4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

are reverse glow gauges easily noob installable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are reverse glow gauges easily noob installable?

i want to get reverse glow gauges for my 96, but knowing little about cars, im not sure if this is the right time to do it. i know my way around a screwdriver and computer hardware, but im not sure, even after having read the stickies, faqs, howtos, et cetera, if this is something im capable of doing.

additionally, how does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

thanks!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:01 AM

well, its easy but not worth it.

you have to be careful NOT to f the needle, because the littlest thing that screw them up. i know that tried before and while on, they never worked and the needles rubbed against the gauges, making in accurate readings, which is horrible

also, the gauges control box had a horribly high pitch noise from it.

finally, after i took the gauges off 2 hours later, the rpm needle never recovered, resulting in, to this day, a sticky rpm needle on start up.

and wow, ironically enough, those are the exact gauges from the same seller.

so, id say no. sorry. i know they are cool with white and all, i have black too, but dont do it man.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:18 AM

^^like what he said. Is better to get an extra gauge, just incase you mess up. I thought about changing the layout, but if things go wrong. It will be a pain if the rpm, speed, mileage and fuel meter messes up.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:23 AM

its really easy, me and my pops did it, all it is is pulling pieces off of the dash
Old 12-10-2004, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by WillMax95
its really easy, me and my pops did it, all it is is pulling pieces off of the dash

yeah what he said ^ . that was actually one of my first modds i did as a noobie
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 AM

I wouldn't do it.. The risk of screwing up your guages and them not being correct is a 50/50 chance I rather not take..

Swap in a SE cluster in there, they look better anyways
Old 12-10-2004, 08:30 AM

Ya I did it thinking it would be a cake job but I thought everything was perfect until I started finding sticky spots and stuff then I realized my RPM's were about 800rpms too high so my fuel cuts somewere around 7000 I think but my car idles at like 1600 So im just gunna get another set of SE gauges and put in the colored LED's
Old 12-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Rollin' on 'Caps

I'm with the guys that messed up their gauges trying to install the gauge faces

I just ended up getting a (white) SE gauge cluster and put LEDs behind it after I messed up my stock GXE cluster. I, too, pulled off the needles and never got them to calibrate right, and they were "sticky" afterwards too like jackiss2888 said. When all was said and done, I think the cluster with LEDs looks better anyway (I just spent more money getting there)

I started a new thread about this a long while back and someone told me to skip the gauge faces and just get an SE gauge cluster, I wish I would've listened...
Old 12-10-2004, 09:47 AM

It was the first thing I did...really easy, and you dont screw up your gauges unless you are stupid! DO IT!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Yea, defintely just get the SE faces or something and swap out the lights or put leds in there. Not worth the hastle and good chance screwing them up. Messing with the needles can lead to huge problems. There is no second option once you screwed with the needles.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:55 PM

First, My Maxima got stolen last year from my college campus but I still remember how its done cause this was my very first modd...
Hey its really not that hard...and you can do it if ur careful. Here are somethings to keep in mind. Dont use excessive force on anything!! First, remove the panel under the steering. I believe this is held by two screws (one on each side). Second You need to remove the upper plastic piece which is held by 4 screws. Now you are ready to remove the trim around the gauges. These are two (i believe) that hold it in place. Now you have access to the gauge cluster. To remove it, you will need to remove the screws (3 or so) and carefully slide it out. BE CAREFULL u dont want to crack the plastic. Its strong but still be careful. Unplug the connectors in the back and take the cluster to the living room (or another comfy place). This is a good time to grab a beer and watch a favorite episode cause the hard part begins. I also installed those chome rings some dude was selling in the group buy section. You need to remove the five or so black screws behind the cluster to remove the plastic panel for the rings. Once you have access to the needles (after removing the whole assembly), you need to mark down where your needles are. Take a piece of paper and record where you fuel needle is. (I didnt and my max always showed a full tank of gas). People that have sticking tach needles dont adhere the indiglow gauges to the original gauges. What i did was that i didnt take the needles off or the stock SE gauge face. I carefully slided the reverse indiglow gauges over the existing gauges (through the hole in the middle) and used double sided 3M tape to keep it in place. I tapped into the dimmer switch for the wiring and i dont remember the wire i tapped into (blue i think). Ok...i probably scared you enough about the install...but really its not that bad and takes about 45 min. here's my 2 cent...good luck and if u need help feel free to ASK!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 PM

