4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car jacking questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 10:40 PM

whats the easiest was to get to the alarm system wires after breaking into the window? hhmm... alright my real question is, can you jack the back half of the car using the beam that goes across from the left tire to right? also, you can jack the car from the sides anywhere along the frame that's right under the doors parallel to the ground right? my friend told me that and said that there is no exact spot you need to put it, is he right? thanks
Old 04-22-2001, 03:36 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I've lifted the rear from the beam... No apparent ill effects so far...

As for the sides... ONLY AT THE DESIGNATED AREAS! between the two notches... or you'll bend part of the rail like I did... It looks bad afterwards...

Originally posted by _DRU_
whats the easiest was to get to the alarm system wires after breaking into the window? hhmm... alright my real question is, can you jack the back half of the car using the beam that goes across from the left tire to right? also, you can jack the car from the sides anywhere along the frame that's right under the doors parallel to the ground right? my friend told me that and said that there is no exact spot you need to put it, is he right? thanks
Old 04-22-2001, 10:00 AM

Garage jack points

Originally posted by _DRU_
... can you jack the back half of the car using the beam that goes across from the left tire to right? also, you can jack the car from the sides anywhere along the frame that's right under the doors parallel to the ground right? my friend told me that and said that there is no exact spot you need to put it, is he right? thanks
The Maxima factory service manual identifies two "garage jack points":

(1) The leading end of the fore-and-aft stamped steel brace which is under the engine/transaxle in the center of the vehicle. Jacking at this point raises the entire front of the vehicle.

(2) The center point of the rear axle. Jacking at this point raises the entire rear of the vehicle.

I replaced the original cup-like steel saddle on my floor jack with a rubber-faced flat plate (Harbor Freight #36004, $10 +s/h, or equivalent.) This is kinder to the car, marks it up less. Another approach would be to fashion a rubber insert for your cup-like saddle. Collect one of those truck tire treads which litter the highway roadside. Look for a thick one. Cut out a piece which will fit inside the saddle. Let it "float" or secure it with a big gob of adhesive, as you wish.