4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wasted Guy + Rain = Wreck!! *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wasted Guy + Rain = Wreck!! *UPDATE*

Some of you may remember my wreck about a month ago - drunk guy in an Astro hits a Hertz rental Kia, which slams into me. As promising as the scenario looked, everyone decided to stick something up my butt.

Hertz is not obligated to pay for my damage because the Kia only hit me because the Astro hit him, so naturally - Hertz denied my claim. And neither my self nor State Farm has the "legal right" to challenge their denial. This puts the blame entirely on the Astro, who turned out to be UNINSURED!

State Farm is "like a good neighbor" eh? My ****. When I bought the Max I stepped up from liability to comprehensive, but the secretary kept spitting out a bunch of industry jargon during the discussion. I cut to the chase and said "I want coverage in every situation unless I drive off the road all by myself and hit a tree." So she says no prob, this comprehensive coverage is what you want. I call State Farm regarding the accident and they tell me that I do not have uninsured motorists coverage and my "KY No-Fault" coverage only includes bodily injury to people involved and has nothing to do with auto damage (which still baffles me and makes no sense). If you don't know about No Fault stuff, its a BS system in which many wrecks don't access blame and each car's insurance pays to fix only their car, which contradicts what State Farm tells me!

So if I want my money, I have to take the drunk guy to small claims court and get money via wage garnishment. This will be a bigger hassle than anything else for two reasons:

1. Hertz already has a claim filed. I will have to either wait until Hertz gets their money in full before getting paid or they will pay us both at the same time in smaller amounts.

2. The drunk guy has no obligation to notify the courts if he gets fired or gets a new job. So every time I miss a check I will have to go down to the courthouse, check his records, and (if he has a new job) fill out a bunch of paperwork to begin garnishing those wages. And if he's unemployed I'm just fcuked. Why the system is on his side more than mine is a mystery! A cop buddy of mine has seen instances where people will frequently change jobs on purpose to try and avoid garnishment, and it often works because people get tired of tracking them down and filling out paperwork. And the crappier his job is, the smaller my checks will be. I mean seriously - he was wasted at 8pm on a Wednesday night wearing cutoff sweatpants and socks with no shoes.... not a good sign of a guy with a promising career.

I'm getting screwed from every angle on this one, and my viable options are just as crappy. I've been I think.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That totally sukcs big time.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:04 AM
G

that really does suck. how bad is the damage?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaTodd
that really does suck. how bad is the damage?
I don't think there's any structural damage to the bumper, but it's all scuffed and scratched up. The muffler (stock) is dented and I can now hear a small leak somewhere - have yet to inspect all the piping and try to pinpoint it. Pics are on page 2 of my CarDomain homepage. I know it's not that bad, but it's the principle that burns like herpes -- I did nothing wrong and shouldn't pay.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sucks to live in no fault states.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:20 AM

damn guess i will be calling state farm today makeing sure i have uninsured motorists coverage
Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

that sux, and that drunk guy is practically getting away w/ it all

bet you wish you could do this to that drunk *****

Drunk Guy -> <- You

You -> <- Drunk Guy
Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 PM

that's horsesh*t. i dropped state farm like a std ridden ex-girlfriend after one of their agents treated me like crap over a comp. claim (hail damage). i switched to erie insurance. i have better coverage (including uninsured motorists), and my premiums are less... you should check into another company maybe after this fiasco
Old 12-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I highly recommend amica insurance. I was referred to the and recently had a deer hit. They were more then helpful and covered everything very well. They even cover my rims. Let me know if you switch.

www.amica.com

* I am in no way associated with the above company except that they insure my car. *
Old 12-14-2004, 08:56 PM

I remember your accident and it sucks to hear about the aftermath. Atleast the damage is relativly lite.
Couldnt you sue hertz for rear ending you and have Hertz add onto their claim to cover your damages?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 PM
vsamoylov

man that sucks. at least it isnt what i thought it was. i thought it was like your rear end was gone completly. then it would suck even more. but good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by MaxNismo1
I mean seriously - he was wasted at 8pm on a Wednesday night wearing cutoff sweatpants and socks with no shoes.... not a good sign of a guy with a promising career.
literally LOL

Sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:10 AM

Hrm, i was rearended by a guy who was rearended and the insurance company of the guy who hit me wrote me the check.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:26 AM

This is a terrible situation. It seems like you've pursued every possible avenue in trying to get compensated for your loss. It is too bad that your State Farm agent didn't understand your needs at the time, although it looks like you were pretty clear. I have filed two claims with State Farm in two years (no fault) and they have promptly addressed my concerns and issued payment in a timely manner. IMO, I would call your agent and tell them they did a poor job at meeting your needs and that you were very specific as to what coverage you wanted. Second, file a complaint with State Farm and tell them you are unsatisfied with their performance. Third, find a new agent.

Your damage appears minimal. It is fortunate that there is no body damage. IMO, I wouldn't continue to spend anymore of your time or resources in trying to get this resolved. Pursuing it any further is a going to be a pain in the ****.
Buy a bumper, muffler and tip (hangers if needed) and have the bumper painted ONLY.

