4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Analysis Results: to Jeff or Bill

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very informative.

"Comments for 92 Maxima Amsoil 5W/30 oil analysis at 120,000 miles from Blackstone Labs:"

One thing, did this test say that the 5w30 oil was being stressed literally before recommending dropping back to 4000?

Please explain what Oil Analysis told you guys and what the test results meant to each of you.

Thanks for the spreadsheet.
Old 04-18-2001, 03:45 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

deezo....

Originally posted by deezo
Very informative.

"Comments for 92 Maxima Amsoil 5W/30 oil analysis at 120,000 miles from Blackstone Labs:"

One thing, did this test say that the 5w30 oil was being stressed literally before recommending dropping back to 4000?

Please explain what Oil Analysis told you guys and what the test results meant to each of you.

Thanks for the spreadsheet.
Glad you found it useful......

Here is the first thread I posted on this with some general statements:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=30389

Overall:

- Oil filters don't seem to get "stressed" until 10k, whether Nissan OEM/Toyota VE30DE cross-reference/Mobile 1.

- Mobile 1 lasts 10k easy

- ULX-110 (highly refined dino oil) lasts at least 8k, but needs changing after 10k (although I do suspect a filter change at 5k would easily allow it to last the full 10k)

- Seems that dino oils are more dependent on filter changes than synthetics are (i.e. synthetic oils are 'cleaner' from the beginning)

- Amsoil probably will go 25k on nothing more than a filter change at 12k and 1 quart of make up oil.

- Shing drives too much.

- Jeff's mystery coolant problem is still a relative mystery.

There are more details provided by Blackstone about Jeff's oil, but the sheet he gave me had the rest of the comments on the next page, so I couldn't put those additional comments in.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's my analysis Deezo. It could also be the way I sampled the oil. I didn't really have a good way of getting a good sample for testing w/o draining all the oil out. I have 120k on my maxima. It didn't see synthetics until 75k(when I bought it) This was my first analysis and it was more to see if I was having head gasket problems(ie..coolant in the oil) than really the other stuff. But I was suprised at the results(no coolant but they seem to think the oil was stressed) I'm gonna change out the oil and test again at 4k or so just to see the results.

Hey it looks like you read the links. Now if that convinces you to switch fine. If not, also fine. Just so that you make an educated guess, that's all.

I believe Bill might be able to hook you up on Amsoil if that's your choice. But the testing shows that Mobil 1 is also very good oil(and is available locally)

Now THIS is a dicussion correct!? hehe.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:43 PM

I think when I have my brakes installed, I'll have a talk with my mechanic to see if he has a way to recycle the oil. Now seeing that the tests showed that the 5w30 will have to be changed at 4000mi in Jeff's car, it can be different for other Maximas with different mileages, right. Also how much oil is needed to get good test results. I would like to see what my engine is doing to the oil. I put 30000 miles on my car this past year in all climates running an average of 78 MPH and I am at 70000 now. Bill we may have to talk soon about the getting some oil.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:32 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

deezo

Originally posted by deezo
I think when I have my brakes installed, I'll have a talk with my mechanic to see if he has a way to recycle the oil. Now seeing that the tests showed that the 5w30 will have to be changed at 4000mi in Jeff's car, it can be different for other Maximas with different mileages, right. Also how much oil is needed to get good test results. I would like to see what my engine is doing to the oil. I put 30000 miles on my car this past year in all climates running an average of 78 MPH and I am at 70000 now. Bill we may have to talk soon about the getting some oil.
I think Jeff's car is the exception rather than the rule about sampling because he was/is consuming oil. A BIG disclaimer for doing extended oil change intervals is that you don't consume oil. My 94 with a VG engine doesn't consume a drop and neither does the VQ in my 99, which is why I chose Amsoil rather than Mobile 1. That, and the laziness factor involved and proving to everyone that Amsoil can be lab-proven to run for 25k intervals with only one filter change.

The main problem with Amsoil is availability. You can't just get it at Autozone. The best way is to be an Amsoil Preferred Customer. "got rice?" hooked me up with this program and he is my 'sponsor', which means he gets credit for this.

More specific info is available here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=398

Honestly, I would go to Wally-world and get a gallon of Mobile 1 for $18 (helluva deal) and go 12k oil intervals with a 6k oil filter change with something such as Purolator, AC Delco, or Mobile 1 oil filters, or until its lab provent that Mobile 1 can go 15k between changes (which is what I suspect).

As for analysis:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

is what I've used and have been impressed with. An analysis costs $20 and they'll send you the sample container and instructions.

Taking a sample isn't a big deal. Just do it while the oil is draining out (wait about 5 seconds after getting the plug out). Most importantly, the oil has to be warm so that everything that is in your engine is properly suspended within the oil. Otherwise, your sample won't be right.....
Old 04-19-2001, 08:10 AM

Re: deezo

Originally posted by bill99gxe

I think Jeff's car is the exception rather than the rule about sampling because he was/is consuming oil. A BIG disclaimer for doing extended oil change intervals is that you don't consume oil. My 94 with a VG engine doesn't consume a drop and neither does the VQ in my 99, which is why I chose Amsoil rather than Mobile 1. That, and the laziness factor involved and proving to everyone that Amsoil can be lab-proven to run for 25k intervals with only one filter change.

The main problem with Amsoil is availability. You can't just get it at Autozone. The best way is to be an Amsoil Preferred Customer. "got rice?" hooked me up with this program and he is my 'sponsor', which means he gets credit for this.

More specific info is available here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=398

Honestly, I would go to Wally-world and get a gallon of Mobile 1 for $18 (helluva deal) and go 12k oil intervals with a 6k oil filter change with something such as Purolator, AC Delco, or Mobile 1 oil filters, or until its lab provent that Mobile 1 can go 15k between changes (which is what I suspect).

As for analysis:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

is what I've used and have been impressed with. An analysis costs $20 and they'll send you the sample container and instructions.

Taking a sample isn't a big deal. Just do it while the oil is draining out (wait about 5 seconds after getting the plug out). Most importantly, the oil has to be warm so that everything that is in your engine is properly suspended within the oil. Otherwise, your sample won't be right.....
Thanks.