4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question about upper intake manifold ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Broaner
I would definitely not trust Stillen to do this. Especially seeing as ExtroneHone pioneered the technique. You guys really think it would be benificial to only do the upper? I remember over two years ago when someone did this. They did the upper and got some gains. They then did the lower and gains were substaintial. I would be very interested because I don't like the idea of having to deal with Vaccum lines and RPM switches. I don't mind the work that is involved w/ installing a VI but it seems that transformation of the engine is dramatic. I don't think I'd like it. Not to mention slightly less reliability. I really like the torquey characteristics of the USIM. What are the gains of this upper EH'ing? Are they only up top? Does it hurt down low at all? I'd be very interested if it was for $500 but not at this time. Tranny must come first.

you can do upper and lower but again look at price. and the lower intake manifold part is pretty straight you can probally clean that up yourself. there is a dyno in one of the links provided on the 1st page. it was about 11 peak whp. also peak power was mobed freom 5500 rpm to 5900rpm.

what i think we could do is see how many people would be interested and then setup a deadline for when they should have their money and intake mannifold . So this would give everyone time to get the money and also allow for more people to be included in the GB. i think if we could get 20 people they may do it fo $400 and at that price it is very affordable to most people in here. i would guess there should be atleast 20 99 guys alone who would be interested.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:26 AM

i would like to give credit to Dave B for gathering this information on Keven97SE Extrude Honed Manifold.

Keven97SE was the guy. I clearly remember him doing a before and after dyno and the difference in power was quite noticable for such a simple mod. Here's one of his posts, but the dyno plot nor the power numbers are shown.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...trude+hone+dyno

Here's his post in the dyno section (192whp/200wtq):

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...threadid=135169

Here's a post where he discusses some of his gains and the 8-10whp he saw above 5000rpms:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...trude+hone+dyno

Keven was never really happy with the manifold because it only gave him a peak gain of 5whp, the what I saw was a manifold that made 5-10whp/wtq at nearly every rpm plus the manifold was actually able to breath an extra 400rpms with peak power occuring at ~5900rpms instead of 5400-5500rpms. I wish I could see the dyno plot again, but Keven sold his car in early this year and he hasn't posted since 3/04. I sent him an email asking to send me the plot.

Here's Extrudehone's price list. It's a little confusing on what they consider "V6". The price could be any where from $400 to 650 depending on how they'd classify our intake manifold. You only want to send the upper because there is little to be gained in the lower.
2000-3500rpms: small gains of around 1-2whp/wtq
3500-4000rpms: gain of 3-10whp/wtq
4200-5200rpms: gain of 4-12whp/wtq
5200-6500rpms: gain of 5whp/wtq

From 3900-4300rpms there is the typical drop in power where the gains aren't terribly good, however with the JWT ECU, this drop in power disappears. So it would be safe to say you will see more power in this area with the ECU in place.

One thing I never caught before was the correction factors of the dyno. The before dyno had a .99CF (63 dgrees, 29.66 baro), but the after dyno had a much higher 1.05CF due to excessive heat (97 degrees) and low baro pressure (29.10). High correction factors can influence dyno gains and make it appear that there is more power there than there really is. Of course seeing that the conditions were so hot, his car was most likely heat soaked also and a little down on power so it may all even out.

here is a copy of the dyno graph
Old 11-12-2004, 11:33 AM

these were keven97SE's mods at time of dyno
Dyno'd in '99 with the following mods:
Cattman CAI, Cattman JetHot ypipe, RT cat, custom cat-back (2.5" cat-back piping, Edelbrock muffler), Extrude Honed intake manifold
Old 11-12-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by zack342
these were keven97SE's mods at time of dyno
Dyno'd in '99 with the following mods:
Cattman CAI, Cattman JetHot ypipe, RT cat, custom cat-back (2.5" cat-back piping, Edelbrock muffler), Extrude Honed intake manifold
Well post those results in a new thread in the group deal forum and make a nother post in the 4th gen forum bringing guys to the group deal thread

-matt
Old 11-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Old Maxima Legend

just getting back to the thread, this looks good to me. my deal is i will be using a upper intake manifold off a 96 model i think , it may be a 95. Why dont we set up a group deal, give a price list, put up the dyno/results from keven97se, and list what needs to be done to the upper intake manifold before each person sends them in.

Example:
Before you ship
Clean all grease, oil, gasket material and sealant from the part. Remove all studs and bolts from the part — all bolt holes should be clear. Extrude Hone will not be responsible for broken bolts or studs. Include your name, street address and daytime telephone number. Note: UPS will not deliver to a P.O. Box. Also include a packing slip indicating exactly what you have shipped and if gasket matching is to be done, indicate what gasket you will be using. Wrap the part in plastic and pack into a well padded box. Extrude Hone can not accept COD shipments. Prices listed DO NOT include return shipping charges.

i believe that will apply to us