It simply isn't worth the frustration. Call it a loss and move on. Good luck, man!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Supermax95
Hrm, i was rearended by a guy who was rearended and the insurance company of the guy who hit me wrote me the check.
That's why I don't get, either.... how can Hertz just deny my claim and then wash their hands of it? I was always under the impression that you pay to fix the damage that you do - if the drunk guy started a 50 car pile-up, would he be responsible for all 50 cars?? I highly doubt it, so why does that idea apply here?

I tried to get S.F. to call Hertz to see what the deal was, and they wouldn't. They insisted that they don't have the "legal right" to challenge it, and that even CALLING to ask/talk about it is illegal. WTF?

I am definitely switching insurance companies when this pay period ends (April). Whoever said Amica, thanks - hadn't thought of them yet. My father has used this SF agent (Bob Newman) for over 40 years - he has spoken to him on the phone twice and seen him in person once. In 40 years!!! He has his secretaries do everything, and they're *****es most of the time and will tell you one thing on Monday and another thing on Tuesday. I got the most info out of them when I had to put my father on the phone (yes, I'm 24 years old and had to have my daddy call) because he's developed a good relationship with one of the secretaries, but even she wouldn't budge as far as sticking up for me.

My plans are to cut my losses and just walk away from this with my fists clenched. It's an incredible pile of BS that I can't fight, so F-it. I would spend more money fighting it than I would to fix my Max out of pocket.

The bottom line here is that State Farm can't get screwed into paying to fix my car. If I had collision or uninsured coverage, they'd have to fix my car regardless of the scenario -- and then you're damn sure they'd be taking Hertz and the drunk guy to court to get their money back out of it. But since SF isn't getting screwed, they don't care what happens to me because they don't have to open their check book.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:42 AM

I was hit by an uninsured guy, and was able to get the court to make my damages part of his fine(punishment), so eventually I was able to get my repairs covered. If he hasnt already been convicted, you maybe able to get a judgment like that against the drunk, or the uninsured guy(depending on your states insurance laws). Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 AM

go down to there office and start *****ing them all out, and smack bobby on the head for being a fat piece of $hit. this is bull, that's why you have insurance....incase $hit happens you get your car fixed....ugh! im sorry bro...good luck.

Tony
Old 12-15-2004, 07:55 PM

I would change agents since it seems like the one you have now is a punk. I had a claim with State Farm in September and they covered all of it. They even paid for a guy to clean the inside of my car. (There was blood in it)... My agent was awesome. You should call higher ups in the company and tell them what happened. She could have sold you a better/more money policy and all would be good right now. I would then tell your agent that they suck and that you are staying with the company, just changing agents... that would get her riled up...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
I would change agents since it seems like the one you have now is a punk. I had a claim with State Farm in September and they covered all of it. They even paid for a guy to clean the inside of my car. (There was blood in it)... My agent was awesome. You should call higher ups in the company and tell them what happened. She could have sold you a better/more money policy and all would be good right now. I would then tell your agent that they suck and that you are staying with the company, just changing agents... that would get her riled up...
I'll probably leave State Farm entirely, but I will announce my departure in person at the office. Maybe I'll see if those Geico ads are full of shyte or not....
Old 12-15-2004, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MaxNismo1
That's why I don't get, either.... how can Hertz just deny my claim and then wash their hands of it? I was always under the impression that you pay to fix the damage that you do - if the drunk guy started a 50 car pile-up, would he be responsible for all 50 cars?? I highly doubt it, so why does that idea apply here?

I tried to get S.F. to call Hertz to see what the deal was, and they wouldn't. They insisted that they don't have the "legal right" to challenge it, and that even CALLING to ask/talk about it is illegal. WTF?

I am definitely switching insurance companies when this pay period ends (April). Whoever said Amica, thanks - hadn't thought of them yet. My father has used this SF agent (Bob Newman) for over 40 years - he has spoken to him on the phone twice and seen him in person once. In 40 years!!! He has his secretaries do everything, and they're *****es most of the time and will tell you one thing on Monday and another thing on Tuesday. I got the most info out of them when I had to put my father on the phone (yes, I'm 24 years old and had to have my daddy call) because he's developed a good relationship with one of the secretaries, but even she wouldn't budge as far as sticking up for me.

My plans are to cut my losses and just walk away from this with my fists clenched. It's an incredible pile of BS that I can't fight, so F-it. I would spend more money fighting it than I would to fix my Max out of pocket.

The bottom line here is that State Farm can't get screwed into paying to fix my car. If I had collision or uninsured coverage, they'd have to fix my car regardless of the scenario -- and then you're damn sure they'd be taking Hertz and the drunk guy to court to get their money back out of it. But since SF isn't getting screwed, they don't care what happens to me because they don't have to open their check book.
You have to call them yourself! Its how you get things done. Obviously State Farm is hella lagging.