degree at 7K just an extension of 24degree at 6.5k. I would agree that the stock timing is about 24. I pull that if I hold it in gear.

Dave, what else does the ECU do that the SAFC doesn't?

BTW, last night I was neglecting that a Wideband o2 would be required to get any large worthwhile gains out of it. So, really the price is the same but the adjustability is nice. Can you easily switch from one fuel map to another with these controllers? If so I can see having two or three saved fuel maps. Stock, Street and Track. Stock would be nice to have in the odd occasion that reverting back would be required for emissions or some BS. Street would be the daily driving map. Track would just be ***** out dangerously lean. Is this switching easily done with the module or am I dreaming?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

A couple of things. Where did the dyno shop get your AF readings...at the tail pipe or did they use one of the the o2 sensor bungs on the y-pipe? I have been told my many, and even the place where I dynoed that reading at the tail pipe if you have a cat can give inaccurate readings.

Also, your AF isn't that bad. A little rich in the mid range but that is normal for the stock maping.

My 28 degrees was not at 7K it was more like around 6.7-6.8 IIRC
Old 10-28-2004, 11:25 PM
2060lbs and falling...

The o2 isn't very accurate because it was with a tail probe. I know thats not the best way to measure but really that would mean I'm more rich that that. As the exhaust comes right out of the head it sometimes still burns in the exhaust system. Correct? If this is true then taking a measurement two feet from the end of the tailpipe means that there are like 8 feet and a cat to allow the unburnt fuel to continue burning. Thus the sensor is reading the final value but realistically A/F is even more rich as it comes out of the head.

I know my A/F isn't much to be worried about but I'd love to be able to have an SAFC if the results would be equal to a TS ECU.