4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 max se.. Changed ECTS still hard to start in cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

95 max se.. Changed ECTS still hard to start in cold

I was wondering i changed the engine coolant temp sensor on my car thinking that it would be why i have to give my car gas when i leave it outside in the cold or else it will stahl. If i leave it in the garage its fine. Everytime i leave it outside overnight it always does this and i end up giving it gas it ALWAYS starts it has never not started when i havnt given it gas. What could the problem be ? Ive talked to people at autozone they said its the MAF sensor ? I guess i should try and check it. But i get no check engine light and there are no stored codes so i cant figure this out. Also when i start it for the first time it will always start normal with out giving it any gas. I think my dad tried it yesterday and he noticed that the throttle body wasnt touching the stop screw or whatever it was it was a little bit far away from it. So he put a little rubber thing on there just temporarily to see if it started up and he said it did. But what would that mean that i have to do get it fixed? Please help me
Old 11-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I would highly doubt its the MAF.

I don't remember if you already cleaned out the throttle body and IACV (you keep switching threads!)

Can you describe hard to start - does it crank a lot before firing up, or fires up and keeps dying unless you give it some gas?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:52 AM

lol sorry ive cleaned EVERYTHING! I took the IACV off and cleaned it was a bit dirty but not clogged or anything. Throttle body was cleaned. It fires up and keeps dying unless you give it some gas
Old 11-12-2004, 03:11 PM

any help ?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Team Ramrod

i have the same problem with my car... i have no clue what it could be, but if anybody can help me id appreciate it
Old 11-12-2004, 04:04 PM

I dont see how giving it gas makes a difference, on our cars which are fuel injected your not giving the car gas...
It may be your battey that is not holding enough of a charge when its cold. It will start when the ambient temperature isnt too cold but once it gets cold outside it wont crank. Thats what happened to me.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
I dont see how giving it gas makes a difference, on our cars which are fuel injected your not giving the car gas...
I have a question about this: If you press the accelerator, why does it matter that the car is fuel injected - doesn't the ECU determine fuel delivery based on the throttle position (among other things)... and assuming that the ECU doesn't give more fuel, does pressing the accelrator at start-up result in more air being allowed into the intake manifold? Just trying to figure out what exactly is happening. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:14 PM

exactly and it lets fuel out so if your engine is flooded, pressing the accelerator will dissipate the fuel. Its the opposite of a carburated engine.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:30 PM

well what should i do about fixing it ? It is likely its 1 or more fuel injectors right ? Or even a fuel filter ? I had the battery tested at autozone and they said it was good.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Custom User Title

Ummmmm I dont think the injectors acually throw out fuel unless the engine is rotating, engine not rotating, you sit there pumping the gas, it won't do anything.

If they were, you would hear the injectors while pumping the gas.

But anyways I changed my ignition switch and all of my starting problems went away.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:38 PM

all i have to do is tap the gas pedal once when i have this problem and it will start right up.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:40 PM

the engine does start up... The rpms go up to 1500 and drop down to 0 and stahls unless i give the gas pedal a tap.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I know you already cleaned out the IACV, but it still seems to me like the IACV or one of its solenoids is sticking shut... the reason I say this is if the fuel injectors are not delivering fuel when you pump the gas, then the only thing you are doing is altering the amout of air right?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:56 PM

i guess i just tap my foot on the gas pedal is the engine starts up and its all good.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:09 PM

same problem... here are some ideas...

Originally Posted by DcMaN
the engine does start up... The rpms go up to 1500 and drop down to 0 and stahls unless i give the gas pedal a tap.
Like several others in the forum, i'm getting the same thing. But i noticed it only happens in the cold weather. Warm weather, car starts up nicely.

But yea, car will start - no problem. But stayin that way is different story. It'll go up to 1.5 or so then die unless i feed it some gas...

Here are some things to consider:
1) spark plug type and age. (i'm running bosch +4 which i put in like 2 months ago. not recommended by other .orgers tho. Go with NGK if u have done so. I might change mines if problem continues)
2) fuel filter - haven't changed mines yet, but i hope it'll help.
3)someone said they changed the ignition and that helped them. My ignition is brand spankin new from dealer (3-4months old), so i doubt that's it.

let me know what u guys find out...
Old 11-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your cold idle circuit may not be working or adjusted correctly.

There is a plunger on the throttle body, it's down under it, twards the left slightly. Follow the linkage. That plunger pushes on the throttle linkage and opens the throttle plate slightly when the engine is cold. (your tap on the gas) The plunger may not be working, or the linkage may not be adjusted correctly. There is a scribe mark on that linkage that should line up with a mark on the follower at specific temperatures. The Haynes manual has pictures of this and explaines how the cold idle circuit is adjusted.

Thats probably whats causing your cold starting issue. Once you get the engine running by tapping on the gas, the IACV takes over and keeps it running for you. The cold idle circuit is supposed to have the throttle plate already open slightly for the initial startup when your engine is cold.

Get the Haynes shop manual and go through the adjustment process and I can almost guarantee your car will start correctly when it's cold.

If the cold idle plunger is not working, the only fix is to replace the throttle body. That part is not sold seperately by Nissan.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Finally the REAL njm comes through for us! Thats great info... I always thought one of the two solenoids on the IACV-AAC assembly did the cold-start ... one is the fast-idle (for A/C, power-steering etc.) whats the other solenoid for then? I need to go and my Haynes... will have to wait till bedtime...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:44 PM

how much will a new throttle body run me ? ANd where could i find one if needed ?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
It may be your battey that is not holding enough of a charge when its cold. It will start when the ambient temperature isnt too cold but once it gets cold outside it wont crank. Thats what happened to me.
wasnt the battery or the alternator
Old 11-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Your cold idle circuit may not be working or adjusted correctly.

There is a plunger on the throttle body, it's down under it, twards the left slightly. Follow the linkage. That plunger pushes on the throttle linkage and opens the throttle plate slightly when the engine is cold. (your tap on the gas) The plunger may not be working, or the linkage may not be adjusted correctly. There is a scribe mark on that linkage that should line up with a mark on the follower at specific temperatures. The Haynes manual has pictures of this and explaines how the cold idle circuit is adjusted.

Thats probably whats causing your cold starting issue. Once you get the engine running by tapping on the gas, the IACV takes over and keeps it running for you. The cold idle circuit is supposed to have the throttle plate already open slightly for the initial startup when your engine is cold.

Get the Haynes shop manual and go through the adjustment process and I can almost guarantee your car will start correctly when it's cold.

If the cold idle plunger is not working, the only fix is to replace the throttle body. That part is not sold seperately by Nissan.
finally someone has a real answer, thanks a lot man... ill take a look at that tomorrow
Old 11-14-2004, 01:30 PM

hmm ok i put fuel injector cleaner in my car a few days ago when i filled my tank up with 93 . Now the problem im having is random i havnt got to check the thing on the throttle body but im just wondering why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. This morning i went to record a video to show you guys and it started right up. So i figured its not worth it bring the camera inside and went to start it up (with in 5 minutes of starting it the first time) so the engine was still cold and it started doing that thing ago rpms go up drop down and it stahls and a noise from the starter i guess that high pitch squeeling. So maybe just my started needs to be greased up and cleaned. I really have no idea but i am going to look into this throttle body thing tonight.