i did it myself after watching someone else do it and i really dont suggest you do it yourself
Old 12-12-2004, 01:00 AM

very easy to do, but may take some time. the PITA is so slide the new dials on top of the existing ones.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 AM

its really not that bad, I think people overrate how hard it is, the biggest thing is the right posititioning of double sided tape, and to make sure the needles to not stick at all just take some sand paper and sand down the needles back side where they might actually rub over the new guagues and you will never have a problem at all. And if you really just do not want to do this mod, you could always get some led replacement bulbs for the stock bulbs. Id recommend these from superbrightleds.com if you have the 194 socket in the back of your gauge cluster. They are the new type of 194's and I believe they spread the light the best, plus come in a variety of colors.... done done and done.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/store.../t10-green.jpg
Old 12-12-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
its really not that bad, I think people overrate how hard it is, the biggest thing is the right posititioning of double sided tape, and to make sure the needles to not stick at all just take some sand paper and sand down the needles back side where they might actually rub over the new guagues and you will never have a problem at all.

wow. def do not sand down your needles, thats just asking to fucck something up.

and its not hard at all, just 50/50 of it working, read mine above again.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by jackiss2888
wow. def do not sand down your needles, thats just asking to fucck something up.

and its not hard at all, just 50/50 of it working, read mine above again.

no way, as long as you press down on the needle while sanding it to make sure it dosnt move it will be ok, just dont be abusive with it like its a bottle waiting to be drank
Old 12-12-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
And if you really just do not want to do this mod, you could always get some led replacement bulbs for the stock bulbs. Id recommend these from superbrightleds.com if you have the 194 socket in the back of your gauge cluster. They are the new type of 194's and I believe they spread the light the best, plus come in a variety of colors.... done done and done.
to do this id just follow the directions on websiteX to get to the gauges, but then just plug and play a different color LED in the back of the cluster?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 PM
tastey wheat

for a 95-97, i think the 194 bulbs are plug and play, yes
Old 12-13-2004, 05:49 AM

worked with gauges before, never had a needle **** up on me
Old 12-13-2004, 06:13 AM

It's not bad at all. I did this myself fairly easily. The key is to not let the needles come off completely. Make sure you use plenty of double-sided tape and don't worry about damaging the guages by bending them too much. Bend them as much as you need to get them around the needles, they'll be fine.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:15 AM
My heroine

guages are cake.. there's no need to remove any needles to get the guages on...

if you're doing indiglo needles, I coudl see you messing up where the needles sit, but the guages just slide over without removing anything.. almost no way to mess it up as long as you take your time..
Old 12-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Originally Posted by sook
to do this id just follow the directions on websiteX to get to the gauges, but then just plug and play a different color LED in the back of the cluster?
Yep, like I said above, I did this mod with my 96. I just pulled the 5 bulbs from behind the cluster, replaced them with the LEDs from superbrightleds.com (I bought blue 4-LEDs per bulb, love 'em) and closed everything back up. Just make sure you get the polarity right, and if they don't work the first time you put them in, take them out of the "socket," turn them around and they should work.

I recommend it, but you do whatever you want.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:58 PM

Slack, what color did you get for em? white?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

To quote myself, if I may...

Originally Posted by SlackR237
I bought blue 4-LEDs per bulb, love 'em
There are some hotspots (areas where the light is brighter than others) on the gauges, but nothing too bad and neither I nor anyone else that has commented on them have noticed. Well, I take that back, I notice when I look for it, but not in everyday driving.